African-American doctor depicted as a Gorilla at UCLA medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's pretty sad and it's definitely heart-breaking :(, :mad:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMwYtycb_I&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

A respected African American faculty surgeon filed a racial discrimination suit against the UCLA Medical Center and UC Regents. Dr. Christian Head has been intentionally degraded based on his race and UCLA officials have ignored blatant acts of racial discrimination, including an edited photo depicting Dr. Head as a gorilla being sodomized by his supervisor. That alone is offensive. But the fact that the photo was publicly presented for laughs during an annual medical school sponsored event attended by more than 200 physicians, faculty, residents and guests is both shocking and indefensible. Hear what Dr. Head has endured and what UCLA officials continue ignore.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
wtf.. i didn't even know this kind of stuff happend in this day and age

This makes me pretty ashamed of people who are supposed to be medical professionals. How disgusting.

this saddens me alot :( just spoiled my day

Members don't see this ad :)
If this saddens you, then obviously you haven't been to the south.

Who thought for a second that this would be ok? Honestly, I'd expect more finely tuned critical thinking skills from physicians and professors.

racism exists?
racism exists among "educated" people?
Whoa, mind blow.

naive individuals should visit the south/appalachian region some time...

What happened to the doctor was just wrong.

They can't just go and call UCLA racist though. Just because California doesn't do the whole AA thing doesn't mean UCLA is a discriminative school.

I've lived there my whole life. For some reason, I've observed a lot more racism in the north (above VA) than the south. Maybe that's just me.

Would not have expected this from UCLA's medical center, including hundreds of medical professionals.

What happened to the doctor was just wrong.

They can't just go and call UCLA racist though. Just because California doesn't do the whole AA thing doesn't mean UCLA is a discriminative school.

I guess they meant UCLA is racist to what they did to the doctor. I can see that as an issue and also they believe a lot of students won't attend an institution where there are not a lot of African-American faculty present.

I am definitely not applying to UCLA for medical school and residency

That's a damn shame. UCLA is one of the schools I want to apply to.

You guys shouldn't base where you would and wouldn't want to go to medical school off of one case. Granted, I don't think many people here have the ability to say they wouldn't want to go to UCLA med, as most would probably get not get in...

I went to school in the South, GA, to be exact and I never experienced any racism. But then again I was in Atlanta.

this saddens me alot :( just spoiled my day

I'm sorry that I spoiled your day :(. This spoiled my day and I am outside the US where it's 2:52 am on Tuesday, lol. I have work in less than 7 hours :mad:

This stuff happens everyday, whether you see it or not.

I know it does happen but to be so obvious about it and DON'T DO ANYTHING, that's a PROBLEM. If it was a different culture I bet that would have NEVER happened and those students would have been suspended or something.

You would probably be shock by the stuff that happens to me, ( I am a black female living in Palm Beach, FL)

I am a black female from New York but went to school in Atlanta. I never been through racism before but you never know.

wtf.. i didn't even know this kind of stuff happend in this day and age

It does happen but I expected more from a medical school matter of fact a professional school.

I laughed when he described the picture, I am a horrible person...

Thread title is a bit deceptive; while certainly the behavior of the individuals involved as described was absolutely unacceptable (although we certainly don't know all of the details and taking a look at mainstream media like the LA times rather than more editorialized views of the issue might be instructive) this should be an indictment more of the two supervisors and the resident(s) involved rather than the institution as a whole; also, the medical school had absolutely nothing to do with it, so I'm not sure why that was in the thread title.

Obviously we don't know all the details (and they presumably do, since it seems well-documented). I think it'll end up being a lot more complicated than it seems from this obviously biased video clip. This gorilla incident supposedly happened in 2006 and he has stayed around for 6 years after it? Seems like that would be an uncomfortable working environment that one wouldn't want to stay in.

A lot of the time these things can look very clear when you only hear one side of the story but a lot muddier once all the facts are laid out. It's a sad story, though.

You guys shouldn't base where you would and wouldn't want to go to medical school off of one case. Granted, I don't think many people here have the ability to say they wouldn't want to go to UCLA med, as most would probably get not get in...

I am from the Northeast region and I prefer to stay on the East coast. It could happen at any medical school because UCLA got exposed I wouldn't be comfortable attending there. They are tainted now, well by me. The bolded statement has nothing to do with the video at hand. I am just saying I won't apply to UCLA, whether I get in or not is irrelevant and I can care less if I didn't since most UC schools prefer their own residents. I am completely okay with that :D

I guess they meant UCLA is racist to what they did to the doctor. I can see that as an issue and also they believe a lot of students won't attend an institution where there are not a lot of African-American faculty present.

I am definitely not applying to UCLA for medical school and residency

There's actually been a big push for more diversity in the UCLA health system within the past few years. Surprising, right?

But, DGSOM is still a great medical school. Dean Washington is doing what he can to improve diversity on his end. It's up to the bigwigs in charge at the UCLA Med Center to follow suit.

Thread title is a bit deceptive; while certainly the behavior of the individuals involved as described was absolutely unacceptable (although we certainly don't know all of the details and taking a look at mainstream media like the LA times rather than more editorialized views of the issue might be instructive) this should be an indictment more of the two supervisors and the resident(s) involved rather than the institution as a whole. Obviously we don't know all the details (and they presumably do, since it seems well-documented). A lot of the time these things can look very clear when you only hear one side of the story but a lot muddier once all the facts are laid out. It's a sad story, though.

