Advice when Interviewing for a Research Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

What advice would you give to someone who is interviewing for a volunteer position in a Cognition, Memory and Development lab? What questions should I ask the professor while in the meeting? HELP!! I don't know what to say or ask!!

Thanks,

PsychUndergrad18

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest reading some of the articles that the prof has published so that you have familiarity with what they are doing. You can ask about logistical details of the position. How many hours would I be able to work a week? What type of work would I be doing? When can I get started? The last one is the closer. Very important question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!!

What advice would you give to someone who is interviewing for a volunteer position in a Cognition, Memory and Development lab? What questions should I ask the professor while in the meeting? HELP!! I don't know what to say or ask!!

Thanks,

PsychUndergrad18

Read some articles. Ask about what your day to day responsibilities look like. Ask about how the lab is organized in terms of who you would be reporting too most often. DO NOT SELF DISCLOSE ANY PERSONAL MENTAL HEALTH HISTORY.

Thanks!! I don't really have any mental health history so I wouldn't disclose that. Anything else not to say while in the meeting?

Thanks!! I don't really have any mental health history so I wouldn't disclose that. Anything else not to say while in the meeting?
Are there any hot chicks in the lab?
What is the policy about using alcohol and drugs and do you have random tests?
Do you guys fake the results sometimes to make it easier to get published?
Don't say anything like that. Basically, if you have good judgement, then you'll probably be alright. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Stress the hours you ARE available plus evenings weekends etc and not the hours you're in class

Should I stress the hours I'm able to put in for only this semester or should I also tell her the hours I will be available next semester?

One of the issues I've seen with UG folks is that they say "I'm super interested and ready to work hard" and then they say "I'm available from 3-4 every other Thursday". Its one of the most frustrating things to hear. Personally, what I want to hear is "I'm looking to try and work about 3-4 hours (or whatever) in per week and I'm pretty flexible. Are there times that you would need me the most?" As you are interviewing remember that it is your job is to be flexible. It goes a long way.

Since I only have classes everyday and the occasional church service to go to I am very flexible. When I crafted the email to her I said that I am available at least 5 hours a week and am very flexible in what days to work (except for Thursday where I have three classes that day) plus I will also say that next semester I am only taking 2 in-school classes while the rest will be online so I will have all day on Monday and Tuesday with some availability on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.