AF physician badge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFlightdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question- Air Force physician badges: at what point do you switch to the senior physician badge? The regs say after seven years...but is that seven years as a staff physician or seven years to include residency training? Haven't dusted the uni off in a while but need it for an upcoming Med Grp Dog&Pony.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have badges in the Air Force? Like, different from a hospital ID badge?

I like this idea. We need to bring it to the Navy. I mean if you can get a badge for being a SWO then I think physicians probably deserve a badge as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they put a love note in your MRE in the AF when you've been in for ten? Or is it just more, typical, AF smiley face pancakes?

I like this idea. We need to bring it to the Navy. I mean if you can get a badge for being a SWO then I think physicians probably deserve a badge as well.

USN does that by the staff corps insignia on the left collar. In comparison, all USAF officers wear rank insignia on both collars, and have their staff corps indicated by a badge above the ribbon rack on the blue shirt, or above the USAF tape on the tactical uniforms.

USN does that by the staff corps insignia on the left collar. In comparison, all USAF officers wear rank insignia on both collars, and have their staff corps indicated by a badge above the ribbon rack on the blue shirt, or above the USAF tape on the tactical uniforms.

I am aware of how the system works. I am expressing unhappiness that their service gets to wear more shiny **** than the Navy does.

Last edited:
I thought that you wear the senior badge once you put on major. As the regs also say that wearing an occupational badge is optional, I wouldn't bother spending the money on it.

Quick question- Air Force physician badges: at what point do you switch to the senior physician badge? The regs say after seven years...but is that seven years as a staff physician or seven years to include residency training?
Thanks!

AFI 36-2903 is vague.
10.4.2. Officers. Wear the basic badge after graduating from technical school (or after attaining a fully qualified AFSC when technical school is not required). Wear the senior badge after 7 years in the specialty and the master badge after 15 years in the specialty.

Back when I was USAF C-130 crew (before 36-2903), the rule was 500 flight hours to get the wings w/ senior star, and 1000 flight hours for the wings w/ master crest.

The OPR for 36-2903 is at Randolph. Comm 210-565-0102/DSN 665-0102 or 800-525-0102.

Some Navy MC badges are available if qualified: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_warfare_insignia

At least we haven't gone as far as some countries:
BGcMjqQCYAAbRVo.jpg

That's a lot of flair. You know who else wore flair? That's right.

stan_flair4.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
For the historically minded, it used to be that the "senior physician" badge was awarded upon completion of residency, and the "chief physician" upon board certification. It could be argued that under this scheme, it provided at least a bit of useful information to the person looking at you since they could thereby determine your professional qualifications.

As opposed to the current set-up, which doesn't really tell you anything that you couldn't guess from rank. (Or longevity service award, if you are wearing ribbons.)