AEGD University of Rochester Interview for 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys any idea about stipend for AEGD program ... Do they give stipend to International students ?
No!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys any idea about stipend for AEGD program ... Do they give stipend to International students ?

No stipend is giving to the international students, actually you have to pay tuition fees about 10,000$

No stipend is giving to the international students, actually you have to pay tuition fees about 10,000$

if you are non GreenCard and non-US citizen, then you have to show enough funds to cover your expenses during AEGD - to get your student F1 visa - I think, it's about $30.000-$40.000 per year (incl. tuition, living expenses, health insurance and other fees) - for single student. If you want to bring your family - spouse, kids etc... you have to show financial cover also for them to get F2 visa - it can be another $7.000+ per person/year. And these are just the plain expenses - you will probably need more in real...

It's not easy to get accepted into the program - if you are lucky and you are accepted, you have to apply for student visa at US embassy - if you don't have sufficient funds (official bank statements, sponsors etc...), then your visa application will be probably denied. You have to show strong ties to your home country and have to convince the consul, you want to return home after the completion of AEGD - they don't want you to stay in the USA...

So, think twice...

Members don't see this ad :)
PLY u are right and U.S citizen and greencard holder can only work in NY,AM I RIGHT?

if you are non GreenCard and non-US citizen, then you have to show enough funds to cover your expenses during AEGD - to get your student F1 visa - I think, it's about $30.000-$40.000 per year (incl. tuition, living expenses, health insurance and other fees) - for single student. If you want to bring your family - spouse, kids etc... you have to show financial cover also for them to get F2 visa - it can be another $7.000+ per person/year. And these are just the plain expenses - you will probably need more in real...

It's not easy to get accepted into the program - if you are lucky and you are accepted, you have to apply for student visa at US embassy - if you don't have sufficient funds (official bank statements, sponsors etc...), then your visa application will be probably denied. You have to show strong ties to your home country and have to convince the consul, you want to return home after the completion of AEGD - they don't want you to stay in the USA...

So, think twice...
Man what a negative post it made me kind of worry , and Im even done with the program:laugh:.......Let me tell u something when I was accepted my I20 only said 17,000 which thank God for me was no problem.....and the only ties that I showed in the embassy is that I was going to go back to work with in my dad office , that was it.... is not a big deal if you have all your papers in order. I lived in Rochester for 2 years spending 1,200 per month with no problems at all.....getting into the program is not easy but is not impossible... I strongly believe that EVERYBODY has a chance to get in even with no boards and limited experience ( like me!)....so don't get discouraged guys and keep it up!! Good luck!

Hi Xander,

you were lucky to get no tuition years :) but I'm afraid, that the I20 for 2012 will be over $30k to show, as the expenses are higher and you have to add the tuition ($10k).

Just curious - did you have to prove financial funds for both years of study when applying for visa/I20? meaning prove of funds 2 years x $17.000 - or funds for the 1st year were enough for them? (as usually, the universities and US embassy consul want to see funds for whole duration of study - all at once)

thanks for your great and helpful posts

cheers! :thumbup:

PLY u are right and U.S citizen and greencard holder can only work in NY,AM I RIGHT?

If your question was meant to work as a dentist - it depends if you are FTD or studied dentistry in USA or Canada - if you are FTD, then you should be able to apply for NY license after the completion of RU AEGD - there might be some other US states accepting RU AEGD, but I'm not sure...

If you studied dentistry at some accredited US or Canadian university, then you can apply for license at any US state (even without AEGD)...

Hi Xander,

you were lucky to get no tuition years :) but I'm afraid, that the I20 for 2012 will be over $30k to show, as the expenses are higher and you have to add the tuition ($10k).

Just curious - did you have to prove financial funds for both years of study when applying for visa/I20? meaning prove of funds 2 years x $17.000 - or funds for the 1st year were enough for them? (as usually, the universities and US embassy consul want to see funds for whole duration of study - all at once)

thanks for your great and helpful posts

cheers! :thumbup:

Well u r right about the 10 grant......I think that u only have to show proof for one year

Well u r right about the 10 grant......I think that u only have to show proof for one year

Xander, thanks for your reply

more exact numbers for single student for 2012 = 12 months x $1.675 = $20.100 for living expenses + $10.000 for tuition = $30.100 - this sum (+) will probably appear on I-20 for 2012 - this is the minimum sum of money you have to show available when applying for F-1 visa.
(this is just my estimate from what I have found on the web, don't take it as exact sum...)

