African American nontraditional students, check in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance7779311

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any AA nontraditional students out there? Introduce yourself. Tell us where ur from! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are there any AA nontraditional students out there? Introduce yourself.

HI everyone!!!!
Ill be 27 in a few months and married with children:) Im just barely a third year in undergrad. I have took sometime off to get my Medical Asistant degree. I have a horriable gpa right now. I know that I will have to do a post bac + a SMP program before I can apply:(. I'll be 32 or 33 when I apply for Medical school. However, I know that this is what I want to do.

AA male here. Been out of school since 2003. I have been going H.A.M on this MCAT for about two weeks now. I am following the SN2's method for the four month plan. I will be in medical school next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Im Dominique. Im 24. I graduated from collegea few years back. I will be applying to med school next year. I went to Grand Valley for undergrad. Im currently at Wayne State, finishing up some prerequsites before i can apply to med school. Im thinking about going to Wayne State for med school. Well nice to meet you guys!

I guess I would be non-traditional, I started med school at 25, I took 2 years to complete a post bac after college, then decided to work for a bit. Good luck to you all!

I am a Ph.D. to M.D. non-trad. I hope to defend my thesis in the next few months. Subsequently, I will take a year off to work and then apply during the 2013 cycle.

md2bknox here, I will be 25 when I apply and 26 (if I get in) when I matriculate to med school. Trying to work off a devastating gpa right now.. I plan to apply in 2012 for class of 2017:) Taking the Jan MCATs. Best of luck to you all!!

I'm a single 27 Y/O female that just got admitted to Drexel MSP, but is still somewhat scared spitless of the astounding debt coming my way. No major responsibilities, but a car payment.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! 20 yo black female RN currently pursuing bachelors in biopsychology. Engaged w/ child on the way. Right now I have a 3.8 gpa, but I'm determined to get it back to a 4.0 ;). I'm pursuing a degree in medicine bc I felt like nursing wasnt much of a challenge. Well, not for me. But, I would like to attend a med school in S.Florida, however I would probably end up moving. Well, that's my life in a nut shell.

25 Y/O female..no dependents, bunch of loans, destitute gpa!?! I plan on applying to medical school next year, 2012 for Fall 2013, I graduated back in 2008 with B.S. Biology degree, racked up about 100 hours of BCPM courses with B-level performance at best, sad...I know.

My plan of redemption: MCAT, my old one has expired and its my only redemption. An advisor told me to spend 4-6 intense months on it(Note: My MCAT will determine whether I apply to any MD schools)

Academically: I will be taking a mix of new and old courses (C and below) as well as getting my MPH in Epi....studying for the GRE now!?! (current gpa ugrad 2.98, sci 2.84)

Granted all goes well, I will be entering med school at the "old" age of 27, turning 28 "older" by the end of my first semester(December)

**For 2009 year I applied aimlessly and unsuccessfully for employment and took two semesters at a local school...performance wasnt great, so for 2010-2011 I have been in a NIH-PREP program (1yr) doing clinical research

I have a NOW or NEVER attitude!?!

Glad to see its some Non-trad AAs!?!

Hey all,

31 year-old female, 2/3 of the way through my second bachelors. First one took forever, and GPA was A-BYS-MAL. Science GPA was even worse, and unfortunately, the lion's share of my credits were in science. Worked for 4 years, then I was laid off and went back to school in 2009. Doing 20x better in the second degree, except I just had a craptastic semester. But still, second degree GPA still competitive. Overall GPA beyond repair, I'm afraid...

I had some good EC's in first degree and I've had some research experience in the second degree. I have a few people that I know will write me excellent letters of recommendation. Planning to KILL the MCAT in January 2012 and apply for 2013 matriculation. I'm also hoping to take part in a mentoring program at one of the local hospitals this fall.

I feel very capable, and though it might well take more than one round of applications, I am confident that I will be entering medical school within the next few years!

Im 27 yrs. old AA single female with one child. I will be starting medical school this fall and I will be turning 28 in september. Im excited!!!!! I'll be attending Indiana University.

Hey there.

I'm 28yo non-trad. I graduated from the University of Rhode island in 2004 with a BA in journalism. Went back to school in 2005 to pursue a Wildlife and Conservation Bio BS. Withdrew due to family health issues and started a video production company shooting weddings.

I'm single with no kids.

Deep down, the entire time, I knew I wanted to be a physician. My father was an internist and his father was also a doctor.

