Aegd University of Maryland 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaysmile

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the Aegd program at the University of Maryland. I have applied for the one year program. Does anyone know if there is a fees for the program and if so how much. The website is not very clear. Do they give a stipend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @Jaysmile

https://www.dental.umaryland.edu/ce/advanced-aegd-program-for-internationally-trained-dentists/

They have a 6 month long.(The six month program will begin in the month of July (fall semester) and end in December of that year or will begin in January and in June of that year)
That will not be sufficient for your 2 year requirement (minimum) to practice in the USA as a FTD. And they do not have a stippen, as a matter of fact the 6 month long program cost is $30,000 and you can ask for an extra 6 month adding $30,000 more.

Best of luck in all your research

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey @Jaysmile

https://www.dental.umaryland.edu/ce/advanced-aegd-program-for-internationally-trained-dentists/

They have a 6 month long.(The six month program will begin in the month of July (fall semester) and end in December of that year or will begin in January and in June of that year)
That will not be sufficient for your 2 year requirement (minimum) to practice in the USA as a FTD. And they do not have a stippen, as a matter of fact the 6 month long program cost is $30,000 and you can ask for an extra 6 month adding $30,000 more.

Best of luck in all your research

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi DdSNY15
I have applied to this 6 month program. since I live in Maryland and school is near where I live site I thought I can try. do you think it's competitive to get into 6 month program? because I didn't hear back from them yet.

Hi DdSNY15
I have applied to this 6 month program. since I live in Maryland and school is near where I live site I thought I can try. do you think it's competitive to get into 6 month program? because I didn't hear back from them yet.
Hello,
if you applied for this cycle(2016) that would start July-dec, iam guessing it didn't stick? since this year's students are 2 month away(december) from finishing the 6 month. Contact the program and ask them if they have reviewed your application, and that you would like to know your standing. They will answer by telling you if your application is under review, that means you may get an interview for the cycle in January. The OP said that there is a 1 year long, you may want to look into that. I think is a bit disorganized to be honest. But since is your current home state and close by is not a bad idea for you. (maybe pay them a visit, call them first) You being a FTD 6 months is not enough, if you get into the program you can ask for a continuance where you will be asking for an additional 6 month making your AEGD 1 year, but you still will be 1 year short. You can then apply to the their 1 year long program and have accumulated your 2 years. But again is messy, not impossible. Contact them with the right questions so that you know how to processed.

This is a link to their website:

http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/ce/advanced-aegd-program-for-internationally-trained-dentists/

The person in charge of the 6 month program is: Groves, Keith W. [email protected] refer your questions to that person.
I will post detailed info that can be found in their website but was mail to me when i contacted them. Come back and post whatever info you where able to get! Good luck

THIS IS A COPY/PASTE THAT CAN BE FOUND ON THEIR WEBSITE. HOPE IT HELPS!

The University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) program offers a program in advanced general dentistry for internationally trained dentists. This is a six-month program which is designed to enhance the training and education of internationally trained dentists in general dentistry.
After successful completion of this six-month program, the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Office of Continuing Education, will award 125 hours continuing education credits, divided up into subject codes in accordance with the Academy of General Dentistry guidelines. The program is full time for the entire six months.
The program participants will attend short-courses in many areas of general dentistry. Their faculty will be drawn from the Department of General Dentistry as well as other departments. Some courses will be didactic and some will involve participation.

The AEGD program for internationally- trained dentists offers advanced and intense training in advanced general dentistry with special emphasis on implants, dental materials, aesthetic dentistry, digital dentistry, lasers and endodontics. Although the participants do not work directly on patients, they work on surrogate tooth and jaw substitutes such as typodonts, models, occlusion, extracted teeth and porcine mandibles. They also observe and assist AEGD residents as they treat patients.
The participants learn how to read cone beam volumetric tomographic scans and how to use them and diagnostic casts to diagnose and treatment plan for implant installation. They practice drilling osteotomy sites and installing implant fixtures into sawdust and porcine mandibles. They practice mixing bone grafts with saline, delivering to osteotomy sites and covering with a membrane. They learn how to restore implants on models.

They will learn how to prepare teeth for crowns, bridges, onlays, inlays and veneers. They will learn advanced techniques in operative dentistry and about resin based composites and bonding systems. They will learn how to select the most suitable materials and best clinical practices.
They learn about dental materials such as zirconia and lithium disilicate and other ceramic materials. They practice preparing teeth for onlays and crowns and then digitally imaging them. They learn how to use these digital images to generate ceramic restorations chair side and to glaze them. Then they practice inserting them on models.
The participants will be trained and then practice using lasers on porcine mandible gingiva. They will learn how to do aesthetic sculpting of gingiva. They will learn how to create troughs around teeth prepared for crowns and bridges for faultless final impressions. They will learn how to use the laser to do incisional and excisional biopsies.
The participants will learn how to perform endodontic therapy on extracted teeth using the electronic apex locator, surgical microscope and nickel titanium rotary instrumentation. They will learn how to use cone beam volumetric tomography to diagnose endodontic pathosis. They will learn how to perform different techniques for thermoplastic root canal obturation. They will learn about endodontic emergencies and how to diagnose and treat them.

