Advice on my study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aglet01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall I take genetics, organic 1, and physics 1 and in the spring I take cell bio, physics 2, and organic 2. My spring semester ends in late April, and I plan on taking the MCAT in July. Is it a good idea to take the exam right after I finish my pre-reqs, with 2 months of study time in between? Any advice would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

This fall I take genetics, organic 1, and physics 1 and in the spring I take cell bio, physics 2, and organic 2. My spring semester ends in late April, and I plan on taking the MCAT in July. Is it a good idea to take the exam right after I finish my pre-reqs, with 2 months of study time in between? Any advice would be great!!

If I were you I'd aim for the June 20 exam. Purchase a set of MCAT study materials now and work through the study materials as you progress through your prereqs.

For example, when you start your OChem class in the fall the first reactions you'll learn are SN2 and SN1. You'll likely know more about SN2 and SN1 reactions at this time than any other time in your life. This is when you break out the MCAT study materials on these same reactions. Continue to work your way through the MCAT study materials as you progress through your prereqs. Create your own MCAT study guide as you work your way through the prereqs and MCAT material and continue to add to it and review it as you progress.

You will benefit from this in several ways. First, you need to retain all the information you learn in physics I and Ochem 1 for Physics II and Ochem II. By creating a study guide and reviewing it you will keep all the information you learn fresh on your mind not only for the MCAT but also for your spring classes.

Second, you are essentially killing two birds with one stone. You are using the MCAT material to reinforce your understanding of the material in your courses and vice versa.

If you stick to this schedule, by the time you finish your prereqs in April, all the information you need to know should be fresh on your mind. You can dive right into practice tests. June 20 should give you plenty of time to work your way through all of the AAMC tests and perfect your test taking strategy.

The only other suggestions I might make is to switch out Cell Bio for Biochem if you haven't already taken it. I feel like Biochem will help you tremendously when you are trying to read convoluted passages describing metabolic pathways. Biochem also does an excellent job of bridging everything you've learned so you get the "big picture".