PhD/PsyD Advice on choosing internship sites. Pros/Cons for post-doc and beyond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enduroevo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to a wide range of sites that seem to fit what you might want to do down the road. As I read through your questions, the answer that comes to mind is - it depends. Ultimately, any APA internship will help get you to the next step whatever that might be. I did a year practicum at a VA, internship at a state hopsital, post-doc at a CMH. I learned from all of these. It sounds like you might want to be more involved in research than myself so that might be what you would need to focus on. Clinical experience will be provided no matter what, good research experience is more site dependent.

Apply to a wide range of sites that seem to fit what you might want to do down the road. As I read through your questions, the answer that comes to mind is - it depends. Ultimately, any APA internship will help get you to the next step whatever that might be. I did a year practicum at a VA, internship at a state hopsital, post-doc at a CMH. I learned from all of these. It sounds like you might want to be more involved in research than myself so that might be what you would need to focus on. Clinical experience will be provided no matter what, good research experience is more site dependent.

Agreed in full. It depends.