advice wanted for teaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwestattending

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to reach out to the residents and students out there, and possibly to the experienced teachers too for advice. As an attending, my interactions with the vast majority trainees go well - in my opinion they learn a lot, I am able to guide them gently to be successful with new procedures, we discuss topics of interest in a 'teach each other' format based on the cases we've seen and articles we have read. I never yell, offer minimal and only constructive criticism, (I set expectations ahead of time for the critical elements, I'm not very picky about which plan is chosen as long as it is safe, and I have a respectful discussion about the trainee's reasoning for a certain plan if I disagree) and I step in and handle it for the trainee if a difficult situation or disagreement arises with a nurse or an attending surgeon. I also try to keep tabs on how I come across to others, by frequently asking colleagues (attendings, midlevels, nurses, occasionally residents in an appropriate manner) for feedback on my teaching.
It seems as if there are a few in our large program (generally towards the end of their training) each year, though, who are angry, not able to learn, and only willing to do the minimum (barely set up the room, not know anything about the patients or pathophysiology, and leave as early as possible - before 3 PM) despite my treating them the same as the other trainees.
Do I just give up on certain individuals? A lot of trainees that I have known across the country (not speaking specifically about this program ) feel like they are treated like midlevel worker bees already by many attendings. I feel that I have a responsibility to teach both anesthesiology and a basic level of professionalism, yet in any other setting, I'd realize that "you can't win em all .. . . "

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone leaves as early as possible. If you want them to stay late, don't relieve them or lobby for an add on case.
If they fail to meet expectations, at the end of the case or day have a few minute discussion about how things could have gone better or more smoothly. I find that well received and effective. You also have to pick your battles, don't make a big deal about trivial details or flow unless that's the only issue to address. Nobody really cares how you tape the arm board, or put 1/4 inch tabs on the eye tape oriented nose to ear and down 45 degrees, or ...
Some attendings miss opportunities to make quality teaching points as they are lost in the rest of the noise that they are polluting the room with.

There will be, in every class of residents, a few who were not meant to be anesthesiologists. The best ones will separate themselves early in CA1 year as the ones who have already read baby miller or Vandam Dripps Eckenhoff or whatever. They will ask questions, show up early to set up their room, discuss the anesthesia plan, etc etc. Then there are those who will show up barely on time, will be clueless because they haven't looked at the schedule or made a plan. You can't leave them alone in a room. They will never take a leadership role or additional responsibility as a resident. Faculty need to recognize that and take corrective action. I'm surprised that some people can get through Med school and residency and be so lazy and clueless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I teach a great deal, but my teaching scores are consistently high. I think it is because I pick a few points to make and that's generally it for the case. If things come up, I explain my reasoning, as well as when my plan differs from their presented plan. Most appreciate properly presented constructive criticism as well.
BTW, if they don't understand the case and can't present a plan, tell them to call you back with an appropriate plan. They're not trying to become CRNAs they're trying to become board certified consultants. All the info they need is a Google search away.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to reach out to the residents and students out there, and possibly to the experienced teachers too for advice. As an attending, my interactions with the vast majority trainees go well - in my opinion they learn a lot, I am able to guide them gently to be successful with new procedures, we discuss topics of interest in a 'teach each other' format based on the cases we've seen and articles we have read. I never yell, offer minimal and only constructive criticism, (I set expectations ahead of time for the critical elements, I'm not very picky about which plan is chosen as long as it is safe, and I have a respectful discussion about the trainee's reasoning for a certain plan if I disagree) and I step in and handle it for the trainee if a difficult situation or disagreement arises with a nurse or an attending surgeon. I also try to keep tabs on how I come across to others, by frequently asking colleagues (attendings, midlevels, nurses, occasionally residents in an appropriate manner) for feedback on my teaching.
It seems as if there are a few in our large program (generally towards the end of their training) each year, though, who are angry, not able to learn, and only willing to do the minimum (barely set up the room, not know anything about the patients or pathophysiology, and leave as early as possible - before 3 PM) despite my treating them the same as the other trainees.
Do I just give up on certain individuals? A lot of trainees that I have known across the country (not speaking specifically about this program ) feel like they are treated like midlevel worker bees already by many attendings. I feel that I have a responsibility to teach both anesthesiology and a basic level of professionalism, yet in any other setting, I'd realize that "you can't win em all .. . . "
I hope this does not sound too sexist but I am willing to bet that you are a female attending aren't you?
You just seem to be way too focused on others perception of you and their emotional well being.
Again ... I apologize for the non PC logic.