I just started working on my inorganic chem and calculus last week at the local community college, both classes that wrecked me on the first go in college. I'm off to an optimistic start and just hope I can get this stuff down and do very well!

Nice to read about all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
HI everyone!!!!
Ill be 27 in a few months and married with children:) Im just barely a third year in undergrad. I have took sometime off to get my Medical Asistant degree. I have a horriable gpa right now. I know that I will have to do a post bac + a SMP program before I can apply:(. I'll be 32 or 33 when I apply for Medical school. However, I know that this is what I want to do.

33 year old male. Going to Toledo this fall. I am an informations system management major graduated way back in '03 worked and got on this journey in '08. Good luck.

I'm a 29 soon to be 30 yr old A/A female (where did time go?). I've been married for almost 10 years and have 3 boys, age 2,4, and 7 and in my previous life (the last 10 years) I worked as a real estate agent and mortgage broker. I'm currently waitlisted and praying for a miracle. The thought of being "trapped" in my current employment for another year is sickening. I finished my BS in May and this idle time is killing me. I'm ready for the challenge of med school, please please please let me in.

I'm 35 and just graduated from med school. I got an MPH after undergrad and worked in public health before med school. I did a post-bacc program to get back in "school mode".

Its so nice to see other nontraditional students who are of the same cultural background applying to med school. It makes me feel like I am not the only one on this long, yet rewarding journey, on my own.

For those who stated that they are currently in med school, or residency, can you offer us any advice or words of wisdom?

Hey I'm a 25 going on 26 year old AA non-traditional student....I'm currently pursuing my degree in Spanish I basically had to start over with school so I will receiving my Associates next Spring and Ill be headed up to ATL for the rest of my degree! I am engaged and I have no children, I am currently torn between Med and Dental so I'm just trying to figure that out. Nice to meet you everyone!!!

Hello Everyone,

I just graduated from Undergrad with a BS in Chemistry with cum laude and honors :)
I did 5 years at my undergrad because I transferred schools in 2008. I was on the right track, Class 2010 but grad with Class 2011. I am 23 years old since my birthday is early (Aries) and decided to take a year or two off to chill and relax. I am going to apply to medical school next summer for fall 2013.

I wish everyone the best of LUCK and I will see some of y'all in my class :cool:

O and I am single. No kids, no hubby, no fiance, no cats and dogs lol

34yo m here. PA->MD. Applying for the 2012 circle. Exp as a PA: ortho surg/EM/UC/Hosp Med/currently IM.

Last edited:
24 year old BM...from a small Christian university. Applying this cycle to both DO and MD.
I wish you all blessings and luck.

Last edited:
Hey all, 26 male. Finished my masters in biology last year and worked in research for a year while I reapplied. Starting M.D. in august and super pumped to finally be working towards my dreams. Good luck to everyone still applying.

Wow I feel old in here. I'm 30 y/o Biology major/M.P.H. I was interested in med school in the beginning, but got sidetracked by Katrina and decided that it wasn't for me. I worked as a Epidemiologist for 5 years and I am single with no kids. I'm now interested in Dental School/Orthodontics and in the process of preparing for the DAT.

For those who stated that they are currently in med school, or residency, can you offer us any advice or words of wisdom?

Hey!

I'm slightly nontraditional (started med school at 25). I'd say to use your age/time off from undergrad as a selling point - highlight what you did in that time, what you've learned, how you've matured, etc. Also, when selecting schools to apply to, I'd consider the average age of the class. School's with a slightly higher average age are probably more friendly to applicants who have taken time to do other things with their lives, and these are the schools you're more likely to have success applying to. Not that age is everything, but also you might feel more comfortable with a student body more around your own age than one with a majority fresh out of undergrad. Just some things to consider...

Hey!

I'm slightly nontraditional (started med school at 25). I'd say to use your age/time off from undergrad as a selling point - highlight what you did in that time, what you've learned, how you've matured, etc. Also, when selecting schools to apply to, I'd consider the average age of the class. School's with a slightly higher average age are probably more friendly to applicants who have taken time to do other things with their lives, and these are the schools you're more likely to have success applying to. Not that age is everything, but also you might feel more comfortable with a student body more around your own age than one with a majority fresh out of undergrad. Just some things to consider...

thanks for the advice! Thats a good idea to look at the average age of the schools because i know for myself, i'd be more comfortable at a school with more nontraditional students.

