Advice please: SMPs, diy postbacc, reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Sophrosyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Advice please :)

I applied to about 15 DO schools last cycle and got wait-listed at two (KCUMB & ATSU-SOMA).

uGPA: cGPA- 3.49, sGPA- 3.28
Mcat: 1st- 25, 2nd- 24
Strong personal statement and strong focus on serving underserved populations in my application.
Lots of extracurriculars experience. Lead medical mission trips to Honduras. Worked extensively with refugee families. Worked with a non-profit lead by physicians and was able to shadow a lot and see lots of patients. CPR instructor. Tutored kids for 4 years. Worked as project manager at a EMR company (got to see another side of healthcare industry and worked with hospital administration leaders).

I made a big mistake by not applying to the KCUMB masters program and am looking at other MS programs right. I'll be applying to Rowan and RFU. Any other SMP type programs for which the deadlines haven't passed?

If I can't get into any SMPs, then I'm thinking I can do a DIY postbacc at a 4 year university nearby.

I still haven't resubmitted my AACOMAS application. I plan to do that in the next couple of weeks after I finish the SMP apps.

Any advice?
In particular:
- Any SMPs I can still apply to?
-Should I apply again to schools this round? Would submitting my AACOMAS in mid/end July be too late for DO Schools?
-What else should I do to improve my app?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I'm hearing about DO schools, the average compettive MCAT is skyrocketing. I would try to get at LEAST a 27 on another MCAT take if you can.

But you went down on the 2nd MCAT. Only you know if you can improve. Actually after looking at your overall stats again, Dont do the smp. Not worth it with a 3.49 cgpa. I would try to kill the MCAT.

I think you have good extracurriculars though from the looks of it so there is that.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do an SMP, your weakness isn't your GPA (well your sGPA is kinda weak) it's your MCAT. Submitting your AACOMAS mid/end July wouldn't be too late at all, but what have you done to improve your app since last cycle that would make it worth applying? I would sign up for an August or September MCAT, and like Gandy said, get at least a ~60th percentile MCAT, but 70%+ would be ideal. Then you could still apply this cycle in September/October and it wouldn't be considered too late.

If you're willing to take another year to apply. Schedule a spring 2016 MCAT and be very prepared for it, and retake some science coursework during the fall to boost your sGPA up to 3.4+.

Any advice?
In particular:
-Should I apply again to schools this round? Would submitting my AACOMAS in mid/end July be too late for DO Schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
something is fishy here..

When did you apply and to what schools? You have alright stats.. but I personally know folks (yes.. that means more than one person) who had a downward trend in MORE than 2 MCAT attempts, LOWER gpa than you and still got in.

You either did not apply broadly or you applied too late.

SMP's not the answer. Even if it were a 24 MCAT isn't going to fly in terms of getting into one. Your GPA isn't what kept you out of DO schools last cycle unless there's some downward trend or a red flag of that nature.

Your MCAT is weak(and doing worse the second time stands out) but there is something not 100% right here. Perhaps you are over-estimating your activities and you probably are over-estimating your personal statement. Your interview skills are also worth looking into.

If you are going to improve your grades a DIYS post-bac would be the move. But I don't really think that is the issue here unless there are multiple really bad grades or a downward trend. Best advice is try and call these schools to see where you fell short. The obvious answer is the MCAT but try and see a) if they can go beyond that b) if the MCAT is that much of a weakness that it alone was what did you in. If the answer is b while it's rarely a good idea to take the MCAT for a 3rd time(particularly if you did WORSE the 2nd time) you might be out of options.

Reactions: 1 users
I would just reapply and work on interviewing and making yourself seem like a great fit for the school's (hopefully you are anyway)

Just my 2 cents though. I know everyone knows a guy but........I know a guy in DO with gpas lower than that, close mcat with a retake, almost no Healthcare exp, and I believe a communications major or something (wasn't science)

Thanks everyone! I had a lower gpa trend my last year of undergrad (2 B-s and 1 C+) so maybe that was a deal-breaker? Not sure, but I'm definitely planning on calling schools and getting feedback.

I applied to about 15 DO schools last cycle and got wait-listed at two (KCUMB & ATSU-SOMA).