The AEGD for FTD takes 2 years, you should be able to show funds for these two years of study = 2 years x $30.100 = $60.200

Xander, you were lucky, that Rochester University and the US embassy consul wanted to see just funds for the 1st year, as the requirement for F-1 student visa is to show funds for whole period of your study...

Last edited:
Man what a negative post it made me kind of worry , and Im even done with the program:laugh:.......Let me tell u something when I was accepted my I20 only said 17,000 which thank God for me was no problem.....and the only ties that I showed in the embassy is that I was going to go back to work with in my dad office , that was it.... is not a big deal if you have all your papers in order. I lived in Rochester for 2 years spending 1,200 per month with no problems at all.....getting into the program is not easy but is not impossible... I strongly believe that EVERYBODY has a chance to get in even with no boards and limited experience ( like me!)....so don't get discouraged guys and keep it up!! Good luck!
I am just wondering; which type of qualification that you have made them pick you from more than 250 applicants!!!?

even i have an interview on the same day at 10.30am ... i am equally clueless ... i dont think they r inviting anyone formally, its d same one line email !
wer r u planning 2 stay in rochester ?

Friends,
through the guidance provided,
Staybridge suites seems best option.
its nearest to IV centre.

Best Luck Guys...:thumbup:

Hi Xander,

you have done a great humanitarian work,:luck:
guiding the fellow dental fraternity who are seeking answer to varios questions like mine:) in this Forum.

I would request to please comment whether they would ask anything about our financial aspect during the interview as this year the AEGD programs seems different that the yesteryear by following points:-

1. The Seat Increase which i read in forum i.e from 8 to 20.

2. The inclusion of Tution Fees for the AEGD program.

I am travelling all the way from India for the Interview so i shall according carry the documents.

Thanks in anticipation of your Guidance.:)

Do anybody got I/V date on october 4? Because I got an email from Mona that says, they could see me on that day. That is it. No other information about how to conduct the interview process and where I will meet them. Please guys give me some clues about the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do anybody got I/V date on october 4? Because I got an email from Mona that says, they could see me on that day. That is it. No other information about how to conduct the interview process and where I will meet them. Please guys give me some clues about the process.

Hi,
Congrats for the interview and all the best.
I too got the same date which is Oct 4th at 8:30 A.M.
cool.

:thumbup:

Hi,
cool.

Please guys share your qualifications, which made them send you invitations :confused:

Hi,
cool.

Congrats, I am having an interview too on Oct 4th .. I hope to seee you guys there and wish you all the best.. please lets share any informations that we may need for that day..

Congrats, I am having an interview too on Oct 4th .. I hope to seee you guys there and wish you all the best.. please lets share any informations that we may need for that day..

Please share your qualifications, which made them send you an invitation

I am just curious to know and find out from you guys and gals,when did you submit your applications?are they processing applications in the order when they were received or they have some other criteria,that i am sure about experience and other educational qualifiations.As i submitted mine in end of August.

I am just wondering; which type of qualification that you have made them pick you from more than 250 applicants!!!?
The only thing I can think about is the interview...because I had no other qualifications rather my school grades...

Hi Xander,

you have done a great humanitarian work,:luck:
guiding the fellow dental fraternity who are seeking answer to varios questions like mine:) in this Forum.

I would request to please comment whether they would ask anything about our financial aspect during the interview as this year the AEGD programs seems different that the yesteryear by following points:-

1. The Seat Increase which i read in forum i.e from 8 to 20.

2. The inclusion of Tution Fees for the AEGD program.

I am travelling all the way from India for the Interview so i shall according carry the documents.

Thanks in anticipation of your Guidance.:)
No problem Im glad I can help...
I dont think they are going to ask you to proof any financial aspect during the interview. This is specifically for the tuition , and Im sure that Dr. Malmstrom doesn't care if you can prove it or not what r they r looking for are competent residents that can be part of the program.

