advice Scribe Program vs. High GPA at Georgetown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trixietang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got accepted to Georgetown University, which I plan on attending this Fall. I was also recently offered the opportunity to become a scribe at a hospital with a 16hr. a week commitment about 15 minutes away from the school.

Being that it will be my first year at Georgetown, and Georgetown is notorious for a very heavy workload, do you think it's a smart idea to do the scribe program?

I got a 4.0 this past year taking chem, calc, stats, and some liberal arts courses at James Madison University. Next year I am taking organic chem, first year bio, and possibly physics.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just got accepted to Georgetown University, which I plan on attending this Fall. I was also recently offered the opportunity to become a scribe at a hospital with a 16hr. a week commitment about 15 minutes away from the school.

Being that it will be my first year at Georgetown, and Georgetown is notorious for a very heavy workload, do you think it's a smart idea to do the scribe program?

I got a 4.0 this past year taking chem, calc, stats, and some liberal arts courses at James Madison University. Next year I am taking organic chem, first year bio, and possibly physics.

Don't sacrifice GPA for extracurriculars.

Don't sacrifice GPA for extracurriculars.

True, but... if you got into GT and had a 4.0 before.... I would be inclined to think you could handle both. How much time do you usually need to study? If you're one of those people who needs 10+ hrs/wk/2+ hrs/day (outside of class) with a full-load, then it is probably best to wait on the scribing, but if you're the type of person who tends to just sorta "get it" in class, then holding down a job as well isn't really that big of a deal.... Ochem is generally thought of as the worst of the three you mentioned and really both that and physics are all about understanding and applying concepts. Bio is the most time-intensive of those 3 and it's a pretty easy course at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
music2doc, thanks for your advice, I usually study like 3-4 hours a day so maybe I should hold off. I could probably afford less study time and still get a high enough gpa, but I want to make sure my grades and courses are still my first priority. I'll probably wait until junior year.

If there's any doubt, hold off on the scribe position.

This. Start slow, then figure out if you can handle it. There are plenty of other medically-related things to do, especially in DC.

Congrats and Hoya Saxa! :) I graduated from Georgetown in 2009. I do not think coursework at GT is generally much more difficult than at JMU, although I was a liberal arts major and didn't take my pre-reqs til after graduating. Still, I had a ton of pre-med friends and all of them had plenty of time for ECs and schoolwork. I'd take the scribe job, it has reasonable weekly hours and is a great clinical experience. You'll still have time to take advantage of all the great things DC has to offer. Of course, if you're struggling, grades always come first.

If you can't do both, then definitely concentrate on school.

Are you transferring to Georgetown?

Coincidentally, I had a friend who went to Georgetown and also worked at a hospital nearby about 25-30 hours a week. I'd say to do as much as you can handle, but it is certainly doable to work 16hr/wk and still maintain a good GPA.

ED Scribing in my area is very coveted and extremely competitive - it's essentially clinical experience that's better than any volunteer position that you also get paid for; hard to imagine a better extracurricular, really.

I would really think twice before turning down the position.

That being said, going from chem (I assume general), calculus and statistics to ORGANIC chem, biology and physics is going to be a big change. Can't say that I recommend your class schedule, regardless of whether you're working or not.