advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finalist have been notified and told to submit additional documents by Sept 1st at 5pm

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, gratefully, one of the finalist.
I just going off what the regional rep here told me and all the past years posts about the scholarship in that they often do not announce the finalists/awards all at once. If you look back to some posts some people did not find out till the last day. The regional rep told me they often give out the scholarships in random order.

I just going off what the regional rep here told me and all the past years posts about the scholarship in that they often do not announce the finalists/awards all at once. If you look back to some posts some people did not find out till the last day. The regional rep told me they often give out the scholarships in random order.

Good luck to ya! hopefully u hear something soon

To all those waiting to hear from the NHSC about your status: DON'T FRET! I am one of the lucky scholarship recipients from last year, and I didn't find out I had received the scholarship until a large sum of money from HRSA miraculously appeared in my bank account in October. And after that, it still took me almost 2 weeks to confirm that I had, in fact, gotten the scholarship and the deposit wasn't some sort of clerical error.

So don't lose heart! Sometimes silence doesn't mean a thing.

I am really hoping for some good new from them soon. Didn't know they were accepting people already, anybody else get accepted yet?

I haven't heard of anyone getting the scholarship yet but I have heard some folks were told they are finalists. (Congrats, CoachJawbone!)

I know this year is a little different because we did not fill out the bank account info or sign the contract with the application like in previous years (I think)... so we would need to be contacted about being a finalist or receiving the scholarship in order for them to obtain the info to process it and deposit money, etc...

My fingers are still crossed that they are randomly (and slowly?) alerting folks. Chin up! We have most of September to go...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=168953

Hi,

I also received a finalist email around August 29th and faxed in the required documents (although I didn't get any kind of confirmation that the fax was received....also makes me nervous). Anyways, has anybody heard anything one way or another yet? I've tried to look around for different threads but this is the most recent one so far.

As far as my info, I'm a third year medical student, so would just be doing this for two years.

Good luck to everybody still waiting!

I am confused about the whole interviewing stage... I thought everyone had to be interviewed before scholarships went out and that they had them in the summer. Anyone know if this is how it works?

I am confused about the whole interviewing stage... I thought everyone had to be interviewed before scholarships went out and that they had them in the summer. Anyone know if this is how it works?

The NHSC stopped doing interviews for the scholarship about 5-6 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a finalist! I haven't herd anything since I faxed my documents. Still waiting!:scared:

So, someone on the NHSC facebook page said they talked to a rep, and found out that you don't have to be a finalist to get awarded. Does this mean all finalists are going to be awarded? Did the rep mean, that people who are not finalists may be alternates for those who are??? What does anyone think?

Last edited:
I saw the facebook post, I think the same one as you...people are also talking about some kind of DCW (data collection worksheet about school tuition form that they got from the NHSC). I never got that email. This is so confusing!

Yeah if you didn't get the DCW worksheet email, it's no biggie( I think). This was only sent to students/schools where the NHSC didn't have that sheet on file from your school.

Cool, thank you. Have you actually called them and asked questions? I tried that once and they were not very helpful at all.

Yes, but not as of lately. I called to see if they could verify my fax, but of course they couldn't. I think it's just one of those things where there are a bunch a people answering phones and probably don't know all the specifics about the scholarship program. Hope we hear soon!

I agree with that....almost worse than waiting for medical school decisions. It's so weird that the process is so obscure....or maybe I've become impatient :)

Longest wait EVER! I wish they would just update the status of the online application, and tell us there. :xf:

Longest wait EVER! I wish they would just update the status of the online application, and tell us there. :xf:

I wish!!

It seems like this wait is wayyy worse than the wait for acceptance into grad school....damn. I've been compulsively checking my e-mails and SDN.

The funny thing is I keep checking their online status thing, knowing that no updates are ever posted there :laugh:..........................:(

I think they are either going to not select anymore people or select some just before the sep, 30th.. Both of which is nerve wrecking for us..

Have you heard of people getting actual acceptances?

I haven't heard of anyone getting a letter, as of now. I think that they will pick from the finalists pool first, but who knows!

I think they are either going to not select anymore people or select some just before the sep, 30th.. Both of which is nerve wrecking for us..

