About the ads

Advice on Psych NP vs. Psychiatry MD/DO

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by ReInventor, Mar 11, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ReInventor

ReInventor Burnt toast?

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Can anyone here give me some advice on the pros/cons of these career paths (psych NP v. psychiatry MD/DO) compared to the other? There are obvious differences like time in training, but any ideas/opinions would be appreciated.
  2. chimichanga

chimichanga misunderstood

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
  3. ReInventor

ReInventor Burnt toast?

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is that supposed to be helpful? I'm honestly seeking advice and was advised to post in this forum...?
  4. Dranger

Dranger

Pre-Medical
    Army SDN 2+ Year Member
    The reason for the popcorn is well warranted. If you look at the other threads there is much flaming/debate regarding NPvsMD and this discussion is potentially another can of worms about to be added to the fire. Perhaps there will be some advice, but I am just informing you of what generally happens on this sub forum.
  5. Bernoull

Bernoull

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Do u have specific questions?

There's obvious differences matriculation requirements, length and intensity of education/training, costs and opportunity costs, lifestyle, scope of practice etc etc etc...
  6. ReInventor

ReInventor Burnt toast?

SDN 2+ Year Member
    How about we explore lifestyle, scope of practice, and the content of training...I'm mostly just familiar with the time differences.
  7. Bernoull

Bernoull

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I can't comment on NP psych education, but you can compare the curricular and degree requirements for the schools you're interested in. For instance here Vanderbilt Univ's MD and NP psych curricula.

https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/portal/
    http://www.nursing.vanderbilt.edu/msn/pmhnp_plan.html

Psychiatry actually has one of the better lifestyles among the medical specialties, here's a link that has an overview about the specialty.. Avg hrs/wk = 44. Full scope of psychiatric practice obviously.

Training (Med school phase): 2yrs basic sciences + 2 yrs clinical sciences + (board)/Step exams 1, 2 & 3. Step 3 is usually done during 1st year of residency.

Training (Residency): Minimum of 4 years, 1-2 year fellowships are available.

http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin/resweb.nsf/L/261EB94F5488055786256F8F0074BBE5?OpenDocument

Goodluck!