Navy AGCME Requirements to Repeat PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooperd0g

Something witty goes here.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
People at my hospital seem to be talking about how if you don't continue with training after your intern year the ACGME is requiring a repeat of PGY1 if you are more than 3 years out from completion. This seems like it would effect anyone who does more than one GMO tour or possibly doing just one flight or dive tour with the Navy. However, I am unable to find this actually written anywhere official with ACGME. Does anyone have an actual reference to this or is it just rumor? Also, if it is true, is it just for categorical programs or would it also be for programs like Rads, Derm, Anesthesia, etc?

I understand that civilian programs may want someone to repeat internship after 4 years as a GMO in the military and that it may partly be due to having limited PGY2 open spots. However, the Navy in particular is used to guys coming back from the fleet. There is a guy I met this year who came back as PGY2 after two tours as a flight doc and several one tour flight and dive guys so clearly this repeating internship isn't being enforced right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually it's not an ACGME requirement but rather a "Board of XYZ" requirement. Look at the Board requirements for your specialty of choice. EM may be instituting something similar to this in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not worried, I just like to have the facts. It sounds like it is a rumor about the ACGME having a requirement.

I'm not worried, I just like to have the facts. It sounds like it is a rumor about the ACGME having a requirement.

To find out the full details (and really have the "right" answer) you'd have to look at all the different program specific ACGME requirements and the corresponding Board requirements.

This is similar to the "what is the most amount of leave allowed per year" which is actually mandated by the Boards and not the ACGME. Interestingly (and completely off topic) some Boards have no set limit to how much time you can take away from the program during residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

With Navy programs, folks almost never have to repeat the entire intern year. Usually a few portions of intern year need to be COMPLETED. The number depends on what flavor of intern you were. If you go into the same program/pipeline that you left as an intern you may not need to complete any portion, but you might be starting off-cycle. Now, the exception would be those folks that enjoy GMO/FS/UMO a little too much and end up spending another tour on the operational side by their choice or not. It usually falls on the program/program director to decide if the resident needs to redo any portion or all of the intern year to get them up to speed.

For ABIM programs, it's not up to the PD. The PD has to petition the ABIM for credit bd they decide. Prior IM internship, usually get the full year and the PD might decide to have you resitern for a few months. Prior tranny or FP internship and you'll get 0-4 months credit.