The participant will learn different theories of occlusion. In our AEGD program we embrace several mainstream philosophies of occlusion including Pankey-Mann, Neuromuscular Occlusion, Dawson, etc. They will learn how to use different kinds of semi-adjustable articulators and facebows. They will learn how to wax up cases.
One of the most rewarding areas of training is aesthetics and smile design. Many of our faculty are highly accomplished in the area of aesthetics. Several speak internationally and have written chapters in text books on aesthetic materials and aesthetic dentistry. A great deal of emphasis throughout the program is placed on aesthetics.
Participants will also learn advanced approaches to treatment planning, especially complex cases involving multidisciplinary treatment. Complex cases will be studied and discussed. Emphasis is placed on treatment sequencing and re-evaluating cases as they progress through treatment.

Admission process
Upon submission of all required documentation, the applications will be reviewed by the admissions committee.

Requirements for Admission to the AEGD Program for Internationally Trained Dentists
· Completed application form

· Application fee
· Personal statement / letter of intent
· Curriculum Vitae
· ECE course-by-course evaluation
· Notarized copy of dental school diploma/degree and original transcripts
· TOEFL score reports
· Three letters of recommendation
· Interview (Personal or maybe by Skype)
English Language Test Requirements:
· TOEFL (minimum 80 internet based test, 550 paper based)*

· IELTS (minimum 7.0 total bandwidth score) please attach results*
*Scores from these exams must be no more than two years old at the time of submission of the J-1 request.
Tuition
6 months: $30,000.00 US
Visa J-1 (minimum requirement)

Six Months Extension
In the event that the participant would like to remain for an additional six-months of advanced training, the participant can submit an application for extension to the Admissions Committee. If approved, the participant can remain in the program for an additional $30,000.

International Student Admissions Standards
International Students who require J-1 visa sponsorship to attend the University of Maryland must demonstrate English proficiency and financial responsibility before the Office of International Services (OIS) can issue the appropriate visa document for the program of study.

English Proficiency
International students requiring visa sponsorship from the OIS must demonstrate English proficiency. Proficiency is most often verified through the TOEFL or IELTS English Language Proficiency Tests. For students whose native language is English, the TOEFL requirement might be waived.
To find the minimum acceptable score, please access the school's admission links.

Financial Responsibility
International students who require visa sponsorship must ensure they have sufficient funding to cover the cost of the program and living expenses while in Baltimore.
Financial responsibility may be proven by a variety of methods. These include the following:

· Personal or family funds

· Government or international organization sponsorship
· A University of Maryland Graduate Assistantship
The documentation must state the name of the person or organization that will sponsor the student and specify the amount of the financial support provided to the student.
If using personal or family funds, a bank statement from within the past six months must be provided. Additionally, if the applicant is receiving financial support from a friend or family member, that person must also write a letter specifying the exact amount of funding he or she will provide during the program.
The expenses of a married student are considerably more than that of a single student. In addition to funds for his or her own expenses, the married student must show an additional $5,000 per year for each dependent. A dependent is classified as a spouse and/or children under the age of 21.
Prior to processing visa paperwork, the OIS requires evidence of the minimum financial support amount committed to the applicant's education.

Health Insurance
Health Insurance is required for all University of Maryland students. The applicant must prove that he or she has coverage equivalent to University of Maryland’s minimum requirements, or purchase the policy offered by the University of Maryland to all students.

it doesn't say it's an accredited program by CODA. Make sure it's accredited before you apply or it'll be pointless

This program is not a residency . it's like a preceptorship program . none of the preceptorship programs are accredited.I have checked UCLA preceptorship ,rutgers, Boston, florida. non of them are accredited .

Hello,
if you applied for this cycle(2016) that would start July-dec, iam guessing it didn't stick? since this year's students are 2 month away(december) from finishing the 6 month. Contact the program and ask them if they have reviewed your application, and that you would like to know your standing. They will answer by telling you if your application is under review, that means you may get an interview for the cycle in January. The OP said that there is a 1 year long, you may want to look into that. I think is a bit disorganized to be honest. But since is your current home state and close by is not a bad idea for you. (maybe pay them a visit, call them first) You being a FTD 6 months is not enough, if you get into the program you can ask for a continuance where you will be asking for an additional 6 month making your AEGD 1 year, but you still will be 1 year short. You can then apply to the their 1 year long program and have accumulated your 2 years. But again is messy, not impossible. Contact them with the right questions so that you know how to processed.

