MD Advice on School List: Chances 3.8CGPA, 3.76sGPA, 31 MCAT(11V,10P,10B)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedilley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I would like some advice on my school list. I realize a few of them may be a stretch.
About Me:
CGPA: 3.8
SGPA: 3.76
31 MCAT(11V, 10B, 10P)
SES Inidcator, Yes, EO1
FAP approved

Leadership/Teamwork:
1. TA Organic Lecture: 1 year
2. TA organic Labs 1 and 2: 1.5 years
3. President of Campus Pre-Med Club: 2 years
- expanded Physician Shadowing Program
- volunteer opportunities
-MCAT Prep
4. President of School of Science Undergraduate Student Council:
-Implemented/improved new resource facilities in chemistry and physics for student use.
- Implemented new water fountains and other architectural wants of the student body into the school of science
- Allocated funds to various campus organizations.
-Helped plan school events focused on the retention of students, especially Freshmen.
5. Vice President of the IUPUI AMSA Pre-medical Chapter
6 Head Academic Mentor (TA) for Biology 2 K103
7. Reserve Officer Training Corps Program

Research:
1. 1.5 years (Coroner's Office)
- Geared towards finding an additional method for foresic pathologists to use in deeming a death accident vs. suicide. (ongoing) Abstract has been accepted for presentation at the NAME annual convention.Will be an author when published.

2. Distributed Drug Discovery (D3) (ongoing will likely last through next May)
- Currently working on implementing a dipeptide synthesis procedure into student laboratories on the basis of distributed drug discovery. Analyzing optimal reaction conditions, separation techniques, and purification techniques.

Clinical Experience/Internships:

1. Forensic Pathology Intern: 450 hours (3 months).
-Worked alongside Forensic Pathologists (DO & MD) by writing notes for them while they conducted autopsies. Learned about various pathologies on the gross and cellular level. Attended trial, and lawyer meeting with them. Prepared decedent's for the funeral homes. (does this count as some type of clinical experience due to the fact that it is a type of physician?)

2. Shadowing Various: 158+ hours

3. Republic of the Marshall Islands Mission (ROTC-associated) 1 month- 360 hours.

4. Volunteering at a local hospital: 40+ hours.

School List:
Indiana University School of Medicine

Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Michigan State University

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

Columbia University College of P & S

New York University

University of Colorado School of Medicine

Baylor College of Medicine

Harvard Medical School

Emory University School of Medicine

Duke University School of Medicine

Mayo Medical School

University of North Carolina School of Medicine

University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den

University of Michigan Medical School

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd cut Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Duke, and UMich based on your MCAT and UNC if you're not a North Carolina resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot for the moon....for even if you miss, you are bound to hit a star. Good luck man and apply where ever you feel you can. You never know, right?! You have 15 free schools, might as well aim high so long as you have some safe bets! Best wishes :)

Way, way too top heavy! There are only 4 schools where you have even a fair chance at an interview. Depending on your state of residence that is either skimpy or completely inconsistent with success.

Hey,
Thank you for the input. I do realize that my MCAT is low for quite a few of the schools listed, but I can apply to 15 for free. Also, Gyngyn do you know if admissions committees take into account when the MCAT was taken? I did take it before I had taken a physics course. I do realize that this may have no impact, but I figured I would ask.

Hey,
Thank you for the input. I do realize that my MCAT is low for quite a few of the schools listed, but I can apply to 15 for free. Also, Gyngyn do you know if admissions committees take into account when the MCAT was taken? I did take it before I had taken a physics course. I do realize that this may have no impact, but I figured I would ask.
Excellent. 15 schools where your application might be well received is much better than 4, though.
The screeners won't get deep enough to make that association. You need to get past the screeners first. Even if you did, they might see this as poor judgement, rather than a good explanation.

Excellent. 15 schools where your application might be well received is much better than 4, though.
The screeners won't get deep enough to make that association. You need to get past the screeners first. Even if you did, they might see this as poor judgement, rather than a good explanation.

Your are correct. I do have a deeper explanation if that does come up in an interview. Thank you, again, for your input.

You will likely be screened out (i.e. they won't even look at your app) from the following schools:
Case
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
Harvard
Michigan

These schools might not screen you out, but your chances are slim (10% MCAT):
Einstein
Baylor
Emory
Duke

These schools have a strong IS bias:
UNC
Indiana
Michigan State

Shoot for the moon....for even if you miss, you are bound to hit a star. Good luck man and apply where ever you feel you can. You never know, right?! You have 15 free schools, might as well aim high so long as you have some safe bets! Best wishes :)

While I have no problem with this advice, you may want to consider schools at which you'll have more of a shot. Your ECs are nice, but many schools won't look past your 31. Understand that Case, Harvard, Columbia, etc, receive many, many strong applications; 90% of Case's class scored 33+. Also, look at acceptance data. UNC and MState both receive 4000-4500 OOS applications for ~25 OOS spots.

Take-home message - take some long shots, but be realistic. If you don't want to remove any schools, spend a little cash to add to your school list.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to apply to 15 schools for free, make them count. Your < avg MCAT score limits your choices. MSAR Online is your friend.

Free 15:
Your state school
Drexel
Jefferson
VCU
EVMS
TCMC
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Rush
SLU
Loyola