Yeah I just copied and paste the video's title from youtube, lol. Also, you're right but then again they made UCLA look bad. Also the students are at fault too. I guess it's all for one and one for all type of mentality. :cool:

I am from the Northeast region and I prefer to stay on the East coast. It could happen at any medical school because UCLA got exposed I wouldn't be comfortable attending there. They are tainted now, well by me. The bolded statement has nothing to do with the video at hand. I am just saying I won't apply to UCLA, whether I get in or not is irrelevant and I can care less if I didn't since most UC schools prefer their own residents. I am completely okay with that :D

I'm sure you'll be missed.

Yeah I just copied and paste the video's title from youtube, lol. Also, you're right but then again they made UCLA look bad. Also the students are at fault too. I guess it's all for one and one for all type of mentality. :cool:

What students are you talking about?

There's actually been a big push for more diversity in the UCLA health system within the past few years. Surprising, right?

But, DGSOM is still a great medical school. Dean Washington is doing what he can to improve diversity on his end. It's up to the bigwigs in charge at the UCLA Med Center to follow suit.

That's very surprising and it's an oxymoron, lol. Yeah, UCLA is a great medical but I am not a Cali person. I love the hustle and bustle of NY and the other nearby states. I don't want to pass the Mason-Dixon line but if I have to then I will.

The students who made the presentation and talked negatively about Dr. Head.

Sorry, students=residents

uh yeah, they're not students at the medical school; in fact the med school has nothing to do with it at all except for the fact that the residency program is at their teaching hospital.

You mean the head/neck(ENT) residents? It happened at the resident graduation ceremony.

I always use the word students to describe anyone is not a full-fledge physician. Even though, I know residency is a training program they are still learning and taking tests and this is why I call them students.

I always use the word students to describe anyone is not a full-fledge physician. Even though, I know residency is a training program they are still learning and taking tests and this is why I call them students.

You learn and take tests as attendings too, are they also students? Once you get into med school I suggest you call all your residents students and let us know how that works out for you.

uh yeah, they're not students at the medical school; in fact the med school has nothing to do with it at all except for the fact that the residency program is at their teaching hospital.

Ahh okay and this is why you mentioned the title of my thread was deceiving. It's their teaching hospital that is at fault but of course they are going to try to bring UCLA down as well.

Ahh okay and this is why you mentioned the title of my thread was deceiving. It's their teaching hospital that is at fault but of course they are going to try to bring UCLA down as well.

I mean the institution might be at fault IF all of these allegations are true AND they didn't do anything about it or at least didn't respond appropriately. We don't know all the facts, so it's hard to say. It sucks that this happened to him though; the story as told is terrible and if true, some people should be punished.

Thread title is a bit deceptive; while certainly the behavior of the individuals involved as described was absolutely unacceptable (although we certainly don't know all of the details and taking a look at mainstream media like the LA times rather than more editorialized views of the issue might be instructive) this should be an indictment more of the two supervisors and the resident(s) involved rather than the institution as a whole; also, the medical school had absolutely nothing to do with it, so I'm not sure why that was in the thread title.

Obviously we don't know all the details (and they presumably do, since it seems well-documented). I think it'll end up being a lot more complicated than it seems from this obviously biased video clip. This gorilla incident supposedly happened in 2006 and he has stayed around for 6 years after it? Seems like that would be an uncomfortable working environment that one wouldn't want to stay in.

A lot of the time these things can look very clear when you only hear one side of the story but a lot muddier once all the facts are laid out. It's a sad story, though.

+1 This is only one side of the story. We need other evidence, at least some of the members present in the 200+ event need to speak up about what exactly happened. I find it hard to believe that so many people would remain silent about something so outrageous.

You learn and take tests as attendings too, are they also students? Once you get into med school I suggest you call all your residents students and let us know how that works out for you.

I will never call a resident a student in front of their face. That will be a dumb move on my part but I see what you're saying. A student is someone who is learning in an academic environment, so unofficially attendings are so of like students. I mean if you are going in a classroom, getting graded, and have a teacher or lecturer present, then yes you are still a student. But saying resident and attending sounds better.

I will never call a resident a student in front of their face. That will be a dumb move on my part but I see what you're saying. A student is someone who is learning in an academic environment, so unofficially attendings are so of like students. I mean if you are going in a classroom, getting graded, and have a teacher or lecturer present, then yes you are still a student. But saying resident and attending sounds better.

And is more accurate (and professional).

Sounds like you'd fit right in at MGH; even attendings have short white coats there because everyone is a "lifetime learner" lol

I mean the institution might be at fault IF all of these allegations are true AND they didn't do anything about it or at least didn't respond appropriately. We don't know all the facts, so it's hard to say. It sucks that this happened to him though; the story as told is terrible and if true, some people should be punished.

Well, we need to hear something from the residents and the supervisors. If they are not going to defend themselves then they look pretty guilty. Also, I don't think Dr. Head will go through all of this if it wasn't true. His reputation is at stake here.

And is more accurate (and professional).

I won't use the word to them or anything, that's rude. In person, I will call them residents and attendings.
Sounds like you'd fit right in at MGH; even attendings have short white coats there because everyone is a "lifetime learner" lol

lol, I can imagine the stress level. Yes, they will honestly be "students" forever until they are faculty or something, lol.