Advice on dropping summer class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikecake

2021 (ᵔᴥᵔ)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started a new class yesterday, and it's going to be a ton of work on top of my job and applications. It's not a required class, just an upper-level science course that I wanted to take to take. Today is my last chance to drop it and I'm seriously considering it (I just spent 6 weeks studying 2 other difficult classes). However, I'm reading the school website, and one site says that I have to drop with a W, and the other says that I have one week into the class to drop without a W. IF I get a W, will that negatively impact my application? My GPA isn't the greatest, but I have great GRE scores and tons of experience. I'm not sure what to do and wanted some outside perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Your best option is not to drop if you are going to receive a W. If you can do it without getting a W then drop it.

Having a W isn't the most ideal. But, the way I look at it, there's two possibilities if you don't drop it. Either you have enough time for this class and do well, and all is peachy. But, if you don't have the time currently to put effort into this class and do poorly, then that's another bad grade that'll count toward your GPA.

W's don't count toward your GPA. They aren't great to have, but having one won't hurt you as much as something like an F. And for a class that isn't required, it's something that gives pause.

I applied with two W's and an average-ish (3.5) UG GPA. My W's were due to a bout with serious illness, but I opted not to explain them. Maybe I would if there was a pattern of behavior, like multiple withdrawals or a semester where I withdrew from all my classes though. One W though? The admissions teams at your schools would better be able to say, but I find it hard to believe one W is going to be this massive red flag that makes an admissions team reconsider you.

It sounds like you've thought about where your limits are. We only have so much time in they day. Decide how much time this class needs, and assess whether you have time to dedicate that between all your obligations. If you can do it, definitely do it and give it your best because that option (getting a good grade and sticking with it when things are difficult) IS probably better than withdrawing. But if you have so many things that you aren't sure you can do the work needed, withdrawing may be the best option you have.