Advice on reapplying: MD/DO in the US or just go to the Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momar2378

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Last summer I began the AMCAS application process but did not receive any secondary interviews for the MD programs I applied to. I only applied to schools in Florida (because that is where I currently live) and should have definitely spread that out to other states/schools.

I received a 27 on the MCAT (11VR/7PS/9BS) and have a 3.47 GPA with a recently received degree in Nutrition/Food Sciences. Having taken a convoluted route to getting my bachelors, starting school in 2005 and leaving mid degree to be in the military, I do not believe I would do very well retaking the MCAT with the new sections that have been recently added.

I do not have much clinical experience, however I will be volunteering/working as an EMT from this summer until my medical school start date if I do get in.

I also have an underage drinking charge from when I was 19 (I'm almost 28 now).

Taking all of this into consideration, if I reapplied without taking the MCAT again and expanded my MD school applications, would I have a chance of getting in to any schools?

Would I even have a chance of getting into DO programs here in the US?

I have an interview with AUC (in the Caribbean) this upcoming week for a position into their Aug. 2015 class, but after extensive reading the past few days on matriculation/matching/being pidgeon-holed into 4 practices, I do not believe I want to attend an out of country school.

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go Carib only if you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt. You're fine for all DO schools except AZCOM.

Once you get the needed volunteering in, then try again with the FL schools, + Oakland, TCMC, U WV, and Netter.

So I'd guess the general advice is to either apply DO with what I have now, or spend the year getting my MCAT up and more clinical activities in addition to EMT work?