Advice to get into Georgia Regents University's Dental Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BWA1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so this will be the second year i've done the application process. Here's my stats as of today

GPA: 3.77
science GPA: 3.70

1st attempt at DAT (last summer)
AA:17
TS: 17
OC: 17
GC: 18
BIO: 16
PAT: 15
QR:15
RC:18

I'm currently studying for the second DAT attempt. Honestly, I shouldn't of taken it the first time because I didn't do any thorough reviewing because of a fellowship i was partaking in. I currently have approximately 200 shadowing hours and was also very active in clubs and community activities. I also have a lot of research experience (Barrier Island research and even did my fellowship at the CDC).

So, with that being said, and assuming i do a whole lot better on the DAT, what else could i put on there to make myself stand out? Anyone have any recommendations on writing a personal statement? I feel mine was a bit lackluster last year.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can raise your DAT score, you seem like you have everything else squared away nicely. Your GPA is great, your shadowing hours are sufficient, you have lots of research, and it sounds like you have plenty of volunteering hours.

Honestly, other than the DAT scores, you are an ideal applicant.

As for the personal statement, my best advice is to not make the entire thing about "dentistry" alone. When it comes down to it, a lot of us are basically going to be expressing the exact same sentiments in our statements--we love dentistry, we love helping people, we enjoy spreading healthcare awareness, we love giving back to those around us, etc. It's all in how you present it, though. It is so boring to read a statement that says, "I lost a tooth at age 5 and knew I would become a dentist. I shadowed a general dentist and learned about the many practices offered at a dental office. It was a mazing. Then I got braces and was amazed at how orthodontics could change lives. It was eye-opening for me. Then I volunteered on a mission trip and saw how poor people can't afford dental care. I can't wait to help people with their smiles." Blah blah blah *zzZZZZZzzzz*

Though you definitely need to mention your dental experiences and how they have shaped your life goals, you don't need to use all of your characters talking specifically about them. The best statements I've read also talk about a person's other passion(s)--whether they be band, dancing, cooking, etc.--and relate the skills they gained through these activities back to how they will make them a better dentist. Maybe being in the band helped you to become a more compassionate leader--tell a story about that, and talk about how these skills will make you better at dealing with your future patients.

Oh, and a good thing to think about doing is "showing," not "telling." Don't just tell the reader you're committed to the field--show them you are. Don't just tell the reader you can lead a group--show them you can. Tell stories.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like GRU does its own thing in addition to the standard dental admission process. I would tall to Stephanie Perry , the adcom lady. She does GRU presentations all over GA and love talking to applicants. She's also really helpful letting you know what you need to improve. Pretty honest lady. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.
Source: got into GRU

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like GRU does its own thing in addition to the standard dental admission process. I would tall to Stephanie Perry , the adcom lady. She does GRU presentations all over GA and love talking to applicants. She's also really helpful letting you know what you need to improve. Pretty honest lady. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions.
I actually made a trip to talk to her about my application. However, she had to go before we went over my personal statement. She told me a lot of useful information that I used already. It was interesting to see that she put some kind of tag on my file that indicated that I came in and talked to her. Apparently they like that and keep that in mind when you reapply because it shows how dedicated you are.

I appreciate the replies so far! This place seems very supportive and helpful!

Yepp! And try to see if you can volunteer at one of the clinics that the 4th years do their externship. I used to volunteer at Ben massell and the students were always fun to talk to. You get to understand the GRU culture and the student atmosphere more.

Yepp! And try to see if you can volunteer at one of the clinics that the 4th years do their externship. I used to volunteer at Ben massell and the students were always fun to talk to. You get to understand the GRU culture and the student atmosphere more.
Is there a way to find one near my location? Or are the clinics only near Augusta? I live 3 1/2 hours away from the school.

The clinics are all over Georgia. I just went to the website but since its recent website updates and changes, I can't find it :( I'd call the school and ask their externship sites? (I also live about 3.5 hours away from the school so Ben massell in Atlanta was ideal for me)

Thank you so much for useful information. I am also planning to apply Georgia Regent University for 2018 class. I want to ask specific question about her.. can I pm you???