Age starting medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am 38 and almost done pre req

Members don't see this ad.

The way I figure... those who get into med school later in life just have to take good care of themselves and live longer so they have more time to practice medicine.

Retire and get bored... or keep working. I say living long and working past 65 is the way to go, regardless of when you start. My husband's granny is 90 and still owns a thriving photoshop. His Aunt is 70 something and is still a high powered lawyer who just climbed a famous mountain in Tibet. My great grandmother was a world traveling jewler until the day she died (in her 70s) and would have lived longer had she not been murdered by a drug addict thief.

I know it's human nature for people to focus at times on things outside the norm, but it still seems a bit of a function of our culture; so I am just going to say it. I never cease to be amazed by people's fixation on things like age.

Makes me wonder what people thought they were going to do with the rest of their lives after mid-thirties and up. So it's supposed to be 3 decades and then couch potato?

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes me wonder .... So it's supposed to be 3 decades and then couch potato?
couch+potato+cat.jpg

I'll be matriculating this year during the week of my 33rd birthday. Hoping there will be some over-30's in my class, but if not - I'll take it as a challenge to keep up with the young-uns!
:D

About 6% of all newly entering allopathic matriculants are over age thirty. That is about 1100 students spread out over 130 schools, which is about 8 students per class. About 1% of all newly entering allopathic matriculants are over 38, which is about 180 students. So every class on average should have a student or two near or over 40 years old.

Very interesting (and comforting) statistics. Thanks for sharing!

About 6% of all newly entering allopathic matriculants are over age thirty. That is about 1100 students spread out over 130 schools, which is about 8 students per class. About 1% of all newly entering allopathic matriculants are over 38, which is about 180 students. So every class on average should have a student or two near or over 40 years old.

Well, at least I can be somewhat confident that I won't be the only older person in class. :thumbup:

The only problem is that nontrads, like all minorities, tend to cluster together somewhat, as opposed to being randomly distributed. My school has >10% of each class who are over 30 at matriculation. Other schools will have relatively few older nontrads, especially if they're schools that care a lot about stats.

The best advice I can give you folks is to focus on fit/price tag and don't worry as much about class avg age. People tend to gravitate toward like minds of all ages. I wound up being good friends with two trads, because I had more in common with them than I did with many of my other classmates, including many of the nontrads. No matter where you go, you will find people you like and can befriend if you're open to it. It's best not to prejudge the trads based on their age, just as you'd prefer to not be prejudged by yours.:)

My case is weird. I think I would be considered a pseudo-nontraditional since I went another route rather than straight to medicine. 24 will hopefully be the age that I matriculate which is the average. :D

You are NEVER to old to do what you want, as long as you are willing to work hard! You guys are all YOUNG! I am 53 and in my 2nd semester of Medical School! Yes, its tough, but at this end of life, its amazingly interesting and you see it from a whole new perspective! I plan to be around for a while and do what good I can during that time!! So do not let ANYONE tell you that you cannot do this! JUST DO IT! There are many ways to get this done if you want this bad enough! :):):):) If I can do it, YOU can do it! We actually have someone that is 65 in an MD4 class! The only time your dreams should stop is when you die! My favorite saying "Only he who attempts the ridiculous achieves the impossible".

Reactions: 1 user
Same, I'm pseudo non-trad but will be 26/27 when I matriculate. But I just want to say that I am just astounded how much research and volunteering you have fit in in just a couple of years. How do you do it? You must be pulling 80 hour weeks!

Sigh...SDN never fails to make me feel like a lazy bum.

That sounds about right. I'm in classes for about 22 hours a week, work about 8 hours, tutor about another 8 hours or so, then usually about 12 hours between my ECs, and the rest is devoted to studying.

You are NEVER to old to do what you want, as long as you are willing to work hard! You guys are all YOUNG! I am 53 and in my 2nd semester of Medical School! Yes, its tough, but at this end of life, its amazingly interesting and you see it from a whole new perspective! I plan to be around for a while and do what good I can during that time!! So do not let ANYONE tell you that you cannot do this! JUST DO IT! There are many ways to get this done if you want this bad enough! :):):):) If I can do it, YOU can do it! We actually have someone that is 65 in an MD4 class! The only time your dreams should stop is when you die! My favorite saying "Only he who attempts the ridiculous achieves the impossible".

