Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshDunc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have finished my application and ready to submit ($460 is a budget killer!) I take the OAT on August 16th. I have worked in 2 offices and shadowed 4 doctors. I have 40 hours or unpaid shadow experience, over 700 hours of paid experience, and 8 hours of optometric community service. I have a GPA of 3.0 right now. I'm actually pleased with it given my brother has passed away, mom diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and my grandma being dignosed with colon cancer. It's been a tough undergraduate career but my wife has kept me optimistic about getting in. I took the OAT my sophomore year of college and I made a 270 without cracking open a single study material and without key courses. My goal is a 310. Is this feasible? I just now got my study material in so I'm starting tomorrow. Any advice would be great! I got into Chiropractic School but honestly I would much rather be an optometrist since my uncle is one in Texas and my cousin just finished his 1st year. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you have excellent experience, which the admission boards definitely love. Your GPA is a little low, but I think with a strong OAT score, you can still be a competitive applicant. I'm very sorry to hear about all of the difficulties you experienced while in undergrad. Those are things to mention at your interview. But make sure you present them as being something that has strengthened you rather than something that has hindered you. Does that make sense? Never present yourself with any excuses (I'm not saying you are trying to have excuses. I just don't want you to make those the highlight of your interview!). I think a 310 is a good goal to shoot for. But really, it's hard to say what an ideal score is because different schools like different scores. Another factor is something you don't have control over: your applicant pool. Some years, the applications aren't that great so the school standards are a little lower. But then there are other years where every student has a 4.0 and a 360 OAT. I studied for about a month or two, and I was able to get the score I needed. I hope that helps. Good luck!

It looks like you have excellent experience, which the admission boards definitely love. Your GPA is a little low, but I think with a strong OAT score, you can still be a competitive applicant. I'm very sorry to hear about all of the difficulties you experienced while in undergrad. Those are things to mention at your interview. But make sure you present them as being something that has strengthened you rather than something that has hindered you. Does that make sense? Never present yourself with any excuses (I'm not saying you are trying to have excuses. I just don't want you to make those the highlight of your interview!). I think a 310 is a good goal to shoot for. But really, it's hard to say what an ideal score is because different schools like different scores. Another factor is something you don't have control over: your applicant pool. Some years, the applications aren't that great so the school standards are a little lower. But then there are other years where every student has a 4.0 and a 360 OAT. I studied for about a month or two, and I was able to get the score I needed. I hope that helps. Good luck!
Thank you! I obviously do not wish anyone to not be successful but I hope the applicant pool is not as strong this cycle lol my cousin is in his 2nd year and his class GPA avg was a 3.6 with a 310 OAT. He had a 3.2 and a 310 OAT. I'm very persistent. I graduate with my Bachelors in December and I'll work for am optometrist again starting in January. If I do not get in this cycle I will apply for 2017 Admission. I will just keep trying until I get in! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend aiming for a 320 or higher on the OAT. Take some time off to study. I studying using a friend's Kaplan OAT books for a month and was able to get a 320. My GPA was 3.0 when I applied for 2009, not sure how much has change since then. Good luck

Okay so I have finished my application and ready to submit ($460 is a budget killer!) I take the OAT on August 16th. I have worked in 2 offices and shadowed 4 doctors. I have 40 hours or unpaid shadow experience, over 700 hours of paid experience, and 8 hours of optometric community service. I have a GPA of 3.0 right now. I'm actually pleased with it given my brother has passed away, mom diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and my grandma being dignosed with colon cancer. It's been a tough undergraduate career but my wife has kept me optimistic about getting in. I took the OAT my sophomore year of college and I made a 270 without cracking open a single study material and without key courses. My goal is a 310. Is this feasible? I just now got my study material in so I'm starting tomorrow. Any advice would be great! I got into Chiropractic School but honestly I would much rather be an optometrist since my uncle is one in Texas and my cousin just finished his 1st year. Thanks!

how did you end up doing? I take mine tomorrow, do you have any suggestions?

Hello! I'm an Optometry Graduate from the prestigious (or the best school) for optometry in my country. The optometry course in our country offers a six year degree ( 2 years pre-optometry and 4 years of Optometry Proper). My school recently a certified international affiliate member of the ASCO. I want to know if I have to study optometry in US since I am considered as an international applicant OR it will be a straight way to take State board exam for optometry?? If so, do I have to start again in first year or it depends in my credential requirements and curriculum to study at any year level? Next month, I will settle down in US with family and also I have some relatives in medical field working and have been settling in US/CAN, . This decision makes me confuse all the time. Hoping for some reply and information, it would be a great help. Thank you ! :)