Advice on Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnMan92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I took the MCAT twice.
old MCAT in January 2015: 29 overall (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
new MCAT April 2016: 507 overall ( 131 Chem, 123 Verb, 128 Bio, 125 Psych)
Should I retake the test one more time and improve my verbal and psych if I want to get into MD schools?

Science GPA: 3.96
Cumulative GPA: 3.84
EC: Research (1 year), Tutor/Prep Course Instructor (4 years), Summer Camp Counselor for Children with cancer ( 2 summers), Hospital Volunteer/Internship (2 years), Volunteer Clinical trips to Mexico (2 years), Student Government (1 year), Shadowing (4 years)

Graduated from college in 2014

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't this your 3rd thread with this same question?

Isn't this your 3rd thread with this same question?
I made one of them by accident sorry for all the threads :[ one of the responders to my last thread suggested I start one on the pre-allo for more advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I took the MCAT twice.
old MCAT in January 2015: 29 overall (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
new MCAT April 2016: 507 overall ( 131 Chem, 123 Verb, 128 Bio, 125 Psych)
Should I retake the test one more time and improve my verbal and psych if I want to get into MD schools?

Science GPA: 3.96
Cumulative GPA: 3.84
EC: Research (1 year), Tutor/Prep Course Instructor (4 years), Summer Camp Counselor for Children with cancer ( 2 summers), Hospital Volunteer/Internship (2 years), Volunteer Clinical trips to Mexico (2 years), Student Government (1 year), Shadowing (4 years)

Graduated from college in 2014

What state are you from? At this point you should probably apply as is and see how it goes

though different tests, similar scores. how will things be different on a third attempt?

What state are you from? At this point you should probably apply as is and see how it goes

I'm from California. I know from my verbal score, I'll be automatically screened from the MD schools here :[

though different tests, similar scores. how will things be different on a third attempt?

I was thinking for my third test, I would focus solely on verbal and getting a verbal cars instructor to improve verbal. But I'm afraid taking the test a third time would hurt my chances as an applicant

I'm from California. I know from my verbal score, I'll be automatically screened from the MD schools here :[

ouch too bad you are from CA... yeah if you are boning for MD you should retake and probably need a 512+ (but only when you are ready, may need to sit out a cycle)..... If not you are a great DO candidate