Advice please! Scribe, clinical research, or research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSDMember

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm still so unsure of what I should be doing during my gap year to strengthen my application.

How should I best spend my gap year to raise my chances?:
1. Scribe -
2. Clinical Research
3. Staff Research Associate

In terms of doing just what I will enjoy the most, I truly feel like I will enjoy all of these things, and I can take away great experiences from all of them.

I'm also going to be taking classes during my gap year to raise my poor GPA.

Thanks for any help!! =) Any input on what my chances are would also be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally loved my experience as a scribe and found it really invaluable in teaching me about medicine and what it's like to be part of a healthcare team. At the same time, I think that research is very beneficial too. I would vote for either 1 or 3, and then perhaps make your choice based on hours/pay/location convenience/which will allow you more time to study for classes. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you're lacking some clinical experience then go with the Scribe position. If you're set with clinical experiences then go for #3 since that seems more interesting to you. The flip side is if you think your clinical research is going to result in a pub with your name included, then perhaps you should just stick it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribing is awesome, but you seem to be stronger in clinical experience than in research right now. Some research in the basic sciences would round your app out (plus its awesome to be able to do cool research and get paid for it).

Being a scribe is great. You learn a lot of medical terminology and what goes on in the hospital. It also gives you a lot to talk about come interview time! And likely a guaranteed LOR unless you're terrible

Reactions: 1 users
+1 for scribe. The ability to work with a variety of doctors, both MD and DO, as well as being a part of the ER team is a great experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Being a scribe is great. You learn a lot of medical terminology and what goes on in the hospital. It also gives you a lot to talk about come interview time! And likely a guaranteed LOR unless you're terrible

That's true... I would love to be a scribe and have that experience.
Do you think not having research experience would hurt my chances at gaining acceptance though?

Scribe. Your research experience is satisfactory but your clinical hours need to be raised.

If you're not aiming for "top tier" schools then you don't really need research. Scribe.