Affordable Au.D. programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mooi214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am trying to narrow down my options of where to apply for Au.d. programs. I don't really want to be 100K in depth by the time I am finished with school. Any advice on affordable programs would be great! I am hoping to find something that is around 50K.

Members don't see this ad.

If you search the specific school's graduate tuition on Google, it will usually bring up the cost of tuition. You might still have to do a bit of digging but most, if not all, schools will have that information somewhere on the website. Also, you can look on AHSA's Edfind page to see which schools typically offer funding.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can do a state school with in state tuition it's in your best interest financially. Also I would look at some of the lower ranked/smaller programs as they usually offer better funding to attract better candidates. I know I was fully funded after my first semester for the entire program and chose my program on the fact I knew funding would be easier for me to secure than at some of the larger programs.

Many programs can walk you through how to get in state tuition after your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like TheEarDoc said, trying to find a state school in your state is a great idea. It's difficult, though, and not always cut and dry... You also need to weigh the pros and cons of programs and what your career goals are. Personally, unless I get funding, I am looking at two top 10 schools with tuition of around 80,000, or a potentially nearly free in-state school ranked 57 with major downsides. Downsides as in, traveling up to 3 hours for clinical placements, two days a week twice a month, staying away from my husband. Few professors, non-challenging it would seem.

Now, I am VERY particular about the job I want, a pediatric audiologist in a hospital setting, interested in research and cochlear implants, innovation. So I'm weighing the risks and benefits of paying for a high quality education or saving money, but potentially not being challenged and having to drive for clinic placements.

Definitely talk to programs and see if it's possible to get in-state tuition after the first year (some states are harder for this than others), apply for scholarships, look at in-state schools, and check edfind. It doesn't need to be a top 10 school, but also keep in mind that the ones ranked worst in the country are usually for a reason! Find out that reason, figure out what your goals are, and decide accordingly.

Like TheEarDoc said, trying to find a state school in your state is a great idea. It's difficult, though, and not always cut and dry... You also need to weigh the pros and cons of programs and what your career goals are. Personally, unless I get funding, I am looking at two top 10 schools with tuition of around 80,000, or a potentially nearly free in-state school ranked 57 with major downsides. Downsides as in, traveling up to 3 hours for clinical placements, two days a week twice a month, staying away from my husband. Few professors, non-challenging it would seem.

Now, I am VERY particular about the job I want, a pediatric audiologist in a hospital setting, interested in research and cochlear implants, innovation. So I'm weighing the risks and benefits of paying for a high quality education or saving money, but potentially not being challenged and having to drive for clinic placements.

Definitely talk to programs and see if it's possible to get in-state tuition after the first year (some states are harder for this than others), apply for scholarships, look at in-state schools, and check edfind. It doesn't need to be a top 10 school, but also keep in mind that the ones ranked worst in the country are usually for a reason! Find out that reason, figure out what your goals are, and decide accordingly.

Some advice from this previous predominantly pediatric audiologist. If you want to do pediatrics then I would go with the cheaper program. For some reason pediatric audiologists tend to make less than the majority of audiologists and you always have to live near a large city to work in a pediatric center (higher cost of living). I have walked away from multiple pediatric job offers because the pay was so bad. You can go to just about any school and get a decent amount of pediatrics, then do a 3rd year and 4th year rotation in pediatric hospitals and still be a top contender for pediatric jobs. Just some advice to think about.

Some advice from this previous predominantly pediatric audiologist. If you want to do pediatrics then I would go with the cheaper program. For some reason pediatric audiologists tend to make less than the majority of audiologists and you always have to live near a large city to work in a pediatric center (higher cost of living). I have walked away from multiple pediatric job offers because the pay was so bad. You can go to just about any school and get a decent amount of pediatrics, then do a 3rd year and 4th year rotation in pediatric hospitals and still be a top contender for pediatric jobs. Just some advice to think about.
THANK YOU. This is probably the single most helpful thing I've read so far, coming from a current professional who is familiar with the job market. I didn't realize that pediatric audiologists made less, which I'm fine with, but that gives more credence to the cheaper option. Very helpful. I appreciate it! It's certainly the more financially smart choice. I believe, after my tour next week, I will make my choice. I really do appreciate your advice.