Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulRx14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
currently in a PhD program and I'm really interested in the pharmaceutical industry. I live in the south and I really don't wanna move far away from that region. Initially pharmacy school was my passion but the job market in saturated right now. Plus not the mention the massive debt I would inquire. Honestly it scared me. Would I have a good chance of gaining employment with having a PhD or should I get a PharmD/PhD? I'm in my 3rd year of my program but I'm willing to make that transition if needed. Is it even worth it? Or should I just stay in my PhD program and take more classes directed towards clinical research... For instance I could take some clinical classes with the PharmD students? My dream job would be to work at a pharmaceutical company and work in R&D...What type of classes besides pharmacology should I be taking? Pharmacokinetics? Drug classes?

Members don't see this ad.

currently in a PhD program and I'm really interested in the pharmaceutical industry. I live in the south and I really don't wanna move far away from that region. Initially pharmacy school was my passion but the job market in saturated right now. Plus not the mention the massive debt I would inquire. Honestly it scared me. Would I have a good chance of gaining employment with having a PhD or should I get a PharmD/PhD? I'm in my 3rd year of my program but I'm willing to make that transition if needed. Is it even worth it? Or should I just stay in my PhD program and take more classes directed towards clinical research... For instance I could take some clinical classes with the PharmD students? My dream job would be to work at a pharmaceutical company and work in R&D...What type of classes besides pharmacology should I be taking? Pharmacokinetics? Drug classes?

If you dream job is to work in the pharmaceutical industry in R+D then you don't need a pharmD. Why put yourself through that kind of debt, stress, and time to get something that a PhD would suffice? IF your dream is to become a pharmacists then by all means, go for it. I would never discourage someone from pharmacy if it's their dream.