General Admissions & OTCAS Affording a degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatcar

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The more I look into getting my OTD the more I'm freaking out about the cost. By the time I graduate with my BS I'll have about 32,000 in student loans. Another 120,000 sounds awful, but what choice do I have? I guess my question is how are you approaching paying for graduate school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My approach is to bury my head firmly in the sand, lol! I suppose I'll evaluate my options should I secure an acceptance on a case by case basis, but I have read advice to concentrate on in-state, public schools for the most affordable option. There are also loan forgiveness programs, although I haven't researched the details on that.
But you're not the only one--the price tag keeps me up at night if I spend too much time thinking about it :O

I got accepted to both OTD and MOT programs last year. I loved both schools and felt like they were both very good schools for me to attend. Ultimately, I chose to go with the MOT program. I was looking at a difference of $30,000+/semester, then there is the additional year for an OTD program, and living and transportation expenses. I figured that I didn't see myself going into teaching or research, but I could definitely go back to school if I wanted to later for an OTD. You don't want to be in the program stressing about the money. I have also been looking into scholarships, assistantships, and loan forgiveness programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be attending an OT program that is costing me $40k a year. I try not to think about it, lol.

I am not sure how far along you are with your BS degree but have you considered the possibility of transferring into a 5 year BS/MSOT program? I don't know how feasible this is, but it could help to cut down on cost. Also have you considered MOT vs OTD, depending on what you want to do with your degree the MOT may offer you a cheaper solution. If in a few years once you have a steady job / income you decide you want to pursue research and thus an OTD you could at that point. But as far as schools some instate schools cost as little as $40,000 where as if you are out of state or at a private college it can cost around $100,000. So my suggestion would be to shoot for an instate public school and that will greatly decrease the cost. Also see if you can find a job that is PRN while in school, whether it is through the school ie an assistantship or elsewhere. I have not been able to find too much in the way of scholarships and most of the ones that I have come across are awarded when you are at least a year into the program. I would keep your options open when applying, but take a serious look at the financial options for the schools you are accepted to. Best of luck! :luck:

Just as a heads up, many OTD programs offer large scholarships. I got accepted into about 4 OTD programs and received scholarships for all, which made it a lot more affordable. Of course with the Master's you'd have an extra year of salary whereas with the OTD it's an extra year of school, so an extra year of paying AND not making a salary, but hoping it will pay off in the long run.

At one of the schools I went to for an OTD interview, they actually broke down the costs of an OTD vs getting a Masters plus an OTD later down the road, and they proved how getting the OTD right away is actually more economical. Definitely a huge consideration if you're thinking you want the OTD. Good luck!

Just as a heads up, many OTD programs offer large scholarships. I got accepted into about 4 OTD programs and received scholarships for all, which made it a lot more affordable. Of course with the Master's you'd have an extra year of salary whereas with the OTD it's an extra year of school, so an extra year of paying AND not making a salary, but hoping it will pay off in the long run.

At one of the schools I went to for an OTD interview, they actually broke down the costs of an OTD vs getting a Masters plus an OTD later down the road, and they proved how getting the OTD right away is actually more economical. Definitely a huge consideration if you're thinking you want the OTD. Good luck!
If you plan to do loan forgiveness, you might as well do the OTD from the get go. Of course, if you have an in state master's, that is probably the most affordable.

The only instate Master's program takes 3 years unless you do their 5 yr program, so if I'm going to be in school for three years I would rather just go for the OTD.

May I ask where you were accepted?

May I ask where you were accepted?
Sure..Here's what I had posted in the gpa/acceptances thread for last round :)

Major: Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
OTCAS calculated undergrad GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: ranges from ~3.7-4.0
GRE: 151V, 153Q, 4.5 writing

Shadowing hours: 160+ hours

Applied: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Ithaca, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont, Columbia, NYU (I applied literally everywhere--underestimated myself and had low confidence so it's a long list!)

Interviews: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Ithaca (declined interview), Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont (declined interview)

Acceptances: all of the above!! Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD
(Still waiting to hear back from Columbia, waitlisted at NYU but declined my spot)

Rejections:
none!:)

Good luck to everyone!!