Advice regarding applying to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

compliance2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and maybe helping me answer my questions.
I am struggling on deciding if I should apply for med school and if I can really do it or not or if this is just a long shot and very slim chances of getting in at this point.
Some background about me...
I am 31 years old (....old...so hence I am questioning if this is even a possible goal for me to have at this point in time).
My undergrad GPA 2.98, majored in Biology and Psychology (graduated back in 2007). A lot of B's, C's, one D mostly my science courses. I did however get into this short Master's program in Neuroscience. It was mainly composed of my thesis research and I took two courses, GPA 3.87 (graduated in 2012).
I have lots of clinical experience. Worked full time at a dementia clinic as a clinical assistant and a clinical research coordinator, conducting memory tests and obtaining medical histories for about 5-6 years. Also worked heavily on the research side of things. Volunteered at hospitals throughout my undergrad days. Worked for various research groups, dealing with animals, children with autism and other developmental disabilities as a research assistant. Attended various conferences, presented my research findings etc. I have three publications with my name on it, not the main author but 2nd author or 3rd author in all of them. I was so focused on my extra curricular activities (being a research assistant, volunteering, working with kids with autism) during my undergrad that I didn't really have that much time to study.
Now, I am working in oncology, monitoring and auditing clinical research for all departments in oncology, so pediatrics, radiotherapy, central nervous system etc.

Now, should I pursue medical school? And if I should, how should I go about improving my undergrad courses? Should I take another bachelors degree? Should I upgrade my courses? I am at a different city than were I did my undergrad courses. Will this affect how my GPA gets calculated if I retake my courses? Or should I just focus on something else?

Thank you so much for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

SGU is a great school and you should get in. Toro in NV is good too and they like students that mastered. Don't worry about your age though. I'm applying in a year. I'm 36 with 5 kids.

Reactions: 1 user
Given all your ECs look great....I'd say try this: kill it on the MCAT! Use this opportunity to tell your story to an adcom (who will listen) and apply BROADLY!!
Some schools will balance out an outstanding MCAT against a few non-stellar undergrad courses, some will not. This is a great time to research what schools are best suited for you. While GPA and MCAT scores are two main factors, they aren't the only ones!

Considering you have: Great ECs....an outstanding Masters GPA, publications, nice research exposure (any clinical?).....I'd shoot for applying broadly and being confident. Never know who might feel you are a great addition to their program!

Your age is a non-factor...you are still very young.

Best of luck.