Advice on Getting Involved in Lasik

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyegal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a low volume Lasik surgeon (something I love to do, and wish I could do more), I have not completed a fellowship in Cornea. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get more involved in Lasik or how to acquire a Lasik position?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a low volume Lasik surgeon (something I love to do, and wish I could do more), I have not completed a fellowship in Cornea. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get more involved in Lasik or how to acquire a Lasik position?

For the record...I am a practicing OPTOMETRIST but I have run clinics that do refractive surgery in the past so I have some experience with this and have worked with surgeons in your position....

If you're asking how to get more experience doing LASIK and you work/live in a large metro area, a good way of doing it is "whoring" yourself out to one of those $299 per eye high volume LASIK places. Obviously, there are serious downsides to that that you have to consider but it is a fairly decent way to get you access to a high volume of "routine" patients.

If you're asking how to get more of your own patients to do LASIK then a possibility is to contact a local center that has a laser that is not being used a day or two a week and offer to lease the space. This will save you the cost and expense of setting up your own surgical suite. Not only will you have a place to bring "your" patients but you may pick up some from the leasing center. For example, a patient may have Wednesdays off and want to do surgery on Wednesday, but the normal surgeon isn't in the office on Wednesdays. You can work out an arrangement whereby you can do the surgery.

Good luck with that.

any suggestions on some of the high volume lasik centers that I might be able to contact. i already belong to an open center where i bring my own patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
any suggestions on some of the high volume lasik centers that I might be able to contact. i already belong to an open center where i bring my own patients.

Have you considered doing a refractive fellowship?

That might improve your marketability, give you some high-volume experience and make you more attractive to a commercial LASIK company, if you wanted to go that way.

Based on your previous post regarding help with cataract surgery, I would strongly recommend you perform a one year cornea/refractive fellowship. There are several programs that offer high volume cataract/lasik numbers which would improve your technique and give you more confidence. Furthermore, most lasik centers will only hire MDs who have undergone cornea fellowships and have significant experience (places like Lasikplus will want several hundred cases, TLC will want more).