Strong personal statement and strong focus on serving underserved populations in my application.
Lots of extracurriculars experience. Lead medical mission trips to Honduras. Worked extensively with refugee families. Worked with a non-profit lead by physicians and was able to shadow a lot and see lots of patients. CPR instructor. Tutored kids for 4 years. Worked as project manager at a EMR company (got to see another side of healthcare industry and worked with hospital administration leaders).

I made a big mistake by not applying to the KCUMB masters program and am looking at other MS programs right. I'll be applying to Rowan and RFU. Any other SMP type programs for which the deadlines haven't passed?

If I can't get into any SMPs, then I'm thinking I can do a DIY postbacc at a 4 year university nearby.

I still haven't resubmitted my AACOMAS application. I plan to do that in the next couple of weeks after I finish the SMP apps.

Any advice?
In particular:
As others have said, your MCAT is an issue but something else is going on here.

Unless I am reading your summary wrong, I see no clinical volunteering outside of mission trips. This is a big problem, and is likely what kept you out. I don't want to put you down, but AdComs are generally very unimpressed with mission trips. You are going to need >100 volunteering in a local hospital, clinic, what have you.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, I don't think you need an SMP. I didn't see that you scored a 24 the second time. A 24 is barely acceptable for DO schools, you might want to consider a retake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Unless I am reading your summary wrong, I see no clinical volunteering outside of mission trips. This is a big problem, and is likely what kept you out. I don't want to put you down, but AdComs are generally very unimpressed with mission trips. You are going to need >100 volunteering in a local hospital, clinic, what have you.

Just wondering, why are adcoms unimpressed with mission trips? I've never done one, but I know some people who have.

Just wondering, why are adcoms unimpressed with mission trips? I've never done one, but I know some people who have.
In a nutshell? It's seen as poverty tourism for pre-meds.

Also, are you relatively confident that all your LOR were positive?

I only ask because I had a situation where I asked someone to write a letter, they did and I was so confident it was negative I never used it.....lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Echo what everyone else is saying...something doesn't seem right. Your stats are okay. Your ECs are okay. (Yeah, you're missing clinical experience.) Science GPA is a bit low, but not a deal breaker by any stretch. And yes, your MCAT is a little low, but again, not a deal breaker.

How many interviews did you go on? Do you feel you did poorly in any of them?

Echo what everyone else is saying...something doesn't seem right. Your stats are okay. Your ECs are okay. (Yeah, you're missing clinical experience.) Science GPA is a bit low, but not a deal breaker by any stretch. And yes, your MCAT is a little low, but again, not a deal breaker.

I have seen 4.0/35 applicants get rejected everywhere (totally not kidding) for having zero clinical experience.

I have seen 4.0/35 applicants get rejected everywhere (totally not kidding) for having zero clinical experience.

This is true. It may in fact be the lack of clinical experience.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, I don't think you need an SMP. I didn't see that you scored a 24 the second time. A 24 is barely acceptable for DO schools, you might want to consider a retake.

I have about 200 hours of direct hospital volunteering and a 1 year long job with a health care non-profit where I was working with clinicians and patients parts of the time. Sorry, looks like I didn't say that in the original post.

I have about 200 hours of direct hospital volunteering and a 1 year long job with a health care non-profit where I was working with clinicians and patients parts of the time. Sorry, looks like I didn't say that in the original post.
All of this in the U.S.? I know an applicant that took entire summers to volunteer in hospitals in South America

Also, are you relatively confident that all your LOR were positive?

I only ask because I had a situation where I asked someone to write a letter, they did and I was so confident it was negative I never used it.....lol

I'm pretty sure all of my letters were positive. The same professors have said really good things to me face to face and one even said he recommended that I apply to schools with higher stats because he really believes in me... And they've all written me recommendations for other programs and jobs as well!

Thank you everyone! I was really confused about what happened and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'll be calling all the schools and will report back in the next few days with the feedback!

Talked to ATSU and looks like I was shoe in, except that I didn't do great on my MMI. The Admissions counselor suggested taht everything else about my app is fine for their school, and that I just work on my MMI skills and to apply next round.