Exactly!!

Also, one thing i've noticed is I haven't heard of a c/o 2014 get a finalist position yet....can someone correct me if im wrong??

Does anyone know what the finalist letter said or what information it asked for?

I haven't heard of anyone getting a letter, as of now. I think that they will pick from the finalists pool first, but who knows!

Me either -- I have only heard of finalists receiving notice in August. I'm assuming they'll pick from the finalists first... but either way, I haven't heard of anyone getting notice that they actually received the scholarship. Maybe those aren't going out until Sept 30?

Hey, just thought I'd comment real quick. I haven't heard of any people being selected but I know 3 people, including myself who are in the class of 2014 who were finalists.

Still no news here. :scared: Stress on top of exam stress is not good.

The feeling is definitely very mutual. Still haven't heard anything since the finalist email.

People who got the finalist emails are nervous...
Then those of us who didn't basically have zero chance I am guessing?

Has anyone called them or heard whether the letters were already sent?

I posted on the FB wall and asked, but if I call again I might be disqualified :cool:

Someone should call though ;)

I just called and they said the scholarship people don't give them that kind of information - all they know is that we will hear from NHSC regardless of whether we got the scholarship or not, and that we will hear by Sept 30th if we received the scholarship. Not very helpful.

Does anyone know if in previous years people got the scholarship without getting finalist notification?

Clearly, everyone gets a different answer. The possibility also exists that we are not a representative sample, and that people have heard but are not part of the FB group or this SDN forum. 2 days and we'll know.

so is it safe to say, that is less than 24hrs we should have an answer? I here our school admin may know before we do. Def doing to check in with student affairs if i dont hear anything by lunch :xf:I've also heard that past finalist did even get notification that they got the scholarship. like in mid october they saw a deposit in their acct and that's how they knew...so many ways...so much anxiety...

so is it safe to say, that is less than 24hrs we should have an answer? I here our school admin may know before we do. Def doing to check in with student affairs if i dont hear anything by lunch :xf:I've also heard that past finalist did even get notification that they got the scholarship. like in mid october they saw a deposit in their acct and that's how they knew...so many ways...so much anxiety...

I think this year it's safe to say, if you don't have the finalist email, you won't get selected, because unlike previous application years, we have not submitted our bank info and we won't suddenly get a deposit in our account, because we never submitted our bank info, unless you did get the finalist email..

Clearly, everyone gets a different answer. The possibility also exists that we are not a representative sample, and that people have heard but are not part of the FB group or this SDN forum. 2 days and we'll know.

Yeah, I guess that could be the case. I really hope not though. Have you heard anything yet?

Are you guys checking the facebook threads? Sounds like somebody talked to a rep today and they said that all the letters are going out today (both acceptances and rejections). Also, apparently it didn't matter whether you're a finalist or not. Finally, I think there may be somebody who got an acceptance already, she posted something at the top of the NHSC page asking to contact a state rep (but I'm not sure). A little obsessive of me? Yes! This wait is just awful!

Good luck everyone!

Are you guys checking the facebook threads? Sounds like somebody talked to a rep today and they said that all the letters are going out today (both acceptances and rejections). Also, apparently it didn't matter whether you're a finalist or not. Finally, I think there may be somebody who got an acceptance already, she posted something at the top of the NHSC page asking to contact a state rep (but I'm not sure). A little obsessive of me? Yes! This wait is just awful!

Good luck everyone!

I HIGHLY doubt that! Seems as if the NHSC Rep's say anything. There have been so many different things said...

Where is this facebook website you're talking about? I'm a finalist and haven't heard anything yet.

I think this year it's safe to say, if you don't have the finalist email, you won't get selected, because unlike previous application years, we have not submitted our bank info and we won't suddenly get a deposit in our account, because we never submitted our bank info, unless you did get the finalist email..
i am a finalist

There's a a thread on the NHSC facebook page (the one that you can become a fan of by clicking "like" not the one where NHSC has to actually friend you). It's down around September 12th (started by a guy Shahed)....there's been an ongoing conversation about finalists and not finalists on that thread in the comments. Basically nobody really has any idea, but some people have called and got the answers that I said below.