age cutoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mocheese

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was checking out a medical schools breakdown of their students and I noticed a HUGE dropoff between the number of 25 year olds and the number of 26 year olds. Is this simply because there arent that many 26 and over people applying, or do medschools take dramatically less people from this age group? This concerns me as I rapidly am approaching 26. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I was that young, so full of life and enthusiasm.

I don't know why there is a cut off but theoretically the schools don't discriminate on age. Especially if you are still in your 20s or 30s. There are many poeple who are accepted to med school after they are 26. I have a feeling that it has to do with alot fewer applications.

mocheese,

The above poster is correct. Schools dont discriminate based on ones age. I was 27 when I got accepted. I had a friend that was 43 with a 17 year old and got accepted to Medical school. If anything, it shows that you are determined and have thought the process through. My best answer for the dropoff is it probably was due to the applicants, not the school. Good luck to you.

Aaron

Members don't see this ad :)
i am wondering about this too. i will be 26 when i apply, 27 when i go (hopefully!). are there schools that have a higher average age of students than others? i really don't want to be in a class with a bunch of kids. anyone know? have people had the same concern and then realized that it wasn't really a concern? i just feel like i would be annoyed by a bunch of 22 yr. olds. any thoughts?

dizzle said:
i am wondering about this too. i will be 26 when i apply, 27 when i go (hopefully!). are there schools that have a higher average age of students than others? i really don't want to be in a class with a bunch of kids. anyone know? have people had the same concern and then realized that it wasn't really a concern? i just feel like i would be annoyed by a bunch of 22 yr. olds. any thoughts?

I entered medical school age age 29 and I will turn 33 right before I start residency. I had 10+ years of work expeience, had been out on my own etc. I had a similar concern and sometimes my fears came true. My medical school class was, on the whole, immature, but they grew up as time progressed. I think you'll find some folks wise beyond their years and others who are locked in adolesence. But that will be true in your practice as well.

Good Luck!

- H

I am 28, turning 29 in June, and about to finish my first year of med school. Honestly, I get more annoyed at the OLDER students more often than I do the 22 year olds. I think the young ones are still coming into their own, many are away for the first time, and still respectful of authority. We have people in their 40's in our class, and no one cares about any of it. My closest friends are 30, 30, and 42, but I get along perfectly well w/the 22 year olds.

Just remain open minded. The annoying people can really be of any age.

It really ends up being a personality thing more than an age thing.

I started med school at 31. My best friend at school is just a few months younger than me, but I spend a bunch of time with classmates of all ages. The annoying classmates range in age, too. You'll definitely see differences in those who've been out the "real world" and those that haven't, but it doesn't always correlate with their maturity level.

I agree...especially with DO schools...they are alot more "bigger picture" oriented...Life experience is valued, and age should never stop you from applying.

I had a friend get into allopathic school...and he was in his late 40's.

OK,ok... enough of the "I did it and I'm old" posts. Time for REAL data! That's right. For you, I'm willing to scour the internet. I'm such a giver. Really I am.

FACTS - Applicant Age at Anticipated Matriculation, 1992-2001 :D
FACTS - Matriculant Age at Anticipated Matriculation, 1992-2001 :D

And for those too lazy to click, I'll break it down for ya.
Clearly, there is an age bias for one reason or another.

pecentile , age apps , age matric (for 2001)
01st 20 - 20
05th 21 - 21
10th 22 - 22
25th 22 - 22
50th 23 - 23
75th 25 - 24
90th 29 - 27
95th 32 - 30
99th 40 - 36

Although the data correlate with your hypothesis I am not convinced of the assumption you have made that they are the cause. Maybe there were less older applicants and they had less stellar statistics so they were admitted at a lower rate? Certainly anyone under 30 with a strong app has nothing to be worried about.

Oh true!
That's why I put 'for one reason or another'.
I was trying to say that the data shows an age bias, but not that age itself was the actual cause of said bias (ie, I was only trying to show correlation, not causation)...Did that make any sense?

Yep ... makes sense!..... guess you touched a nerve there! ha ha ha...;)

Same here actualy. At 29, I don't feel old yet, but I certainly don't feel 22 anymore :(