Advice on Potential Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your plan seems ok but if you don't get accepted( i hope you do), you should expand school list. School list seems a bit narrow right now. With your GPA i think you could have gotten more interviews. Its true that you MCAT score might be limiting you but its really not that low.

While there's not much in the way of research listed here the ECs look rather diverse with good clinical experience and service. My suspicion is that if you had 3 IIs at those schools with what's a pretty solid well rounded application like this and havent landed an acceptance, the interviews didnt go all that great. I would also look into your essays and LORs as well as potential sources for improvement in a future application.

I dont think you need to volunteer necessairly in a hospital. I would target serving the less fortuante populations and underserved. You already have experience with this but getting more and in diverse areas is always a plus for an application. Hospice work is something to consider. Getting your hands dirty per se is what you are looking for; really working with the disadvantaged, disabled etc. The types of things that most pre-meds arent comfortable doing are precisely the types of things that can make you stand out. Having said that, not all that much is going to matter if you are applying in 5 months for next cycle anyway, there's not that much you can do in 5 months.

The MCAT is passable and I wouldnt retake unless you are very confident you can hit the 514+ range. If anything, retaking and only doing marginally better will hurt you in some instances.

I do think there are more schools worth applying to as well. Va Tech, UVA, Maryland, G-town, Cooper Rowan and TCMC were always going to be long shots. I really only count about 8-9 schools where you could say before the cycle you have a rather reasonable shot at a II. That's often not enough. There are more schools I think are worth consideration. Some include Rush, Western Michigan, Quinnipac, Wake Forest(maybe), Loyola, Rosalind, Medical College of Wisconsin, Creighton, Saint Louis, WVU and Oakland. If you are intent on reapplying right away without taking more than a few months to improve your app, it's probably worth considering adding some DO programs as well.

All in all you have alot of solid parts for a successful application so trying to find where things went wrong isnt necessairly readily apparent. My guess like I said though is that you could have applied broader, and that the interviews didnt necessairly go as well as they could have. The written parts of your application for next cycle are also things I would focus on re-addressing and changing.

Reactions: 1 users