Adviser told me I a have low chance of getting into MD based on my 126 B/B score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You score is fine. Your advisor is so full of **** it's awful. Retaking over only a small few points difference will only hurt you. Great job on the mcat btw. :)

Reactions: 2 users
She has no clue what she is talking about. You are fine. With a good list you will have success

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could be me! I got a 514 but with a 125 on chem/phys. Also a humanities major with limited sciences classes and a 3.9+ GPA. My cycle was alright, I got acceptances, so obviously the MCAT wasn't a death blow. But I can't definitively say that it didn't hurt my chances. I really don't think the number of science classes taken has any effect, though.
But retaking a 514 would be dumb, it's like a 33.

You're fine, man. I just hope they don't screw you on the committee letter because of the perceived "red flag".

Oh yeah. When I first saw the 67th percentile I thought that that could be a problem, but looking on the link posted above it is a 9-10 on the old MCAT. Plenty of people get in with that sub-score now. I think you're good

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely don't take any more science classes. That only fixes a problem that you don't have (low science GPA).

You're fine, man. I just hope they don't screw you on the committee letter because of the perceived "red flag".
Oh yeah. When I first saw the 67th percentile I thought that that could be a problem, but looking on the link posted above it is a 9-10 on the old MCAT. Plenty of people get in with that sub-score now. I think you're good

The problem is that this advisor oversees the committee letters. If she thinks my sub score and lack of science classes indicate that I won't do well in medical school, then there's nothing I can do about it. The 9-10 isn't too bad for any section other than biology, which is the one I unluckily happened to do bad on test day.

I'm just hoping she doesn't write anything bad in my committee letter regarding this misinterpreted perception

The problem is that this advisor oversees the committee letters. If she thinks my sub score and lack of science classes indicate that I won't do well in medical school, then there's nothing I can do about it. The 9-10 isn't too bad for any section other than biology, which is the one I unluckily happened to do bad on test day.

I'm just hoping she doesn't write anything bad in my committee letter regarding this misinterpreted perception
I didn't use a committee letter because I knew it'd say something along the lines of "we don't recommend this guy"

Just round it up to a 10. Then tell her that you are confused as to why the equivalent of a 10 would be bad when the median bio subscore for all matriculants is 11 (according to MSAR). Then say that you really appreciate her advice and that after thinking about what she said, you definitely want to look into taking more science classes to build up your knowledge before med school, but that you still want to see how the cycle will turn out with your current application. Let her know that you value and appreciate her advice and will keep it in mind, but that you feel ready to apply, hahaha. See how she responds and decide from there if you want to bother with a committee letter.

Exhibit 234809458203948239482394 of a pre-med advisor being clueless.

Isn't Bio the most important section on the MCAT though? It's the most similar to med school content, right?

Isn't Bio the most important section on the MCAT though? It's the most similar to med school content, right?

Sure, but 126 isn't super-terrible and a 514 is a pretty good score. Coupled with a good GPA, competency probably wouldnt be questioned anywhere but a handful of schools.

Yeah but a 126 is totally fine. If it was a 124 then it would be different. Interestingly enough I've been told that the CAR section is the best indicator of board scores while the bio section is the best indicator of med school grades.

I believe there was some old study demonstrating the highest correlation between VR and step score