Talked to ATSU and looks like I was shoe in, except that I didn't do great on my MMI. The Admissions counselor suggested taht everything else about my app is fine for their school, and that I just work on my MMI skills and to apply next round.
This is an easy fix. You should be fine

Did you interview at any places other than ATSU and KCUMB?
Also, what were the 15 schools you applied to?

Sounds like you know what you need to do then -- work on those people skills. If I were you, I would also start volunteering at one of your local hospitals. Your application will be that much better for doing so.

Your GPAs aren't the problem. Your MCAT is the problem.

Just apply broadly and you'll be fine. But skip CCOM, AZCOM, Western and the coastal Touros.

Any advice?
In particular:

@Goro

Someone who lacks MMI skills and an MCAT of 24, are these enough to ruin a chance for an acceptance?

Hi everyone! I've submitted my AACOMAS a couple of weeks ago (granted I'm a bit late in the game). I'll be applying to the followings schools:

ATSU SOMA- interviewed last cycle & waitlisted
BCOM
CUSOM
KCUMB- interviewed last cycle & waitlisted
LUCOM
LMU
PNWU
KYCOM
WVSOM
WCUCOM

Any other schools I should apply to? These seem to be schools that "fit" my stats range better.
Updates to what I'm doing currently:
-Retaking a Molecular Genetics and Anatomy/Physiology class (partly to raise my sGPA but also to prove to myself and schools that I can do better)
-Planning to take Anatomy/Physiology 2, and two other advanced bio classes in Spring 2015 semester
-Volunteering with patients at Health fair and hospital
-Shadowing DO doctor
-Once I'm completed with secondaries, I plan to pursue a scribing job

Once I've sent my initial applications in to the schools, I will be sending update letters a couple of times throughout the application process.

Thanks for help with school list! Also, any other advice?

I have a feeling CUSOM's average stats are going to skyrocket this year. Granted they're a new school, but they're really keen on taking very excellent candidates for medical school with highish stats.

This is of course, based on my interview day at CUSOM this cycle.

Hi everyone! I've submitted my AACOMAS a couple of weeks ago (granted I'm a bit late in the game). I'll be applying to the followings schools:

ATSU SOMA- interviewed last cycle & waitlisted
BCOM
CUSOM
KCUMB- interviewed last cycle & waitlisted
LUCOM
LMU
PNWU
KYCOM
WVSOM
WCUCOM

Any other schools I should apply to? These seem to be schools that "fit" my stats range better.
Updates to what I'm doing currently:
-Retaking a Molecular Genetics and Anatomy/Physiology class (partly to raise my sGPA but also to prove to myself and schools that I can do better)
-Planning to take Anatomy/Physiology 2, and two other advanced bio classes in Spring 2015 semester
-Volunteering with patients at Health fair and hospital
-Shadowing DO doctor
-Once I'm completed with secondaries, I plan to pursue a scribing job

Once I've sent my initial applications in to the schools, I will be sending update letters a couple of times throughout the application process.

Thanks for help with school list! Also, any other advice?

Instead of retaking the classes, study for the MCAT and do a retake. Your GPA isn't whats holding you back.

I'm on a similar boat. I applied this past cycle with a sgpa of 3.24 and a cgpa of 3.3. Took the mcat twice and did poorly. I've never taken a standardized test before and I tried to save money by studying on my own, it didn't go so well. I managed to get invited for an interview at one school and was placed on the waitlist, which obviously ended in a rejection.

Right now, I'm debating whether to re-apply in the summer of 2016 or 2017. From, my calculations I could end up with a 3.42 sgpa/3.45 cgpa for next summer (2016) by taking a few additional classes, even higher if i take an additional year. I definitely have to retake the mcat and will be taking a course this time around. I've been working on setting up new volunteer work in hospitals and seeking research opportunities.

So my question is, would it be a better idea to apply in two years or to make sure that I have everything ready for next summer? Would schools look down upon taking two years off? Thank you for your input :)
Apply when you have the strongest application possible. How bad was the MCAT? I might take a gap year just to raise my GPA a bit and get some more clinical done. Also, dat thread hijack doe.