This is a link to their website:

http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/ce/advanced-aegd-program-for-internationally-trained-dentists/

The person in charge of the 6 month program is: Groves, Keith W. [email protected] refer your questions to that person.
I will post detailed info that can be found in their website but was mail to me when i contacted them. Come back and post whatever info you where able to get! Good luck

HI DDSNY 15
Do you know any one who is attending the 6 month program ..I just wanna make sure that they do give you all the things mentioned in their website and there is a hands on practice " after all its lot of money"

HI DDSNY 15
Do you know anyone who is attending the 6 month program ..I just wanna make sure that they do give you all the things mentioned in their website and there is a hands on practice " after all its lot of money"
Hey, I surely agree with you that it is a lot of money!
I don't know anyone in particular in the program.

Contact this person: Groves, Keith W. [email protected]
and send him all your questions. And after you find out anything come here and post to inform anyone in your same position!
Best of luck!;)

Anyone got a interview call yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, the 6 month program is a paid observership and you just attend some lectures here and there that's it. It's not guaranteed that after completing the six months, you'll able to get in to the residency. Anyone who applies to the residency, regardless, domestic/international, your application will basically be thrown in the trash. As far as domestic, they only take their students and for international you need to take their 6 month preceptorship in order to be considered. The preceptorship is an absolute waste of time and you're basically paying for your spot in the residency program.

Basically, the 6 month program is a paid observership and you just attend some lectures here and there that's it. It's not guaranteed that after completing the six months, you'll able to get in to the residency. Anyone who applies to the residency, regardless, domestic/international, your application will basically be thrown in the trash. As far as domestic, they only take their students and for international you need to take their 6 month preceptorship in order to be considered. The preceptorship is an absolute waste of time and you're basically paying for your spot in the residency program.
hi nadent
did you attend this course yourself ?
i am just interested to know whether the things that are written on their website that its a hand on course is fake because if its only observer ship then there is no training. i know they wont allow us to touch patients but they said you will work on mannequins and typodonts. most of the preceptorships are like that. Its just a training to build up your resume either for DDS or residency.

hi nadent
did you attend this course yourself ?
i am just interested to know whether the things that are written on their website that its a hand on course is fake because if its only observer ship then there is no training. i know they wont allow us to touch patients but they said you will work on mannequins and typodonts. most of the preceptorships are like that. Its just a training to build up your resume either for DDS or residency.

No I didn't, I just know of people who went thru that process. Yeah, you're right, you do work on typodonts and mannequins. When I visited, I noticed that most of the preceptors just observed the residents and were waltzing around not doing anything.

No I didn't, I just know of people who went thru that process. Yeah, you're right, you do work on typodonts and mannequins. When I visited, I noticed that most of the preceptors just observed the residents and were waltzing around not doing anything.
Are you talking about preceptorship in Maryland or any other places? i am asking because i got accepted at Rutgers preceptorship and preceptorship in BU but i rejected both because they don't even allow to touch mannequins and you just have to stand and watch. I liked Maryland program better because atleast they will provide something to do, but if they don't then thats too bad because they are taking lot of money. :(

Yes Maryland. You can go down to the preclinical labs and work on mannequins.

Yes Maryland. You can go down to the preclinical labs and work on mannequins.
thanks for your replies. Do you think its competitive to get into such program? or they take everyone who ever applies as it is non accredited program.

thanks for your replies. Do you think its competitive to get into such program? or they take everyone who ever applies as it is non accredited program.

From my understanding people who have gotten in, have at least visited the program and observed for a couple of days or they knew someone in there already which probably helped more.

hi every one.
Just to update you guys about AEGD program in Maryland
I applied in October. I didn't hear back from them and technically classes should start in Jan. Any way after calling them 10 times . today someone picked up the phone and they said we didn't review any application yet. This program is not organized and may be we will start in march. Can you imagine. Nadent you were right. This program is highly disorganized. I would not recommend to any one. Even if accepted i will not pay them 30 000 $ for 6 month unorganized program.

Hi everyone.
I am a foreign trained dentist and was wondering if anyone can help me with my questions. I do see an application for foreign trained dentist on the university web page but when I went there in person to ask about the AEGD, PEDO and the 2year DDS program, they told me that the university hasn't been accepting any foreign trained dentists in a long time. Is that true? Does that mean its simply a waste of money if I apply there?
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone.
I am a foreign trained dentist and was wondering if anyone can help me with my questions. I do see an application for foreign trained dentist on the university web page but when I went there in person to ask about the AEGD, PEDO and the 2year DDS program, they told me that the university hasn't been accepting any foreign trained dentists in a long time. Is that true? Does that mean its simply a waste of money if I apply there?
Thanks in advance.

Yes. It is true. They don't take international students. They program that is listed on.the website is just to.make people send some applications so that they can make money. They throw the applications right away