Are you doing a joint MD/PhD??

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still active and can update us on their quest to go to med school in their late twenties or thirties? Those who posted they were starting and have completed or are matriculated in med school, a follow up would surely help future readers. :thumbup:

Funny to see this thread back come up. So, I did get into medical school and started at age 33. I also managed to get into my dream school. And while there are usually just two 30-somethings per class (of 50), with the vast majority of students straight out of college, personally I don't feel that should be a deciding factor on any front. At least not for me. Sure, the first year there was a definite gap where I wasn't as interested as a lot of my classmates in going to the local bars, but I'm here for a great medical education - which is what I'm getting.

I think most of my classmates are pretty amazing people, and have enjoyed getting to know them and going through medical school with them, but I wouldn't say that I hang out with most of my class most of the time. Especially once you get to your third year, when you're pretty much on your own (spending all day with interns and residents instead). The dynamic changes completely. So it's really just the first two years where you may feel you stand apart a little. Also, class dynamics can change from year to year. At least at my school we seem to have alternating years that are more studious or more social. Regardless, everyone has been equally welcoming, and I was never made to feel like an outsider because of my age. It really was a non-issue.

I've found having a previous career has given me a lot more perspective than I would have had had I gone straight from college, and I do feel that it is an asset. Not just to me, but every one else I've come across in medicine has viewed it as a positive too. I can't help but think it will help when I apply to residency programs next year too. Speaking of which, medical school FLIES by. Literally. I thought that it would take forever to become a doctor, but once you get on the path, it seems to pick up speed until one day you blink, and you're almost a year away from graduation. Granted, there are still years of residency to complete, but it's really not the forever I thought it would take. You'll be so consumed that you won't have time to count the days. I would say that the beginning of the first year is the roughest part (i.e., culminating with anatomy), and then everything gets better (and more clinically applicable) from there on out.

Anyway, I remember when I first decided to quit my job and go back to school to try to apply to medical school, and realized I'd be in my 40s when I finished residency. I decided that I'd rather be a 40-something doctor than anything else. I also remember my mom's very first comment when I told her my plan, which was, "But you're too old to go to medical school!" She's very happily eaten those words, and is a very proud mother of a soon to be MD. If there's a will there's a way.... Good luck!

Ok, so I'm currently 34, if I am accepted in the 2011 cycle, I'll be 36 when I start. 40 when I'm done, unless I do LECOM's 3 yr FM program (which isn't my top choice), but... so what happens when you take classes, and the other students think you're 22. No really, (not bragging or anything) I have VERY oily skin, and still break out, and have no wrinkles or grey hair, so the kids in my classes think I'm their age. Is that going to benefit me when I'm being interviewed??? They look at me and forget I'm 35 (figuring I'll be 35 before I interview, Aug b-day).... ???? Any thoughts?? And in school, it is likely the other students wouldn't know I was so much older than them...

I am 36 right now and if accepted in the current cycle, i'll be 36 turning 37 in a month after starting

Ok, so I'm currently 34, if I am accepted in the 2011 cycle, I'll be 36 when I start. 40 when I'm done, unless I do LECOM's 3 yr FM program (which isn't my top choice), but... so what happens when you take classes, and the other students think you're 22. No really, (not bragging or anything) I have VERY oily skin, and still break out, and have no wrinkles or grey hair, so the kids in my classes think I'm their age. Is that going to benefit me when I'm being interviewed??? They look at me and forget I'm 35 (figuring I'll be 35 before I interview, Aug b-day).... ???? Any thoughts?? And in school, it is likely the other students wouldn't know I was so much older than them...
I suggest that you're worrying about something not worth worrying about.

If you act your age and look 10 years younger, that works well in any walk of life.

Your age will have less to do with how you're perceived by your classmates than what you're like - are you positive/supportive/relaxed/insightful-when-asked or are you a pompous arrogant know-it-all who jumps into conversations uninvited?

Best of luck to you.

