Advice Post MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoobydoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I was accepted to vet school for Fall of 2016 (yay!) but after a lot of personal soul searching and discussions with my wife I have decided that I would rather go into public health. I have been accepted to the University of West Florida's MPH and am pretty excited about it. Why am I not going to vet school? Obesity is a major concern to me and I find that I am much more passionate about prevention and education in that field than I think I would be in the veterinary field. It's a personal decision that I have made. My question is this: I am set on eventually getting my DrPH because I would like to teach and be involved in decision making as far as policy and implementation goes. Would it be better for me to try to go to a "top tier" school to obtain my DrPH or stay in state (Florida) and go to one of the schools that offer it here (South Florida and FAMU)? How does name recognition factor into this particular field? I know that there has been a lot of discussion geared towards the schools. Personally I feel that as long as you put in your time and turn out quality work on a topic you really care about, where you went should not be a factor but I know that in the medical, dental, and vet fields that unfortunately where you went to school does have an effect as far as bias before even meeting with a person. That's the world we live in. Anyway, thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.