advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to 2006 data, between 1600-1800 applications are typically received, and that includes all applicants (ie, dental, nursing, PA....). 30-50% of recipients qualified as disadvantaged and/or minority candidates.

What the data don't state is how many of the applications were actually completed apps. Older data suggest that approx. 900 interviews were conducted for 100+ scholarships, so that would indicate in the past, that approx half of the applicants were considered well-qualified. This year, with the major changes in the application, I want to say there will be fewer applicants.

This, by the way, suggests that their website's data of 1:7 odds of getting a scholarship are total BS. That stat MAY be true if you are a minority/disadvantaged candidate (and this year those odds may be even better!).
I imagine the pool is MUCH smaller this year given the time frame and the summer LOR. So I'm optimistic!

Does anyone know what we are supposed to do about the direct deposit form on the checklist of documents to send in? I didn't see a form in the supplemental documents for this. Thanks for the help!
Here's the form: http://www.fms.treas.gov/eft/1199a.pdf

Finally got my LOR...apparently my advisor lost his internet connection for 3 weeks, so he couldnt get my email or LOR form. Thankfully he got it back yesterday *phew* And a hundred thank yous to montessori for helping out with the acceptance verification. It feels so good to have this app complete!

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine the pool is MUCH smaller this year given the time frame and the summer LOR. So I'm optimistic!

Here's the form: http://www.fms.treas.gov/eft/1199a.pdf

Finally got my LOR...apparently my advisor lost his internet connection for 3 weeks, so he couldnt get my email or LOR form. Thankfully he got it back yesterday *phew* And a hundred thank yous to montessori for helping out with the acceptance verification. It feels so good to have this app complete!

No problem : ) Good luck to everyone! Though I'm pulling for you and I, it would be nice if there was more than one scholar in the class!

How many awards are typically made in a given year, and how many applications are received? The Scholarship Program receives 1,500 to 1,700 applications; 160 to 190 awards are made.

from:http://blsmeetings.net/ambassadors06-post/Friday Nuts and Bolts for Meeting 7 6 06.doc

This was my source, it's notes from a 2006 meeting for NHSC ambassadors.

Once again, doesn't include a breakdown for how many were md/do vs other health professions. And once again, still think that the posted applicant:award ratio is total BS, particularly for non-disadvantaged applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the claim or payroll ID number is for the 1199 direct deposit form we have to fill out? Or what the type of payment is? Thanks!

Thank you for your inquiry to the HRSA Call Center. Please use the following instructions to complete the Direct Deposit Form;

Section 1:

For Part C-Claim or payroll ID number, enter social security number
For Part F-Type of payment, check other and put NHSC or leave blank

Section 2: can be left blank

Section 3: must be completed by the bank

Document must be signed and dated where specified.

In the Depositor Account Title Section you should put the account holder(s) name(s).

If you require further assistance, please contact the call center. We are available 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday Eastern time.

Thank you,
Cecilia M.

National Health Service Corps
800.221.9393 (toll free)

I am glad to see I am not the only person scrambling to get my app in...Just two more essays to go and then overnighting tommorow. Good luck to everyone (I am secretly hoping that there are so few applicants that we all recieve an award!!! ) : )

Ok, I am working on this application too, but had a few questions about the program. I am really interested in Child Pyschiatry. I was figuring that I would have to do a general Pysch residency, then my commitment, and then go on to child psych. But someone mentioned that is special cases someone could do child pysch before their commitment. And what is this about a residency counting as commitment time? Finally, has anyone been through this program and have any pros and cons to list. Thanks!

No problem : ) Good luck to everyone! Though I'm pulling for you and I, it would be nice if there was more than one scholar in the class!
right back at you! :)

Ok, I am working on this application too, but had a few questions about the program. I am really interested in Child Pyschiatry. I was figuring that I would have to do a general Pysch residency, then my commitment, and then go on to child psych. But someone mentioned that is special cases someone could do child pysch before their commitment. And what is this about a residency counting as commitment time? Finally, has anyone been through this program and have any pros and cons to list. Thanks!
Here's a quote from the applicant bulletin:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The BCRS may approve, on a case-by-case basis, consistent with the needs of the NHSC, requests submitted by clinicians in their last year of residency training for a single year of additional training in three specific fellowships:.
  1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A 1-year Child Psychiatry Fellowship which may follow the completion of residency training in Psychiatry;.
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A 1-year Obstetrics/Gynecology Fellowship which may follow the completion of residency training in Family Practice; and.
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A 1-year Geriatrics Fellowship which may follow the completion of residency training in Family Practice or General Internal Medicine..
I think I read somewhere that they are lenient with this regard. So you should be able to finish up your 1-yr Child Psych fellowship and THEN fulfill your commitment.
But, to answer your other question, residency/fellowship training does not count toward your commitment.
I am secretly hoping that there are so few applicants that we all recieve an award!!! : )
hehe...if only! Of course, my fingers are crossed for you all!

