Advice on SMP, EC's, or Work for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrniceguymc976

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a little bit of guidance for my gap year. At the beginning of this fall I was unaware that, because I took summer school and a heavy course load that I would graduate in just 3 years this May. I plan to take my MCAT in the Spring and apply to med schools then my practice MCATs vary from 28-32 very balanced, but I feel like after this year I will hit the upper end for sure. That being said I will have a whole year to prepare myself for med school.
Background information
Pros
I have work experience in the field I worked 50 hours a week as an administrative assistant at a nursing home and outpatient radiology clinic. for the first year and a half of school. Then down to 20 hrs/wk for the remainder. Note: I have worked at the nursing home since high school for 5 years, and Radiology for 2.5 yrs.
I have over 75 hrs shadowing Ortho surgery, Cardio surgery, and Infectious disease
I have 140 hrs volunteering for habitat for humanity and an area cancer center.
I am a Biology major with a cumulative 3.5 gpa and 3.8sgpa
I am working on a clinical research internship with 50 hrs to date and will have a publication by the time I apply for med school.
Cons
I did my first two years at Community College.
I have an F on my transcript from a dual credit high school English class I did not complete because I graduated a semester early and moved away for 6 mos, and was unable to withdraw without assessment.
I have a whole semester 14 Cr. of withdrawals due to terrible financial circumstance which I am okay with explaining in an interview.
Here are my thoughts:
SMP is generally for low GPA high MCAT applicants, my GPA is okay, despite some flags on transcript. Is SMP a good choice for me because of these flags. I feel that SMP would be good to ensure to adcoms that I have what it takes to perform well in upper level medical coursework. If not how better could I spend my time next year. I would be okay with doing more research or internships as well as going back to work more at the jobs I currently have.
Please weigh in and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am looking for a little bit of guidance for my gap year. At the beginning of this fall I was unaware that, because I took summer school and a heavy course load that I would graduate in just 3 years this May. I plan to take my MCAT in the Spring and apply to med schools then my practice MCATs vary from 28-32 very balanced, but I feel like after this year I will hit the upper end for sure. That being said I will have a whole year to prepare myself for med school.
Background information
Pros
I have work experience in the field I worked 50 hours a week as an administrative assistant at a nursing home and outpatient radiology clinic. for the first year and a half of school. Then down to 20 hrs/wk for the remainder. Note: I have worked at the nursing home since high school for 5 years, and Radiology for 2.5 yrs.
I have over 75 hrs shadowing Ortho surgery, Cardio surgery, and Infectious disease
I have 140 hrs volunteering for habitat for humanity and an area cancer center.
I am a Biology major with a cumulative 3.5 gpa and 3.8sgpa
I am working on a clinical research internship with 50 hrs to date and will have a publication by the time I apply for med school.
Cons
I did my first two years at Community College.
I have an F on my transcript from a high school English class I did not complete because I graduated a semester early and moved away for 6 mos, and was unable to withdraw without assessment.
I have a whole semester 14 Cr. of withdrawals due to terrible financial circumstance which I am okay with explaining in an interview.
Here are my thoughts:
SMP is generally for low GPA high MCAT applicants, my GPA is okay, despite some flags on transcript. Is SMP a good choice for me because of these flags. I feel that SMP would be good to ensure to adcoms that I have what it takes to perform well in upper level medical coursework. If not how better could I spend my time next year. I would be okay with doing more research or internships as well as going back to work more at the jobs I currently have.
Please weigh in and thanks!
SMP doesn't make sense with your stats. If you are concerned about your academic red flags, just take some upper level courses and maintain a consistent high performance level to show that you are not as variable/prone to lapses as you were previously. It would be cheaper and would allow you to continue your other activities/work at the same time, which an SMP would not.

Just to let you know the MCAT is changing the spring of 2015. You've taken those necessary classes for the change? And I'm going through the same dilemma as you. From everything I've seen a 3.5 gpa which I also have isn't low enough for a SMP. Better to get a job/get more clinical or research experience during the gap year. Saves money + make money + get a new experience.

Looks like you don't have bench research. Maybe get a paid job at a lab?

I have not taken Biochemistry but I am in Advanced Organic that has an emphasis on Bio transformations. Also, I will at least do some of the open course work for Biochem. That being said I have two options, 1 to take 2014 MCAT a little early in January or to take the 2015 in March or April. I know more and more med schools require Biochem and it would be possible for me to take it next year, but not before I need my MCAT. It seems that SMP is a little overboard, but maybe taking Biochemistry and working/research or working in research next year would be more advantageous.
I appreciate the advice, because I am trying to be well prepared. Thanks again.