Age and matching for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spursss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I will be 31 when I finish medical school, will the different residency programs for neurosurgery look down upon me because I am older?

Members don't see this ad.

spursss said:
If I will be 31 when I finish medical school, will the different residency programs for neurosurgery look down upon me because I am older?
I am 32 applying this year and my home program as well as the other places I have done sub-Is have only been supportive. I should say I look really young (like 24-25 even sometimes confused for 18) so I am not sure people realize how old I am until they see when I graduated from undergrad.

Well that is good to know. You should let me know how it goes as you finish applying and get accepted. Also, where are you applying? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about it. I was older than you and got many interviews and matched just fine.

spursss said:

btw, what is the mean age of a US MD when applying for a residency?