1. there is a misunderstanding here....they take 20 residents but this include FTD and US graduates. The number for FTD is still 12 ( 8 for AEGD) (2 Community dentistry/AEGD) (2 Research/ AEGD)......I heard that they were increasing the number of seats but Im sure it will not be 20 because there is not enough space for that many people.

2. $10,000 for tuition per year

Best of luck! Mucha Suerte!:thumbup:

Hi Xander, thanks much for all your help and support to all the prospective applicants. Per your last post- can you please explain what do you mean by Community dentistry/AEGD and research/AEGD? Isn't it just the same AEGD application, or do we have to submit 3 different applications- one for general AEGD, one for community AEGD and one for research AEGD? Sorry, if this sounds too stupid. I guess I must have missed that info on the website. Thanks for your time.

Hi Xander, thanks much for all your help and support to all the prospective applicants. Per your last post- can you please explain what do you mean by Community dentistry/AEGD and research/AEGD? Isn't it just the same AEGD application, or do we have to submit 3 different applications- one for general AEGD, one for community AEGD and one for research AEGD? Sorry, if this sounds too stupid. I guess I must have missed that info on the website. Thanks for your time.
Dont worry believe me there is not stupid question!! No , you don't have to submit different applications. The applications and the interview process is the same for everybody, when all this is done, they will pick 12 FTD ( idk if the number increased this year) .....8 residents will do 2 year AEGD program, 2 residents will do a 1 year of Community dentistry and then 2 year AEGD, and 2 residents will do 1 year of Research and then 2 year AEGD. The certificate is the same at the end, the only difference is that 4 residents will have to do an extra year.

Oh ok. So, they would decide who the 4 residents are at the end of the interview process. Sounds neat. Keeping my fingers crossed for that. Thanks again, Xander :). Wishing you the BEST in life !!

even i have an interview on the same day at 10.30am ... i am equally clueless ... i dont think they r inviting anyone formally, its d same one line email !
wer r u planning 2 stay in rochester ?
I have not decided it yet. Once I reach USA I will consult a few friends and find it out. I will keep you posted with the options.

Oh ok. So, they would decide who the 4 residents are at the end of the interview process. Sounds neat. Keeping my fingers crossed for that. Thanks again, Xander :). Wishing you the BEST in life !!
Txs! likewise

Txs! likewise
Hello Xander,
I haven't got and answer for my e mails. I don't know if they will invite me or not but I am can of sad for that because I did apply in April Dude and Nothing yet.:(
I really want to get the chance to be able to Teach and be part of the research group in Rochester.
How is everything with Prostho.
Best regards, :):thumbup:
Paul 74

Hello Smilearchitect ,
Congrats !
I am planning on applying for AEGD program Rochester , can you please tell me the process ? is it too late to apply ? pls guide me .
Wish u the best for ur Interview.

Hey toothfixer007, thanks for the wishes. Deadline for 2012 application was Sept 1st, 2011. You can think about 2013. And if you have taken your boards you can apply to many other schools.
All the information about AEGD Rochester program and application is available on their website- http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/dentistry/education/programs/advanced-ed.cfm

Hope it helps :)

Friends,
through the guidance provided,
Staybridge suites seems best option.
its nearest to IV centre.

Best Luck Guys...:thumbup:

Hi DSMILEDR,

Can you pls let me know the exact address of IV center, I have my interview on Nov 1st but other than that they did not provide any other information.
Thanks alot

Hi DSMILEDR,

Can you pls let me know the exact address of IV center, I have my interview on Nov 1st but other than that they did not provide any other information.
Thanks alot
625 Elmwood avenue
General Dentistry Department
Rochester, NY 14620

Hello Xander,
I haven't got and answer for my e mails. I don't know if they will invite me or not but I am can of sad for that because I did apply in April Dude and Nothing yet.:(
I really want to get the chance to be able to Teach and be part of the research group in Rochester.
How is everything with Prostho.
Best regards, :):thumbup:
Paul 74
Everything is going great txs! it so weird that u didn't get an interview if you apply early they usually do give u one for sure.

I have been applied for AEGD, Rochester University; in the last week of August, I have good qualifications and experience,Also I have NBDE part one and two but I didn't receive any email regarding the interview.Would you please,tell me if anyone apply at the same time and got interview appointment?