Last edited:
anyone have any sense of when we might be hearing back from NHSC?

i can't bear the wait!!!

Found this in the Bulletin:

SECTION III. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANT DATES

Notify applicant of award: August - September 2008
Notify applicant of selection as alternate: September 2008
Notify applicant of non-selection for a scholarship award: October 2008
All awards completed: September 30, 2008

If you call the 1-800 number, though, the message says the following:

"Applicants selected to receive awards will be notified on an ongoing basis. Applicants not selected to receive awards will be notified in September."

great, thanks norcal.

does anyone know if we applied to be considered for 4 years of service, if we are accepted, will it necessarily be for the 4 years, or might they only decide to approve you for 2-3 years?

does anyone know if we applied to be considered for 4 years of service, if we are accepted, will it necessarily be for the 4 years, or might they only decide to approve you for 2-3 years?

Unless they've changed this aspect of this, it's understood that if you win a scholarship, it will be enough to cover the rest of your medical school career. So, in your case, 4 years.

They used to make us sign a contract with our application - you had to sign one line per year that you were applying for.

Unless they've changed this aspect of this, it's understood that if you win a scholarship, it will be enough to cover the rest of your medical school career. So, in your case, 4 years.

They used to make us sign a contract with our application - you had to sign one line per year that you were applying for.

Ohh NOOO! :scared:Well I guess that leaves one more award for one of you guys. When signing my scholarship application I only signed the first line, but my intention was to apply for all 4 years. I was under the impression that if awarded the scholarship I would have to resign the contract each year which is why I left those lines blanks. Dammit something told me to call the hotline for that one I!:mad: I just left them a message and a email but I doubt there is anything that can be done now. This sucks especially because I worked my ass off on those essays and I got one of the deans of the medical school to write me a very strongly positive letter. Now I feel like they will just cast my entire application to the side because it will look suspicious that a first year medical student only wants aid for 1 year. I'll just have to pray on this if its God's will then I'll get it. No point stressing now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh NOOO! :scared:Well I guess that leaves one more award for one of you guys. When signing my scholarship application I only signed the first line, but my intention was to apply for all 4 years. I was under the impression that if awarded the scholarship I would have to resign the contract each year which is why I left those lines blanks. Dammit something told me to call the hotline for that one I!:mad: I just left them a message and a email but I doubt there is anything that can be done now. This sucks especially because I worked my ass off on those essays and I got one of the deans of the medical school to write me a very strongly positive letter. Now I feel like they will just cast my entire application to the side because it will look suspicious that a first year medical student only wants aid for 1 year. I'll just have to pray on this if its God's will then I'll get it. No point stressing now.

don't just leave it at that femme-- call up that hotline and wait on hold until you can talk to a real person and have them take a look at your file. explain your situation and your misunderstanding of the signature thing, and tell them that you would be happy to send another copy with 4 signatures to replace the other form. the more proactive you are, the more likely that they'll still consider you!!

don't just leave it at that femme-- call up that hotline and wait on hold until you can talk to a real person and have them take a look at your file. explain your situation and your misunderstanding of the signature thing, and tell them that you would be happy to send another copy with 4 signatures to replace the other form. the more proactive you are, the more likely that they'll still consider you!!

Aww thanks suenos for the speedy reply! Yeah I will definitely be calling first thing Monday morning. I will keep you guys posted. Although I have this weird ulcer like pang and my stomach and I feel like I just wasted my recommender's time :(. My biggest fear is that they will be like hmm didn't read the directions eh NEXXXXXT! You clearly aren't competent enough to be a physician yet alone one that works with the underserved. I know I am overeacting big time right now. I just thought I had double checked on everything. I almost wish I never read that above question about the contract. Then I would be naive to this whole thing.

Although I have this weird ulcer like pang and my stomach and I feel like I just wasted my recommender's time :(. My biggest fear is that they will be like hmm didn't read the directions eh NEXXXXXT! You clearly aren't competent enough to be a physician yet alone one that works with the underserved. I know I am overeacting big time right now. I just thought I had double checked on everything. I almost wish I never read that above question about the contract. Then I would be naive to this whole thing.

:(

Don't feel too badly - I doubt that they'll throw away your application for that reason.

Definitely follow suenos's excellent advice. But, even if you didn't do anything about it, they'd probably call you and ask you to clarify.

