advise from current PT students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pilates2PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student heading back to school. I am 33 so I graduated from college with my BA a while ago. I was a Psychology major so I am lacking most of the sciences. I am currently enrolled in Bio 2 and will start Chem and Physics in the fall. I must say that I absolutely HATE my class and am afraid I will also hate PT school. Science is not my strongest subject but I did well in A&P cause I loved the information. My question to either graduates or students is: Is PT school like the prereqs since PT is science based? I am afaid I will not do well. Any insight you might have to help me make sure I am on the right path would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

GROSS ANATOMY
THERAPEUTIC AGENTS
FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS IN PT
KINESIOLOGY I
PROFESSIONALISM IN PT

The above are my first semesters classes. The following semesters include neuroscience, upper extremities, lower extremities, etc....

I think there is a heavy science base to PT school, after all we are dealing with the body. What exactly gives you trouble in the sciences? If you love A&P, I don't think you will have an issue with the curriculum that I have seen for most schools.

Like with pre-reqs you will have classes you love and those you hate. I didn't have any problems with the pre-reqs academically but have struggled in physiology and neuroanatomy because those are rooted in more cellular science (like general bio or chemistry which I didn't like as much). The things I can actually relate to what I want to be doing I'm great at (ie I did really well in 'clinical management of patients with neurological dysfunction' as opposed to the straightforward neuroanatomy). The pre-reqs are pre-reqs for a reason - they unfortunately relate to soemthing you will be learning in school. If you have specific questions I'd see if you can find someone in a program you're interested in to ask about their acutal classes and program

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to hear about the trouble and dislike you have for your current science classes. I think it is important that you understand that many DPT programs are heavily steeped in science. There is variability between programs however, so you should do your research thoroughly before you apply to PT schools. I am of the opinion that one has to, at minumum embrace science and at the extreme end be head over heels in love with science in our profession. I say that because the advancements made in the profession and evidence-based practice(EBP) we continue to strive toward exist in large part due to sound scientific advancements(i.e. Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, etc.). Sometimes when you are studying things you believe to be unrelated to PT school things can get frustrating, but once you get there then you will be focusing exclusively on your particular craft.

The previous poster gave you insight into their first semester, and I will do the same

Gross Anatomy
Movement Science/Biomechanics I
Physiology
Pathophysiology/Pharmacology I
Exams & Systems Review I
Intervention Skills I
Research I
Professional Management I

So as you can see, pretty much all of these classes are basic or clinical sciences minus the last class. If the DPT is what you really want, then science will always be around the corner. This fact is true in school and for the rest of your career. I wish you the best in the rest of your classes. Let us know if you need further advice! Best wishes:thumbup:!

I'm 34 and just started PT school. Don't let the age thing bother you. As far as classes are concerned, PT school is much more A&P and much less Chem, Bio and Physics. Chem bored me to tears too, but it was all part of the necessary hoops to jump through. How do you feel about hands on work? DPT programs are very lab/hands on oriented too, so it's not all lecture, if that is cause for concern.

My first semester schedule is very similar to others: Anatomy, Kinesiology, Professionalism, Interventions 1 and clinical research.

I'm 34 and just started PT school. Don't let the age thing bother you. As far as classes are concerned, PT school is much more A&P and much less Chem, Bio and Physics. Chem bored me to tears too, but it was all part of the necessary hoops to jump through. How do you feel about hands on work? DPT programs are very lab/hands on oriented too, so it's not all lecture, if that is cause for concern.

My first semester schedule is very similar to others: Anatomy, Kinesiology, Professionalism, Interventions 1 and clinical research.

I tell students ALL OF THE TIME....physics is the MOST important pre-requisite class you will take. Biomechanics, Kinesiology, Therapeutic Exercise, etc, etc....all have most basis in physics. After 20 years as a PT and a bunch teaching students, I find it even more true now then when I started.

When checking into the various programs take a look at their curriculum. As others have noted (though I am not in DPT yet) it looks like a mix of the sciences and the hands on / clinics. I am very much looking forward to the hands-on and clinics. Gotta get past the classwork.

Thanks everyone. I am thinking the problem might be the subject matter. I am in Bio 2 and doing classification of Fungi, Plants and all that jazz. We start animals next week so maybe that will be more interesting. This is my first class back in many, many years and I have never liked Biology. I hope I will enjoy Physics more. I start that in the fall so I think it's best if I stay on track and see how I feel once I am in Chem and Physics. That should give me a better idea of what I want to do. I have taken A&P 1 and 2 and Kinesiology and did very well in all of them so I am thinking I am just not ment to be a Biologist. Thanks again for all your advise.