Hey toothfixer007, thanks for the wishes. Deadline for 2012 application was Sept 1st, 2011. You can think about 2013. And if you have taken your boards you can apply to many other schools.
All the information about AEGD Rochester program and application is available on their website- http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/dentistry/education/programs/advanced-ed.cfm

Hope it helps :)

Thanks a lot for the info smilearchitect,
A few more questions ..
I Will be taking my part 1 in early Nov .
Can i complete the application process before taking part 1 and send the scores later ?
Where will i find the info about schools wid late deadlines .
What were ur stats like ? i mean the gpa , experience and scores ,
please let me know so that i can work on my profile if i have to ,
Thank you again,
Wish u Success !

Just received an email from Ms. fine about the interview invitation on November 1. Anyone on same date?

Thanks a lot for the info smilearchitect,
A few more questions ..
I Will be taking my part 1 in early Nov .
Can i complete the application process before taking part 1 and send the scores later ?
Where will i find the info about schools wid late deadlines .
What were ur stats like ? i mean the gpa , experience and scores ,
please let me know so that i can work on my profile if i have to ,
Thank you again,
Wish u Success !

Thanks again. For AEGD Rochester you don't need boards. Regarding scores, they just want tOEFL that also after you get accepted. My GPA was 3.5 with US research and dental assisting experience. No Boards

For advance standing application some schools give you a month time frame after the deadline to complete your application, if so you can submit the application and send the scores later but my advice would be go their website to confirm, you don't wanna waste your money right!! To my knowledge you'll have Loma Linda, NYU, Temple, Colorado and Boston Universities to apply for advance standing after you are done with your boards. All the best.

Just received an email from Ms. fine about the interview invitation on November 1. Anyone on same date?

Hi, I am on the same date at 9:00. What about you?? Where are you from? I hope you don't mind asking me your stats :)

I have been applied for AEGD, Rochester University; in the last week of August, I have good qualifications and experience,Also I have NBDE part one and two but I didn't receive any email regarding the interview.Would you please,tell me if anyone apply at the same time and got interview appointment?

Hi I got the interview for Nov1 and applied during the same time as you. I don't wanna interfere but just curious why are you going for AEGD when you can go for advance standing if you have both part 1 and 2. With DDS you can work in any state. Good luck

I am at 10 am. Applied in last week of august and received email today!! I live in east cast where r you from?

Anybody got Nov.29th as the interview date? If yes- any female willing to share a room in Rochester- November 28th evening to November 29th evening?

Thanks !!

I am at 10 am. Applied in last week of august and received email today!! I live in east cast where r you from?

Hi There,I applied in last week of August too.Would you mind if you can share your stats?Thanks.:)

May you please,tell me about the time of sending your application?would you share your qualifications, experience,GpA, NBDE?

Hi I got the interview for Nov1 and applied during the same time as you. I don't wanna interfere but just curious why are you going for AEGD when you can go for advance standing if you have both part 1 and 2. With DDS you can work in any state. Good luck

In all situations, NBDE Part I and II are required to get license whether I applied to AEGD or advance standing program. The AEGD will give me good training with less cost "no loan" .One or two states will be more than enough for me if I get license to work as dentist in USA.

part 1 81 lot of research experience and presentation, toefl 100 and gpa 3. 71.

Hello everyone,
Is there anyone who REAPPLIED This year got an interview call?
Thanks in advance:luck:

Hi All,
If you have got an interview, please even mention when you have applied. That would help others to see if the application is being reviewed in the order they have received or do they have any specific criteria to go through the applications. It also helps others to see if its in the order it has been received, will they be a chance for them for an interview this year or should they concentrate on other programs.

Thanks

Same here, near DC. Hope to see you on 1st :thumbup:
I haven get any answer, I e mail Mrs Foy and Mrs Fien and no one answer about my status..
Well I will be waiting for God's desire.. But I really want to go to Rochester.:thumbup:

hello everybody...... i have an interview there on nov 1 at 10am ....... who has an interview that day? what hotel did u guys choose to stay? how close is it from the airport or the school? how much a taxi will cost? heheheeh too many questions i know... but is my first time traveling along and i am pretty nervous.....
please answer me =)