Advice Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed1127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is some background info - I am 22 years old and married (no kids) finishing my 2nd year in college. I did not start immediately after high school for reasons that are not relevant to this post. I Currently hold a full time job and go to school part time. I am currently Taking Chem 2 with Lab and Calculus. I am part of the honor institute in my school and currently hold a 3.8 GPA. I plan to transfer to a state college and major in neuroscience.

My issue is that holding a full time is making it very difficult for me to give school "my all" and I am not able to get any research positions because the lack of time. Can I get some advice on what to do? Do any of you guys work full time? I want to become a Neurosurgeon one day but working is delaying my dream.
If any of you are full time married premed students, how do pay for expenses? Loans? Scholarships? Is it wise to live off a loan for two more years of undergrad? Any personal experiences?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Premed,

I got married in my last year of post-bac. I know your difficulty to hold it all togther and maintain good grates while paying the rent. I ended up taking on a small student loan that I am paying back this year as I am now accepted and starting medical school in July 2014. It was not my first choice, but for the sake of sanity, a semblance of life enjoyment during 40 hours of work a week, 12 credits and being newly married, it was an unpleasant but necessary choice I made.
I would not have wanted to live off student loans. I needed some help with tuition, but I still worked at least part time and did work on the side for all living expenses and some tuition.

Most students are taking on debt to get to this point of applying and being accepted. I encourage you to live simply and minimally and if possible, dropping down to 20 or 30 hours a week assuming your spouse is working . It is tough enough to find decent work in this economy, so that is difficult to say, but this is a road full of sacrifices.
Best to you

Premed,

I got married in my last year of post-bac. I know your difficulty to hold it all togther and maintain good grates while paying the rent. I ended up taking on a small student loan that I am paying back this year as I am now accepted and starting medical school in July 2014. It was not my first choice, but for the sake of sanity, a semblance of life enjoyment during 40 hours of work a week, 12 credits and being newly married, it was an unpleasant but necessary choice I made.
I would not have wanted to live off student loans. I needed some help with tuition, but I still worked at least part time and did work on the side for all living expenses and some tuition.

Most students are taking on debt to get to this point of applying and being accepted. I encourage you to live simply and minimally and if possible, dropping down to 20 or 30 hours a week assuming your spouse is working . It is tough enough to find decent work in this economy, so that is difficult to say, but this is a road full of sacrifices.
Best to you

Thank you so much for you response, great advice that i will definately take into consideration.