Advice on rescheduling the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetstudent25

WesternU DVM c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a prospective vet student and am planning on applying for the 2015 cycle. The MCAT submission deadline is by January 1st, and I am registered to take my exam on November 7th.

A bit about me I suppose -- I've graduated from my bachelor's program two years ago, with a combined Biology and Environmental Science degree. Since then, I've been working full-time, taking prerequisite classes for vet school, and volunteering at a vet hospital. I'm three weeks out of my MCAT date, and I still don't feel prepared. Essentially, if I postpone my exam to the next available write date, this will make me ineligible to apply for this cycle -- totalling 3 years out of my Bachelors and wasting another year.

I had initially scheduled the exam for the beginning of September after studying for two solid months in the summer. In hindsight, I wish I had just taken the initial date because I really overestimated my ability to handle studying for the MCAT with a full-time course load (required for vet school whenever taking prerequisites).
I had reviewed all the Bio, Physics, Orgo, and Inorganic Chem material for two months when prepping for my initial test date, but virtually have not touched the material for the last two months as I [irresponsibly] got overwhelmed with school. Additionally, where I have stumbled is really neglecting practice passages. I've focused so much on reviewing content, since I do not have a strong chemistry or physics background, other than the bare essentials in my first and second year of university.

In a nutshell, my dilemma is this: I am three weeks out of my MCAT, and still in full-time classes. My MCAT date is smack dab in the middle of midterms. Although I have reviewed all the material and taken comprehensive notes, I have made the mistake of focusing on content over practice passages. Further, I feel like I have forgotten most of the content I have reviewed.
I just need advice from seasoned MCAT-takers -- Take the MCAT feeling underprepared and potentially risking the high grades needed for prerequisites? OR postpone applications... yet another year.

Members don't see this ad.