Hey!

I would definitely agree with this. As I stated in my prior post I have an MPH and worked in public health for 8 years before going to med school. Interviewers for med school and residency ate that up. You'd have thought I cured cancer or something :) My years in public health was pretty much all anybody wanted to talk about. Don't get me wrong, don't do something just to put it on your resume. Public health is one of my passions, so maybe that's why they wanted to talk about it. But definitely, if you have something that sets you apart from everyone else...sell it.

:love: Hi everyone new to the forum and looking for some guidance. 27y/o getting ready to relocate overseas for my wonderful husbands job. I am EMT-b certified and have a B.S in Interdisciplinary studies: Business/Art History. (grad 2007) I did terrible with my undergrad and top of class in EMT... 3.8GPA(don't know if that really matters)So far what I have experienced at work has got me hooked in the world of medicine (i have been INTERESTED in Medicine A/P since I was a lil girl)... And I have full intentions to do extremely well with my pre-med courses and extracurricular activities. But because I am moving overseas I am putting my education and work experience on hold as I will not be able to do either (---Wondering---)bc of what I've "heard" that online pre-med courses do not hold as much weight when being considered for med-school admissions.

Insight ... anyone ???

what are some of your stats thats been accepted?

anyone from CA and went to a UC?

22 black male here, poly sci @ uc davis will do my pre dental pre reqs during, alot of you OG's inspire me, i might attempt med route.

eeeek!

I wasn't going to post anything, but you struck a cord with me. I too had been on the path to becoming an MD, but was sidetracked by Katrina. For a long time, I didn't know what exactly had taken me off course, but when I look back, I see that it was Katrina. I sympathize with you, and yay for us regarding getting back on track to our true goals.

I am 24. Majored in Organizational Communication at Sacramento State in CA (began college as a biochem major at Xavier in LA). In the fall, I will be unemployed for the first time in my life, but will also be taking a full load of math and science classes as prereqs for med school. I have a while until I apply, but am looking forward to getting back on track and doing what I have ALWAYS wanted to do with my life.

Wow I feel old in here. I'm 30 y/o Biology major/M.P.H. I was interested in med school in the beginning, but got sidetracked by Katrina and decided that it wasn't for me. I worked as a Epidemiologist for 5 years and I am single with no kids. I'm now interested in Dental School/Orthodontics and in the process of preparing for the DAT.

...yes, me, lol. Very excited to say that I'll be 31 this upcoming Fall when I begin medical school at The Ohio State University by way of the MEDPATH Program.

Like many non-traditionals I, too, took the scenic route....and I'm so glad that I did. The road ahead is going to be much richer for it, but that's my story. Everyone has their own, ;-)

I wasn't going to post anything, but you struck a cord with me. I too had been on the path to becoming an MD, but was sidetracked by Katrina. For a long time, I didn't know what exactly had taken me off course, but when I look back, I see that it was Katrina. I sympathize with you, and yay for us regarding getting back on track to our true goals.

I am 24. Majored in Organizational Communication at Sacramento State in CA (began college as a biochem major at Xavier in LA). In the fall, I will be unemployed for the first time in my life, but will also be taking a full load of math and science classes as prereqs for med school. I have a while until I apply, but am looking forward to getting back on track and doing what I have ALWAYS wanted to do with my life.
Yeah Katrina definetely had an impact on everyone who experienced it. I actually came back after the storm out of loyalty, but it was very stressful living in a once vibrant city and coming back to 7:00 curfews and everything else in the aftermath. Congratulations for making your decision and following your heart and I wish you luck on your journey.

Good afternoon. My name is Chris Simpson and I am a non-traditional student.

Just wanted to update everyone and offer some words of encouragement, I made it in! Stay true to yourself and work at getting in to med school like its a job. When the interview calls, be confident about your non-trad status and be able to tell what you've gained from it. I wish you all the best of luck!

Hi all,

I'm a soon-to-be 30 yr old AA female (single, no kids) and will be starting my first year of medical school this fall. (Praise God!!!)

I just wanted to share my journey with my fellow non-traditional students in hopes that it will encourage you to keep working towards your dream. :)

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in biomedical engineering. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years and attempted to study for the MCAT during this time. I say "attempted" because although I gave it my best shot, it was pretty tough to study anything after working a 10+ hour day (which was probably the case more often than not). :sleep: I completed online and (evening) classroom Kaplan courses to improve my MCAT score. I was only able to bring it up a few points after taking it THREE TIMES. I decided to apply to medical schools although my highest score was...well...less than competitive.

