Advice please: should I take the old MCAT or the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgoat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • neuroscience & philosophy double major, rising junior
  • would take the old MCAT in Jan or the MCAT 2015 in Apr-Jun
  • already taken bio, chem, and orgo, did well
  • taking physics next year, cell bio and stats 1st sem, and biochem 2nd sem
  • humanities-heavy core (English, philosophy, history), lots of discussing/writing about social implications
  • strong at critical reasoning
  • will not have taken intro socio and intro psych, but I've taken a non-intro socio class and AP psych, and I can learn these on my own
  • pretty good at everything else except physics, though in the past (high school AP) I've gotten by with a lot of studying (physics is a smaller percent of the new MCAT than the old, right?)
  • hoping to study during this summer and over breaks and refresh during the school year
I took the old MCAT practice test 3 without studying and got 11BS, 12V. I took a break on PS because physics is hard but the score will probably be bad. I'm kinda wary about taking the MCAT 2015 because I won't be taking biochem until 2nd semester, but maybe I can start studying over this summer (it'll make the class easier on me too). On the other hand, if I really focus on physics this summer it might become manageable.

There is also much more practice material for the old MCAT obviously. But then again, the the new MCAT will still be on a curve, so everyone else will be in the same boat as me, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: