Advice, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BachDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I would really, really appreciate some advice specific to my situation. I have a big decision to make tonight or tomorrow and would love some feedback! I am so sorry that this is such a long post, but I really want to explain well so I can get some help.

I am a violin performance major taking pre-med classes and I'm in my Junior year. I've finished General Chemistry I and II (freshman year), Biology I and II (sophomore year) Organic Chemistry I and II (last summer) and Physics I.

I'm currently enrolled in Physics II and Biochemistry. As a music major, I need to spend a lot of time practicing and that is especially true this year. I need to figure out whether or not I can do well in both physics II and biochemistry with all of my other classes. The last day to drop without entry to the record is tomorrow at my school.
My current classes:
Physics II and lab
Biochemistry
English I
Intro to Public Health
Orchestra (MWF, 2 hours each day)
Violin lessons (lesson every week, 2-3+ hour per day of practice expected)

Does anyone who has taken Biochemistry or Physics II or someone who is familiar with them have any advice as to whether I should drop biochemistry? If I don't take it this semester, I will not be able to apply this summer like I was planning so it will throw me off by a year.

If anyone had ANY advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I was very involved with music back in high school and even did a few days at a university for "honors" band so I have a pretty good idea how much it takes to be a music major. It is somewhat impressive to be a "non-traditional" pre-med but having a unique major won't give you too much of a leg up. I'm in no way discouraging you from pursuing music as a major, but you need to realize that pre-med courses, especially for someone who is not a science major, should be the number one priority over any other classes. Now, whether you should drop Biochemistry depends on when YOU want to apply, and it is up to no one else to decide the timeline of your application. An important factor to consider is whether you will be able to adequately prepare for MCAT this semester and take it in April, keeping in mind that first few administrations of the test will take AMCAS 2 months to score, so you should really try to take it as early as possible.

@allenlchs Thank you so much for your help. I had been planning to take the MCAT in June or July...Do you think that is too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you need to start prioritizing what you want your next career to be. Do you want to be a doctor or a musician? Because presently, it sounds like the bulk of your time is going to music.

In any case, you don't need biochemistry to apply to medical school. You can take it in the fall or summer. When are you going to find time to study for the MCAT, however? It doesn't sound like your plan is very well thought-out.

@beachside Thank you very much for your reply! I definitely want to be a doctor. Music is something I have always done and I love it so I wanted to continue it in college, but medicine is absolutely my priority and I don't practice nearly as much as a music major usually should because of that, which is part of the problem now. I will do some more thinking about my plan. Thanks!

I would just recommend taking the gap year, dropping Biochem, and taking more time to actually study for the MCAT. That way, you get better grades this semester, you get a better score on the MCAT, you get a bit of time off, and your application isn't late due to the MCAT score, which you need to be in earlier so that you can be complete. I feel like all these things would be great for you as an applicant, but that's just my two cents.