The first time I applied to about 30 schools (it still hurts my feelings to think of all of the money I spent in application fees). I guess I figured that out of all of those schools, SOMEBODY would accept me. I was wrong. :( The second time I applied to less schools and a post bac program (I figured it was time to try different avenues). Again I was rejected by all of the medical schools, but I was offered a spot in the post bac program. After successfully completing the one year post bac, I have finally been accepted into med school!

I shared all of this to say....if this is truly what you want for yourself, don't give up!! Lord knows I've been discouraged by low MCAT scores and my book of rejection letters, but I wasn't willing to give up. This has definitely been a lesson in patience and perseverance. Just know that our personal timelines don't always correspond to God's plan for us. I personally believe that everything happens for a reason (even if we don't know what it is). Although I'm starting the path to my goal later in life, I'm EXACTLY where God wants me to be.

I hope this helps someone out there. Hang in there. I wish you all the best. :D

I'm a 32yr old student majoring in International Studies and I'm currently taking up some of my pre-med classes. I have a great pre-med adviser that's keeping me on track as well as support from family and friends. I'm also thinking of brushing up on my spanish (I'm Panamanian but are one of those that understand but never attempt to speak it unless forced to) as well as taking up another language (possibly russian). I feel that having a second and or third language in the medical field is a big plus.

Hi all,

I'm a soon-to-be 30 yr old AA female (single, no kids) and will be starting my first year of medical school this fall. (Praise God!!!)

I just wanted to share my journey with my fellow non-traditional students in hopes that it will encourage you to keep working towards your dream. :)

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in biomedical engineering. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years and attempted to study for the MCAT during this time. I say "attempted" because although I gave it my best shot, it was pretty tough to study anything after working a 10+ hour day (which was probably the case more often than not). :sleep: I completed online and (evening) classroom Kaplan courses to improve my MCAT score. I was only able to bring it up a few points after taking it THREE TIMES. I decided to apply to medical schools although my highest score was...well...less than competitive.

The first time I applied to about 30 schools (it still hurts my feelings to think of all of the money I spent in application fees). I guess I figured that out of all of those schools, SOMEBODY would accept me. I was wrong. :( The second time I applied to less schools and a post bac program (I figured it was time to try different avenues). Again I was rejected by all of the medical schools, but I was offered a spot in the post bac program. After successfully completing the one year post bac, I have finally been accepted into med school!

I shared all of this to say....if this is truly what you want for yourself, don't give up!! Lord knows I've been discouraged by low MCAT scores and my book of rejection letters, but I wasn't willing to give up. This has definitely been a lesson in patience and perseverance. Just know that our personal timelines don't always correspond to God's plan for us. I personally believe that everything happens for a reason (even if we don't know what it is). Although I'm starting the path to my goal later in life, I'm EXACTLY where God wants me to be.

I hope this helps someone out there. Hang in there. I wish you all the best. :D

Amazing Story! Congrats on getting accepted and best of luck with med school!

As a single, African American, female, I recently made the decision to definitely switch careers. After extenuating circumstances that took place during undergraduate school and afterwards, I am finally able to pursue my dream of becoming a physician. I have always wanted to be a doctor since I was a little girl. Unfortunately, with a low g.p.a. I attained my bachelors of science degree in biology from a state university in 2001. But I recently completed my masters degree this summer in education (I am a teacher.) with a 4.0 g.p.a. It's amazing how God works...in his time. I am hoping that the new g.p.a., along with a great MCAT score, will help me get into a medical doctorate program. I plan to apply next summer and hopefully get accepted around that time. MCAT preparation will be this fall and next spring for me. I plan to take the test later that spring and/or early summer. I am more excited now at the age of 34 about this decision than I was many moons ago.

As a single, African American, female, I recently made the decision to definitely switch careers. After extenuating circumstances that took place during undergraduate school and afterwards, I am finally able to pursue my dream of becoming a physician. I have always wanted to be a doctor since I was a little girl. Unfortunately, with a low g.p.a. I attained my bachelors of science degree in biology from a state university in 2001. But I recently completed my masters degree this summer in education (I am a teacher.) with a 4.0 g.p.a. It's amazing how God works...in his time. I am hoping that the new g.p.a., along with a great MCAT score, will help me get into a medical doctorate program. I plan to apply next summer and hopefully get accepted around that time. MCAT preparation will be this fall and next spring for me. I plan to take the test later that spring and/or early summer. I am more excited now at the age of 34 about this decision than I was many moons ago.

