Advice (What else!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted646902

Hi SDN,

Very excited to finally be able to post on here. I've been waiting for this opportunity for quite some time and as application season starts to creep up I thought it was time to ask for some input.

Stats: I attend the #11 ranked public university. GPA 3.5 / MCAT (Jan 23rd) / Extensive research experience (Traveled to Asia with lab group to collect samples + run tests on our field of study and also provide humanitarian aid since the areas we went to were very poor) + volunteering / In the process of starting an organization that utilizes veteran medical trained EMT-B/Physicians to provide care to underprivileged areas "FOBS ... For Our Brothers and Sisters" / I was in ROTC for 3 years and the Army National Guard for 2 years / Vice president of the Global Medical Training on my campus/ MCB (Molecular and Cellular Biology) Peer Advisor

Since I also decided pre-med a little later than my classmates I will be graduating this year but applying for the 2016-2017 matriculation year so I will have a "gap year". I also have had 2 surgeries during my time time in school so I don't know if that would make a difference in explaining some of my lower grades or not.

Barring any other unforeseen complications where should my aim be in regards to schools to apply to? Is my application strong? Weak? My brother is a DO so I have the upmost respect for osteopathic medicine (I actually agree with the vision of osteopathy to be honest) but unfortunately the reality is if you have "M.D." next to your name it is a little easier to find high yield fields. Anyways! Thanks for the help guys and I look forward to hearing your advice.

Best,

K

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you applying next cycle? Come back with an MCAT score.

If you're thinking of applying this cycle, don't. No school will wait for your MCAT score in Feb.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. With a good MCAT, many doors should be open for you.

Hi SDN,

Very excited to finally be able to post on here. I've been waiting for this opportunity for quite some time and as application season starts to creep up I thought it was time to ask for some input.

Stats: I attend the #11 ranked public university. GPA 3.5 / MCAT (Jan 23rd) / Extensive research experience (Traveled to Asia with lab group to collect samples + run tests on our field of study and also provide humanitarian aid since the areas we went to were very poor) + volunteering / In the process of starting an organization that utilizes veteran medical trained EMT-B/Physicians to provide care to underprivileged areas "FOBS ... For Our Brothers and Sisters" / I was in ROTC for 3 years and the Army National Guard for 2 years / Vice president of the Global Medical Training on my campus/ MCB (Molecular and Cellular Biology) Peer Advisor

Since I also decided pre-med a little later than my classmates I will be graduating this year but applying for the 2016-2017 matriculation year so I will have a "gap year". I also have had 2 surgeries during my time time in school so I don't know if that would make a difference in explaining some of my lower grades or not.

Barring any other unforeseen complications where should my aim be in regards to schools to apply to? Is my application strong? Weak? My brother is a DO so I have the upmost respect for osteopathic medicine (I actually agree with the vision of osteopathy to be honest) but unfortunately the reality is if you have "M.D." next to your name it is a little easier to find high yield fields. Anyways! Thanks for the help guys and I look forward to hearing your advice.

Best,

K