AEGDs/GPRs and Civilian/Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaming2k5

Where's the beef?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I joined the AEGD Residency in the Air Force, I didn't really know what it's all about except that I will get "better" at what I should already know coming out of Dental School. So, I want to start this thread to kind of tally what I've done (or will expect to do) by end of this 1 year program.

17 days in -

= Only had lectures in Ortho, Pros, Operative, Perio, OMFS, Endo, pretty much all introductions on what to expect

* Ortho - I'm not sure what we'd be learning... how to adjust bands and etc I guess. 3-4 cases for the entire year.
* Not sure how many crowns/bridges we will be expected to complete, but apparently, there's no "requirement"
* Standard of care for Class Vs include mini flap... I never did a mini flap in dental school... did I screw my patients over during these past 2 yrs?
* Perio - all they want us to know how to do by end of the year is how to lengthen crowns...
* A lot of emphasis on acls and meds and taking out 3rds... 3 rotations only I think.
* Professor tell us to expect to do at least 30 endos this year. Not sure if that's low, average, or high in 1 yr programs.

Members don't see this ad.

* Standard of care for Class Vs include mini flap... I never did a mini flap in dental school... did I screw my patients over during these past 2 yrs?

that has to be the stupidest thing i've ever heard. many class V's are not even subgingival... are they going to make you take a scalpel to that?? lol it's going to be a mess with the bleeding and all. i just restored three deep class V's on #'s 4-6. just double packed cord. beautiful margins and no bleeding. if they asked me to lay a flap for a class V i think i may just slap them :)

seriously though, i think you just mis-understood what they said

Nope, didn't misheard. The operative directors at Langley like making mini-flaps. Since the previous post, I watched an envelope flap for a couple Class V and it was done really well -- no chance whatsoever for moisture contamination.

So, it's been a month. Had more lectures on various specialties and some simu-lab with extracted teeth and typodonts.

Operative - saw 1 operative patient and did a class 2. did some typodont work: amalgam full coverage buildup with pins, class 2s, etc.

Pros - typodont preps.

Endo - Access / instrumentation with extracted teeth.

Perio/OMFS/Ortho - more lectures

Comprehensive Care Patient - had 2 appointments so far for data gathering.

It's a slower start than my friend's GPR up in canada. He is on call 26 weeks out of the 52. I haven't been on call yet (won't be until end of Sept for only a week).

1) I have 1 dedicated assistant.
2) I have one operatory (I can decorate it... with a small photo)
3) I have my own cubicle in the cubicle farm, but no divider.
4) All instruments are provided - a 3.2x loupe is coming (mine sucked in dental school).
5) All patients are scheduled/cancelled for me. Apparently, if my schedule block says "endo", a patient who I have never met before, will be in the chair at that scheduled time, waiting for me to pulverize the pulp. (I wish my dental school did this).

-- how does all this compare to your AEGD/GPR? Would love to read some responses.