Get it girl! Knock out that MCAT and apply early!!!

Hey all. I don't know if I am non-traditional. But I am 24. I'll be 25 when I start medical school (hopefully). I am a dual citizen (Nigeria and America) and I graduated with a non common major (Forensic Chemistry). Hope to see some of you guys on the interview trail.

Howdy,

I'm a 25 yo AA female. No children. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA in Biological Sciences from a state school in 2008. I was pre-med throughout undergrad, but I decided to take some time off before applying to medical school. I've taught middle school science for the last two years and I'll be applying this summer. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on July 28 and I plan to apply to MD and DO programs in Texas thereafter. Good luck to everyone!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. :) Congrats to you as well. Best wishes!

Non traditional student right here as well. I'm 27 years old and currently studying for the January MCAT. I hope to be starting medical school at either 28 or 29 years old. 28 if I go the way of international schools and 29 if I decide to stay in the states. I'm just ready to get this show on the road and finally be on my way to becoming a doctor.

Hello Everyone! I am 26 AA male. I graduated in '07 from undergrad in Biology and '09 with a Masters in Public Health. I was accepted into Drexel MSP program this year and hope to start medical school immediately after which will be a couple of years from now! Good luck to all of you!! We can do it!

I'm a single 27 Y/O female that just got admitted to Drexel MSP, but is still somewhat scared spitless of the astounding debt coming my way. No major responsibilities, but a car payment.
I was accepted in that same program! I'll be moving to Philly next Wednesday to get ready for orientation!

Hi Everyone,

26 yo AA female non trad, no kids, bf. I graduated in '07 with a chemical engineering degree from U of Florida. I have been working for 4 years in the manufacturing industry. Although I love engineering, I have been struggling with my career choice for over a year now. After going back and forth on new career options and realizing many of my personal strengths, including ones I don't currently use at my current job, would be valuable in the Medical field, I made choice. Med school here I come, yay! I plan to take the MCAT in Jan and hopefully start med school in 2013 @ the age of 28.

Some of the biggest factors in my initial hesistation was:
-leaving a great paying job to go back to school (I have become comfortable in my current economic state and that will be a difficult adjustment for 4 years)
-Having to study for the MCAT for several hours after an 8 hour work day and incorporate volunteering at the hospital up to 20 hours a week since I don't have medical experience (studying will become application preparation after the test)
-completely changing careers at 28 y/o when applying for a job in the same industry would be easier

The one factor that overruled all of those was my HAPPINESS! I believe I will be much happier as a Doctor and all the things I'd be giving up for a few years would soon return in multiples. If anyone else is still struggling (although you may not be if you are already on this site), go with your heart and push all the fears aside because it will all be worth it. It has also helped me to have family and loved ones who are supporting me even when I doubt myself.

This is a great thread; let's keeping encouraging eachother to excel! Best of luck to everyone! :luck:

29-year-old non trad in California (Bay Area). I did 6 years active duty Air Force and I was a Business Management major all while I was in the service. I got out the military in '07 with my AA degree and I started working on finishing the major core classes at Park University in Missouri(I had only 15 classes and I was done!), but realized that Business Management was not the degree for me. 3.35 GPA and all too lol. I was stationed in Missouri for the whole time I was active duty, and when I transferred to Cal State East Bay, I decided to drop the business degree and go for the Biochemistry degree. Unfortunatley, this has tacked on about 3 extra years of school due to transfer and having to do all the pre-req's for the Biochem degree, plus all the courses that CSUEB requires =(. I currently work for Kaiser Permanente (non-clinical) full time and I have been knocking out 3 classes a semester (we have 4-10 week semesters year round). I start the Chem and Physics sequence in the fall and I will also be taking Calc II with those classes. Question: will schools look down on me for switching degrees mid-way through my business degree? And will my reasons for not going for this degree earlier (military service) suffice? I should be done with my biochem degree by the time I am 31 and I will apply for med school at that time. Also, since I dont have a 4 year degree now and my gpa so far is pretty cool (3.35 but should increase by the time im done with this degree), I dont have to do a SMP or anything right? Those are mainly if you did bad in undergrad or have been out of school for a while right? Thanks everybody and hang in there!!