Advice on getting a job as a Hospital Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblewrap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be a hospital pharmacist in the future, but I know the field is very competitive. Some people have told me that I should get close to the manager of the hospitals and such when I'm on rotations, however, the area I want to work in is not the same area I'm doing my rotations at. Thus, I can't make a good impression on anybody. Plus, there is a pharmacy school (not the pharmacy school that I'm attending) close to the area I want to work.

I've decided that I don't want to do residencies either (well its more like I CAN'T do residencies)----I know this is going to be a big disadvantage for me.

Any advice on how to get a job in a hospital setting?

I am also thinking about research pharmacy. I read a lot of stuff about it, but I'm not sure right now because I don't have a research background or a bachelors degree (I know, another disadvantage -_- ).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No residency, no connections?

1) Rural.
2) Overnight.
3) Rural overnight.

Those were my options.

Reactions: 2 users
gtpederson is pretty much right in the current climate. Daytime pharmacists are increasingly expected to perform clinical tasks. It's not that you couldn't do many of those things, but it give DOP's a reason to require those pharmacists have a residency or equivalent experience.

So, without a residency you can get a big hospital day job, it will just take several years longer to get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I suppose I can't get a job in a hospital. How about research pharmacy?

I feel like my only option is retail, though its not a bad thing, however, I would like to see some other options for me.

It's not impossible to do research but a Ph.D. Would lead to many more doors opening.

I am a hospital pharmacist who graduated 9 years ago, no residency - so definitely not the same as the situation today.

Local pharmacy school sent us statistics - 2% of their 2013 grads got a job in a hospital right out of graduation (obviously no residency) - so it is possible, but odds stacked against you.

What I did - I took a job at a VERY SMALL hospital in the middle of nowhere that was hard to staff, it got my foot in the door. Then I took a job that was 100% second shifts in a larger hospital (where I still am). Then transitioned to day shifts .

But yes - likely you will have to take a route less traveled, but is possible

Reactions: 1 user
I started in 2010 as an overnight pharmacist. Slowly requested more "clinically" focused tasks be added such as clinical reports, responding to overnight stokes and codes, core measure compliance. After 3 years when there was a dayshift opening I applied and now I'm a hybrid staff/clinical day pharmacist

I started in 2010 as an overnight pharmacist. Slowly requested more "clinically" focused tasks be added such as clinical reports, responding to overnight stokes and codes, core measure compliance. After 3 years when there was a dayshift opening I applied and now I'm a hybrid staff/clinical day pharmacist
I like the hybrid model - that is what we do - 95% of us are happy with it - the other 5% came from large academic institutions that think distributive work is below them = fools

I pretty much got one straight out of school. Applied for a hospital in Westchester, interviewed there, was told that they couldn't wait until I got my license (1-2 months) but to call them back when I did. Got my license, called them back, they referred me to a hospital closer to me that was hiring.

2 years later I'm transferring to the peds hospital for that health system.

I shadowed a staff pharmacist at a decentralized pharmacy and god was it boring. There was no patient interaction which was sort of a turn off for me. Order entry and vanco consults all day. What does a clinical pharmacist do as opposed to staff?

I shadowed a staff pharmacist at a decentralized pharmacy and god was it boring. There was no patient interaction which was sort of a turn off for me. Order entry and vanco consults all day. What does a clinical pharmacist do as opposed to staff?

Unless they have you doing discharge counseling/med rec, there is very little patient interaction in hospital pharmacy.

Clinical Pharmacists have more patient interaction than a staff pharmacist in a hospital. Clinical Pharmacists are usually on the floors working up patients and communicating with doctors and other health professionals about drug regimens and such. I originally wanted to do clinical pharmacy when I came into pharmacy school but obtaining a residency is way too competitive. There are very successful students in my school who applied for residencies and didn't get matched, so I ditched my dreams of clinical pharmacy. I kinda gave up on the future at this point and my grades ended up slipping, so now I can't get a residency even if I tried -_-

Now I really want to go for a staff pharmacy position at a hospital and my second choice would be research, but those spots are kind of hard for me to obtain now that I've looked into it....

Just apply! Several students from my alma mater got hospital jobs without residency. Places like Children's, Baylor, OU Medical, etc. Residencies are overrated.

