advice on matching /what's more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unbreakable619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a foreign medical graduate looking to apply for psychiatry next cycle. I graduated last year and was on tract for the match this year when I unexpectedly failed my Step 2 CK. I am planning on retaking it in 2 months. What do you guys think is the best course of action for me until application deadlines?
My plan was to take Step 2 CK, pass, get an observership in psychiatry somewhere, get a LOR, and if there was time, do my step 3. But every place I have contacted is either booked until Dec or next year for an observership or costs serious $$$$.

I have two big red flags.
My stats:
2014 Graduate from small Southeast Asian school (1 course remediated), US Citizen
Step 1: 197 pass first time
Step 2CS: pass first time
Step 2CK: fail

I have a clear history of interest in psychiatry from undergraduate volunteering and current volunteering efforts (I volunteer for a crisis hotline and work as a health counselor). I have 2 letters from psychiatrists but they will be dated from 2014, 1 IM and 1 FM letter all US docs. Do you think its more important for me to get another letter/observership or to pass my step 3? Ideally I would like to do both, but September is coming fast.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok thanks. So do you think I should definitely try to get my step 3 done before September?