:(

Don't feel too badly - I doubt that they'll throw away your application for that reason.

Definitely follow suenos's excellent advice. But, even if you didn't do anything about it, they'd probably call you and ask you to clarify.

Crisis solved! :)

Ohh NOOO! :scared:Well I guess that leaves one more award for one of you guys. When signing my scholarship application I only signed the first line, but my intention was to apply for all 4 years.

I don´t know if it is still the same but you can always just extend your contract as you go. I only initially signed for two years and then signed for the other two after my first had expired. It worked without problems...a little nerve racking because there is always the small posibility of program funds being cut and no contact to continue scholarship.

I can't wait to hear back! Has anyone been contacted so far?

Best of luck to you all!! :luck: :luck:

I have not heard anything, but I think they said people who receive the award can hear back as early as August.

Still waiting...and it's now August...

If anyone out there has been contacted, would you be so kind as to post so here? It'd just be nice to know when people start getting contacted...

I think it will probably be late August when we start to hear something.

Does anyone know if the scholarship gives preference to public/state schools over private schools, since private schools would so much more expensive for them?

Does anyone know if the scholarship gives preference to public/state schools over private schools, since private schools would so much more expensive for them?

My read, from previous year's threads, is that there seem to be clusters of students at certain schools/states/regions, maybe because there is a higher need for mds in those areas, or because they are cheaper, or because those schools are more likely to have students attending who have disadvantaged status or a background that seems likely to fit well the program. Some of it is probably political as well (they have to spread out the scholars so that no one legislative district seems overly favored). If, for example, you live in the four corners region, you are far more likely to be both disadvantaged and experienced with IHS than if you live in suburban San Francisco.

This is all conjecture and rumor and is somewhere here on this thread and in older NHSC scholar threads.

Anyone heard anything?

no news here, either..
i did call the other day and they said we will hear (either yes or no) by the end of september.

Still Waiting...

no word yet but supposedly we'll know by the end of the month.. i'm seriously hoping they don't make this drag until october!

any word for anyone?...there are "New Scholar Orientations" Scheduled for this week via internet so I've pretty much given up hope... : (

any word for anyone?...there are "New Scholar Orientations" Scheduled for this week via internet so I've pretty much given up hope... : (

don't give up hope just yet! the new scholar conference isn't until november and it looks like they just posted that information on friday. hopefully this means that we'll find out the verdict soon.

I am still waiting as well. I hope some (good) information comes soon.

Nada here too. I hope we get some indication soon...

I have't heard anything either, crossing my fingers

I haven't heard anything either... September is half over; I'm beginning to lose hope.

I guess there's always the chance that they're running a bit behind...

They must be running behind. No one has posted about a response from them. Keep praying.

They must be running behind. No one has posted about a response from them. Keep praying.

Greetings All-
I just called and was told that they are still reviewing files and will be extending offers on Sept 30th. Applicants who have received an award will be notified by both email and mail. Applicants not selected will be notified by email only. I gave her may name and she said she sees that they have a file for me but that was all she could tell me she can't tell me whether or not its complete or the status. My pessimistic nature set in and I was like great maybe she's sees that I've been red flagged for not accepted...oh well I've come to terms with the decision either way. I'm definitely not letting the decision change my decision to go into primary care medicine. Worst case scenario I will reapply next year and every year until I receive an award OR apply for loan repayment. Best wishes everyone!:luck:

Thank you very much for the helpful info :)

Greetings All-
I just called and was told that they are still reviewing files and will be extending offers on Sept 30th. Applicants who have received an award will be notified by both email and mail. Applicants not selected will be notified by email only. I gave her may name and she said she sees that they have a file for me but that was all she could tell me she can't tell me whether or not its complete or the status. My pessimistic nature set in and I was like great maybe she's sees that I've been red flagged for not accepted...oh well I've come to terms with the decision either way. I'm definitely not letting the decision change my decision to go into primary care medicine. Worst case scenario I will reapply next year and every year until I receive an award OR apply for loan repayment. Best wishes everyone!:luck:

Still nothing? Nothing for me yet...

Still nothing and still waiting...

this is driving me CRAZY.. why is everyone hearing different things? there is no consistency!

You guys I just got an email notifying me that I've been selected for the scholarship program!

Congratulations!
Wow, now I really feel nervous... :(

congrats, femme!

although i am confused.. i just called the call center for the latest details, and the rep said they are only notifying by snail mail. but obviously people are hearing by email, too! why would they say snail mail only if that isn't the case??

they said people selected for the program will hear by mail by the end of this month. people who aren't selected will hear by mail in october.

Selected!!!! :laugh:

(found out by email)

Congrats to everyone chosen thus far!!!