Afternoon test: Mental warmup/ dieting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gene_pool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an afternoon test scheduled for 2pm on Wednesday...

I was just wondering if any of you had insight on:

1) When would be the best/worst time to eat? (My test is at 2 pm)

2) Are there any recommended diets for right before a test? (Do's and don'ts?)

3) Do you guys recommend any mental warmup(s) before a test? I've heard some say to read a verbal passage or two but then don't look at the questions...

4) Do most people look at their notes the day of/ the night before their test? Or do they just focus on being relaxed?

I normally wake up like around 6-7 to study, but I'm not sure if I want to do that on test day. I'll probably lay in bed for a bit longer and then play basketball for a little bit. Let me know if any of you have thoughts on any of this...

Members don't see this ad.

So I have an afternoon test scheduled for 2pm on Wednesday...

I was just wondering if any of you had insight on:

1) When would be the best/worst time to eat? (My test is at 2 pm)

2) Are there any recommended diets for right before a test? (Do's and don'ts?)

3) Do you guys recommend any mental warmup(s) before a test? I've heard some say to read a verbal passage or two but then don't look at the questions...

4) Do most people look at their notes the day of/ the night before their test? Or do they just focus on being relaxed?

I normally wake up like around 6-7 to study, but I'm not sure if I want to do that on test day. I'll probably lay in bed for a bit longer and then play basketball for a little bit. Let me know if any of you have thoughts on any of this...

1/2) Eat whenever you normally have been eating and don't try anything different from what you have been eating in the past. Having stomach troubles will both distract you and kill valuable time if you take excessive bathroom breaks. Personally I'm going to try to eat cereal and maybe eggs right before I leave at like 11/11:15, and bring a cliff bar with me to the center and either eat on breaks or as I'm walking in. Maybe a soda or something with a tiny bit of caffeine to pick me up between sections.
3) I have heard to read a verbal section and to do the questions, just not correct them. I think I might do this...or just try to meditate slightly, pending my anxiety level haha
4) Take it off, as a doctor friend once told me, you need your brain as well rested as possible before attempting a giant undertaking like this and generally you aren't going to learn stuff you don't already know, just stress yourself out...

I'm taking a 1pm exam, and I'm assuming I'm going to have trouble falling asleep the night before so I'm glad I don't have to wake up early lol so I can stress less about falling asleep.

I'm not sure if you should physically exert yourself beforehand UNLESS it is something you have done before and you know it helps.

bottom line: do what you have been doing, test day is not the time for experimenting with different habits. Try taking a practice test if you have time, and play basketball before and take it at the 2PM time.

I'm the type of person to study for an exam up to the very moment of the exam, and I didn't change my habit for the MCAT. I don't think it negatively affected me whatsoever, but I don't think it helped in any way either, since nothing I was going over was on the test anyway. You know yourself best though, so I think you should do whatever makes you the most comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@vanillabear55

Solid advice! I know I'll definitely be meditating as well...lol.

I tried not studying before taking my last practice test (AAMC 11) today. Scored least on this one than on the other AAMC's 8-11. I think I like studying before the test, as it primes my mind pretty well for the sciences, but can leave my brain a little bit tired on Verbal. I'll just make sure the studying is light...

I think I'll hold back on the morning basketball, too... not sure it helped this morning. For diet, I'll probably go with a protein rich breakfast and eat something light 2 hours before. I think I'll bring a couple Propel's with me to the testing center.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@vanillabear55

Solid advice! I know I'll definitely be meditating as well...lol.

I tried not studying before taking my last practice test (AAMC 11). Scored least on this one than on the other AAMC's 8-11. I think I like studying before the test, as it primes my mind pretty well for the sciences, but can leave my brain a little bit tired on Verbal. I'll just make sure the studying is light...

I think I'll hold back on the morning basketball, too... not sure it helped this morning. For diet, I'll probably go with a protein rich breakfast and eat something light 2 hours before. I think I'll bring a couple Propel's with me to the testing center.

best of luck!