I agree with the previous post. A lot will depend on who is hiring, what time of year, and how you present yourself as a 'match' for the position. As far as advice, one of the most important things we look for is someone who will stick around for the long term. Training new people is very cumbersome and complicates the schedule for a good six months or more. Clinical acumen, competency, etc. is important, but having someone who is easy to get along with and won't leave after 2 years is easily just as important. Think of ways to [honestly and convincingly] communicate this in an interview.

Personally, I love working in a smaller 'rural' hospital. It has many advantages over larger institutions. I graduated in 2011, got the job here with my one and only interview/application. Coming up on year #3, and I still don't see myself wanting to leave anytime soon. Hell, I'm probably going to retire here.

Not many of my classmates can say the same thing these days.

Reactions: 1 users
I like the hybrid model - that is what we do - 95% of us are happy with it - the other 5% came from large academic institutions that think distributive work is below them = fools

I do not think distributive work is below me at all. I just don't particularity enjoy doing it and I am happy that I do not have to do it.

I agree with the previous post. A lot will depend on who is hiring, what time of year, and how you present yourself as a 'match' for the position. As far as advice, one of the most important things we look for is someone who will stick around for the long term. Training new people is very cumbersome and complicates the schedule for a good six months or more. Clinical acumen, competency, etc. is important, but having someone who is easy to get along with and won't leave after 2 years is easily just as important. Think of ways to [honestly and convincingly] communicate this in an interview.

Personally, I love working in a smaller 'rural' hospital. It has many advantages over larger institutions. I graduated in 2011, got the job here with my one and only interview/application. Coming up on year #3, and I still don't see myself wanting to leave anytime soon. Hell, I'm probably going to retire here.

I lie about this all the ****ing time. I see myself constantly changing jobs for more pay.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping to be a hospital pharmacist in the future, but I know the field is very competitive. Some people have told me that I should get close to the manager of the hospitals and such when I'm on rotations, however, the area I want to work in is not the same area I'm doing my rotations at. Thus, I can't make a good impression on anybody. Plus, there is a pharmacy school (not the pharmacy school that I'm attending) close to the area I want to work.

I've decided that I don't want to do residencies either (well its more like I CAN'T do residencies)----I know this is going to be a big disadvantage for me.

Any advice on how to get a job in a hospital setting?

I am also thinking about research pharmacy. I read a lot of stuff about it, but I'm not sure right now because I don't have a research background or a bachelors degree (I know, another disadvantage -_- ).

How about volunteering at the hospital where you want to work?

I worked as an intern for 3 years at the hospital where I currently work. Working almost every weekend was tough as a student but it paid off when I was offered a pharmacist position after graduation and getting my license. Many of my classmates who are completing a residency tell me they rather be in my position because completion of a residency does not always guarantee a job. Nowadays, completion of a PGY-1 residency qualify you for a staff/hybrid clinical pharmacist position and you would need to complete a PGY-2 to get a clinical heavy/teaching pharmacist position.

Just like you I prefer small/rural area hospital. I had couple rotations in rural hospitals and love it. However, i plan to move to different state after graduation. Had spent the last 2-3 mons applied online for hospital position but without a single interview.

How/Where did you look for hospital positions? will be graduating soon but without an offer gives me stress

Clinical acumen, competency, etc. is important, but having someone who is easy to get along with and won't leave after 2 years is easily just as important. Think of ways to [honestly and convincingly] communicate this in an interview.

I second this. I landed a pretty nice job working evenings at a great hospital in the Miami metro area without a residency. I really think I was offered the position because I showed them I was easy to get along with and very enthusiastic about developing my skills further. The tricky part is just getting the interview.

It's not impossible to do research but a Ph.D. Would lead to many more doors opening.

CROs are good way to get into research. I had several headhunter and inside contacts for DOP/lead pharmact from that direction. Pay would be the same but more profit sharing potential. Further more, you wont conastantly have corporate on your ass about cutting drug cost PPD.

But keep in mind that is very niche. Many operate under the rules/regs of a clinic/doc office, dispensing by protocols, complete!y separate from real world practice. A few years there, you may lose so much knowledge and skill set that you may be stuck. That's what is giving me pause. Although one way to keep semi current is to keep a PRN side gig at a hospital.

Last edited:
Almost got a job right out of school at a great hospital in NYC but didn't apply. LOL!

Probably a mistake