Advise on career path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncprep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a PGY2 internal medicine resident. I will be applying to hem-onc fellowship next year and my credentials are as follows-

IMG, J1 visa
University based community program
Good LORs
Research internship at MD Anderson Cancer center
7 posters - (one at ASH and ASCO each as 2nd author, one at an international symposium as 1st author)
One research project going which might not finish before I apply.
Presentation at Tumor board
Transfusion committee

I am interested in malignant hematology and translational research. Understanding that I am a foreign graduate, I will be applying broadly to about 90 programs. I am also considering taking up a hospitalist position (7 on, 7 off) in the event that I don't match. While doing so, I plan to enroll in an experimental therapeutics academic program on my days off. Two questions:

1. The cliched, is there anything more I can do to enhance my resume?
2. How do you feel about doing the experimental therapeutics program?

Members don't see this ad.

1. The cliched, is there anything more I can do to enhance my resume?
2. How do you feel about doing the experimental therapeutics program?
1. Not really.

2. How do you feel about it? It has a low (but non-zero) likelihood of helping you and virtually no chance of harming you, aside from the fact that you'll be working 34 days a month if you try to combine it with a hospitalist job. Have you actually spoken to the director of the program and current "fellows" about doing it part-time? Are they down with that? Most programs like this expect it to be your full-time gig (although you can probably moonlight on top of it).

1. Not really.

2. How do you feel about it? It has a low (but non-zero) likelihood of helping you and virtually no chance of harming you, aside from the fact that you'll be working 34 days a month if you try to combine it with a hospitalist job. Have you actually spoken to the director of the program and current "fellows" about doing it part-time? Are they down with that? Most programs like this expect it to be your full-time gig (although you can probably moonlight on top of it).

Thanks for your reply gutonc.
I wish I had more training in basic science and research. I could not pursue this during or after med school due to financial contraints. I regret not being able to do so. There are a few programs that offer clinical translational science as a part of fellowship training. But these seem to be elite programs which I dont believe will accept me with my current CV no matter how motivated I am.
Working on a PhD fulltime is not financially viable for me. Instead, there are some masters programs such as the one at Tufts and georgetown that allow one to do it on a part time basis over a two year period. I feel like this is a reasonable alternative.