Advice please? Psych major.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krj0718

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently a psych major and am finishing up my BA after taking a break from school. I'll be graduating next December. I originally wanted to continue my education and become a school psychologist, but I feel like I would do better in psychiatry. My math and science background is weak. I just transferred to a new school to finish my degree, so I'm not sure of my GPA yet, but I'm an A/B student. I've been looking into post bacc pre-medical programs (mainly Bryn Mawr and Goucher), but I'm not sure if this is the best option. Is there a different way of doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

You are looking in the right places. I would suggest enrolling in a DIY or formal post bacc, banging out the requirements, and then taking the MCAT. Where you do your post bacc doesn't really matter, as long as you get good grades. I would recommend going the least costliest route. Programs like Bryn Mawr claim they have linkage cachet, so I would look into that. The cost of the program may in fact be worth it as long as you think you can pull the grades.