Advice on MCAT 2015 (important)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I've read a lot about the differences between the old and new mcat. In all honesty, I am not sure which one to take. I know that I want to take a prep course and study a lot for it beforehand. Right now, I have completed Biology 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, and Orgo 1. I am currently a sophomore. Right now, I am taking Orgo 2, Orgo 1 lab (I took Orgo over summer), genetics, applied calc 2, social psych and sociology. I was planning to take physics 1 and lab next sem, and then physics 2 and lab over summer, but now I'm kind of getting iffy on if I should take the old mcat, looking at reviews and the difficulty of the new exam. I was thinking about maybe dropping my genetics class or calc and taking physics along side with orgo, so I have all the reqs done. the thing is, im not sure what schools will take old mcat vs new mcat. Plus I really dont want to have to take the new mcat based on how hard it is- it's already bad enough.

So I'm wondering on what my best option is- what's the best route to take?

If someone could please give me some advice/tips/ suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be extremely surprised if schools refused to accept old MCAT scores since they are valid for some number of years (2?). I assume that they will take any old MCAT scores that would be otherwise valid. You can always contact a couple of schools to ask in any case.

The big question is if you think you can be ready for the test in time. While I would personally take the old test, I would only do so if I was confident I could be fully prepared. There is no point in taking the old exam if you are going to do poorly, so it really comes down to how you think you are doing. All that being said, you are going to have to take physics at some point no matter what, so you don't really lose anything by doing it now and keeping your options open.