This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenyitmedicineman

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend and I (first-years) have been working on a google site to be a comprehensive resource for those trying to make a decision on whether or not to join the HPSP. Its a recount of all of our experiences in the program and some advice for future HPSP students.

It's a work in progress, but its definitely worth a look:
https://sites.google.com/site/myarmyhpspexperience/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i actually book marked that yesterday. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is important to keep in mind that the military experience of a medical student will be vastly different than an attending or even a resident. The blog's pro vs con list leaves out many potential categories that a first year medical student may not even be aware of, for example, battalion surgeon tours, funding cuts for CME, decreased physician reimbursement, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
It is important to keep in mind that the military experience of a medical student will be vastly different than an attending or even a resident. The blog's pro vs con list leaves out many potential categories that a first year medical student may not even be aware of, for example, battalion surgeon tours, funding cuts for CME, decreased physician reimbursement, etc.
I think that is the point. The blog is highlighting one naive student's progress through the program so that it may be more applicable to other students who are in the dark. It is not meant to be a definitive guide, just one student's experience. As we make our way through the program, we will do our best to update the website to better reflect the reality of the HPSP. This way, it will have the perspective of a first-year medical student with the experience of a more seasoned one.

I think that is the point. The blog is highlighting one naive student's progress through the program so that it may be more applicable to other students who are in the dark. It is not meant to be a definitive guide, just one student's experience. As we make our way through the program, we will do our best to update the website to better reflect the reality of the HPSP. This way, it will have the perspective of a first-year medical student with the experience of a more seasoned one.

I think that is great. I certainly don't mean to demean the work you are doing. While I agree that there is plenty of worth to reading about medical students' perspectives, I wanted to highlight the potential deficiencies of trying to advertise it as being a "complete resource for those trying to make a decision on whether or not to join the HPSP."

I think that is great. I certainly don't mean to demean the work you are doing. While I agree that there is plenty of worth to reading about medical students' perspectives, I wanted to highlight the potential deficiencies of trying to advertise it as being a "complete resource for those trying to make a decision on whether or not to join the HPSP."
I appreciate your feedback. I didn't realize the alternative meaning of "complete resource." I meant it as it addresses numerous aspects of the HPSP: timeline, finances, training, etc. I'll fix the wording.

HPSP really does a great job of babying the medical student all the way through residency. It's the service obligation after residency that those docs begin to feel the pain.

Sometimes that pain begins before one gets a chance to finish residency.

Or before one gets the chance to start residency.

Point is, the "gotchas" of HPSP don't become apparent until closer to 4th year of med school--and then just keep piling on from there. I was a huge fan of my scholarship until I decided I wanted to go into a surgical subspecialty. Now I just consider myself fortunate that I've had a quality intern year and an uncharacteristically awesome GMO assignment.