Advice to high schoolers from someone applying this year

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your general freedom while it lasts. And by freedom I mean not being a slave to the books.

If you're in grade 9 or 10, don't spend much time on here and don't overspend time studying and working hard. Go play xbox, chase girls/guys, go to parties, have some fun. It's fine to get a general idea of what's out there but until you get some experience in your science courses, you won't really know if this path is for you. It's best to get an idea of the market, career paths and what not, but don't spend too much time on this. Studying to an extent matters, but not too much. I had miserable grades in grade 9 and 10 and was entirely focused on athletics + girls.... it turned out 100% okay. If you're capable, you always will be. Just learn your basics and you're good to go. Just don't head the path of that foreveralone anti-social guy.

Grade 11s, you should be starting to get an idea if you're a science person or not. At this stage, that's all you really want to evaluate and assess. Learn some basics study habits but spend most of your time on the fun stuff.
Get some good grades but don't go crazy trying to kill every course. You should have a hobby or two that you plan to further pursue. These make great ECs in the future.

Grade 12s, by now you should know if you're a science person and if this is a path you want to head. This helps you pick your major and institution. You should do well in your core science courses but that's all that needs to be said about that.

So why does this advice matter? Because when you're in 4th year undergrad and have studied night and day while volunteering your free time away, and are crying about your involuntary celibacy... then realize there's 4 years ahead of medical school where the amount of content is much more dense.. only to be followed by 80 hour work weeks in residency for 3-6 years... and 60 hour work weeks for your career... then you'll wish you had some more fun when you had the chance as a teenager with minimal responsibility. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your general freedom while it lasts. And by freedom I mean not being a slave to the books.

If you're in grade 9 or 10, don't spend much time on here and don't overspend time studying and working hard. Go play xbox, chase girls/guys, go to parties, have some fun. It's fine to get a general idea of what's out there but until you get some experience in your science courses, you won't really know if this path is for you. It's best to get an idea of the market, career paths and what not, but don't spend too much time on this. Studying to an extent matters, but not too much. I had miserable grades in grade 9 and 10 and was entirely focused on athletics + girls.... it turned out 100% okay. If you're capable, you always will be. Just learn your basics and you're good to go. Just don't head the path of that foreveralone anti-social guy.

Grade 11s, you should be starting to get an idea if you're a science person or not. At this stage, that's all you really want to evaluate and assess. Learn some basics study habits but spend most of your time on the fun stuff.
Get some good grades but don't go crazy trying to kill every course. You should have a hobby or two that you plan to further pursue. These make great ECs in the future.

Grade 12s, by now you should know if you're a science person and if this is a path you want to head. This helps you pick your major and institution. You should do well in your core science courses but that's all that needs to be said about that.

So why does this advice matter? Because when you're in 4th year undergrad and have studied night and day while volunteering your free time away, and are crying about your involuntary celibacy... then realize there's 4 years ahead of medical school where the amount of content is much more dense.. only to be followed by 80 hour work weeks in residency for 3-6 years... and 60 hour work weeks for your career... then you'll wish you had some more fun when you had the chance as a teenager with minimal responsibility. :)
I can only tell you OP....it gets farrrr worse when your in med school

Reactions: 1 user
Satisfaction.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it's worth the satisfaction at the end of it all right? I'm doing it for only two things - to be able to prove to myself that i'm worth it - that advanced 512,000 annual salary.. idk I haven't even started college yet, posts like these are making me reconsider pre-med..
You won't make 500k... given the way things are going in the US you should be very happy if you make 250k. Keep in mind rising tuitions etc.
You should do some clinical volunteering and see if you like dealing with patients, and also do some shadowing. Factor in everything else and see if you still want to do it. If you're planning on balling coming out of school, that may not be the case given a potential massive debt + lower income + inflation etc. meanwhile you're 30 years old.

The issue I find is that people often jump onto the biology major ship, then if they realize that they either can't handle the coursework OR if medicine isn't for them... (if you can't handle blood, dying people, long hard hours, etc.) there isn't much option on the biology path.

You won't make 500k... given the way things are going in the US you should be very happy if you make 250k. Keep in mind rising tuitions etc.
You should do some clinical volunteering and see if you like dealing with patients, and also do some shadowing. Factor in everything else and see if you still want to do it. If you're planning on balling coming out of school, that may not be the case given a potential massive debt + lower income + inflation etc. meanwhile you're 30 years old.

The issue I find is that people often jump onto the biology major ship, then if they realize that they either can't handle the coursework OR if medicine isn't for them... (if you can't handle blood, dying people, long hard hours, etc.) there isn't much option on the biology path.
Your'e very realistic.

Last edited:

Exactly... Do not go into medicine for the money. If money is your motivator, there are way better options.

I just finished my first year of med school and love it. Yes it's difficult, but it's great if you have a passion for medicine.

Exactly... Do not go into medicine for the money. If money is your motivator, there are way better options.

I just finished my first year of med school and love it. Yes it's difficult, but it's great if you have a passion for medicine.
Yea medicine isn't something you can do just for money. Everyone is motivated by the money to some degree, but if that's all you're focused on... and you have no genuine interest in the field and the sciences, it'll be a long depressing road.

However I would disagree that there are better ways to make money. As a stand alone statement that is... other professional fields have crappy job markets, and you'll require some major talent + luck + work ethic to make it anywhere good in business.

Reactions: 1 user