Advice on classes please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prehealth92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking just 2 classes for my major for my last semester in college to save money and to study for the DAT. I'm graduating this May and taking a gap year during which time I will take more classes that were not offered at my school.
Is this a bad idea? Would it look worse if I took 1 of the classes pass/fail? Should I get a part-time job to make it seem like I didn't slack off?

Members don't see this ad.

Will your college allow you to just take the 2 classes? Do you get any financial aid or student loans? If so, you will drop under the required credits and lose that money. What classes do you plan on taking in your gap year and why are you taking a gap year. What is your current GPA? I guess I am trying to understand your thought process for doing this.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, i dont understand either. How would taking less classes be cheaper? If you're still a undergrad student, you should still be paying the same amount regardless of how many classes you are taking.

What classes are you taking after graduating? Why would it look bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing more or less the same thing.
I'm taking 9 credits this semester as a senior as well because my school offers different tuition rates for part-time (<12 credits) while studying to retake the DAT and am planning on taking upper level bio classes (like anatomy and physiology) at another university in my gap year (because my GPA is on the lower end) that will essentially be cheaper and more convenient based on where I live. Kind of like an informal post-bacc if I'm not mistaken. I was also planning on getting a part-time job either in research or a dental clinic.

Will your college allow you to just take the 2 classes? Do you get any financial aid or student loans? If so, you will drop under the required credits and lose that money. What classes do you plan on taking in your gap year and why are you taking a gap year. What is your current GPA? I guess I am trying to understand your thought process for doing this.
Thank you for your reply! My college allows seniors in their last semester to under-load. I still get financial aid, and it's actually cheapest if I take 2 classes. If I took 1 class, I would lose fin aid, and if I took 3 classes, it wouldn't make much of a difference. I am taking a gap year because I was not ready to apply at the end of my junior year. I plan on taking upper level science courses. My current GPA with summer classes is a 3.4, and I know it's on the low end for dental school. But, my main question was whether or not it would look bad if I underloaded for 1 semester.

Yeah, i dont understand either. How would taking less classes be cheaper? If you're still a undergrad student, you should still be paying the same amount regardless of how many classes you are taking.

What classes are you taking after graduating? Why would it look bad?
It is cheaper because I am still receiving financial aid, and I am paying by credit hour. My main concern was that it would look bad if I took just 2 classes during my last semester in college, especially if I chose to take one of those classes pass/fail. Thanks again!