Used to be the latter, now the former... it's that 10 yrs thing... Not really a worry for the record, was just a thought that I had this morning...

Also, why do you worry about whether other students will know how old or not old you are. Age is more than a physical appearance.

I have to agree. It doesn't really matter what the other students think. You'll find friends and make bonds.

I didn't finish my undergrad until I was 30. So the first day of class some students asked if I was the professor. The last day of class for a chem final, a young boy sitting next to me thought I was his peer and asked me on a date...

I went back and took some classes when I was 40. When I went to get some stuff done at the registrar - they thought I was a mom taking a college tour. Then when classes started some young boy hung out with me all the time (platonic).

So... some will think you are old, some will not... but really people will treat you how you feel and expect to be treated. And if anyone treats you strange because of your age it is more a reflection of their character than of you

Ok, you guys took that WAY WAY too seriously... It (as I said before) is NOT something I'm worried about it was a "hmmm I wonder..." Kind of thing... I'm not worried about turning 40, I'm not worried about making new friends, etc... I AM worried about the MCAT ;) :p

I hope it is, but I hate physics, soooo I'm a titch nervous... May 21st... *shudder*

Physics makes the world go 'round. :p

What!!! No, that's MAGIC!!!! And the world must be flat or we'd fall off!!! And clearly dinosaurs and humans coexisted!!! Hehehehehehehehe }:]> Yeah, it just wasn't my strong suit, neither was calculus... Either way, I have a couple people who will be tutoring me... Still scary to me!!!

Hi everyone!

I was 26 when I decided to quit my job and pursue medicine. I matriculated at 28, turned 29 shortly thereafter, and graduated last May at 32. I'm now 33 and well into my intern year in general surgery. I'm also in the Navy; the GME situation being what it is, I will be taking a 3-year hiatus from my residency to be an undersea medical officer. I currently plan to return to a gen surg residency (either civilian or military) afterwards, but who knows what the future will bring...

I am very close to that age and applying for MSTP in June. I know that for MD the age usually does not matter, but I wonder if MSTP and MD-PhD programs are any different.

Do you think that 35-40 is too late to start medical school? I was just curious about the ages of the non-trads that are starting medical school. Thanks :)

I am 36 and just now starting out by majoring in Biology (bs) I will be 40 when I apply for either the PA or DO program.

I AM worried about the MCAT ;) :p

I know what you mean. I'm confident about my ability to do well in my pre-reqs. But I have to admit, I'm concerned about the scope, magnitude and importance of the MCAT. Someone on this board posted that they got a 19 the first time they took it and a high 20 the second time. Seems rather random, as I don't know how the score would vary so much with the same person. I just hope I"m lucky and get the 'easy' MCAT :laugh:

I know what you mean. I'm confident about my ability to do well in my pre-reqs. But I have to admit, I'm concerned about the scope, magnitude and importance of the MCAT. Someone on this board posted that they got a 19 the first time they took it and a high 20 the second time. Seems rather random, as I don't know how the score would vary so much with the same person. I just hope I"m lucky and get the 'easy' MCAT :laugh:

It's not a linear scale. An improvement from 19 to 27 would be easier than going from 27 to 35.

I'm 29 and a first year and it works out fine for me. That said, age ranges seem to vary widely from school to school, an to some extent between classes in a school. My school is a young one, and my class even younger than typical. I think our average age must be 23, *maybe* 24. I'm one of the 4 or 5 oldest students in my class (of 170), and we have none older than 31.

So if it does matter to you that you have more peers closer to your age, you can look into what is typical at the schools you apply to. It doesn't matter a bit to me, and I don't generally feel out of place among my classmates in spite of being in a different position in my life than any of them (older, a mother, etc.).

hello all -
So I am too on the same boat as a few of you :)
Am 36 yrs old considering finishing something I started 17 yrs ago and couldn't: med school in the states.
I currently hold a BS in Microbiology, minor in Chem, an MBA - before all this education I did do 1.5 yrs of med school in Colombia (17 yrs ago)!
My questions pertains to the pre-reqs. I'm considering signing up for the Berkeley review to prep for the MCAT. However, I was advised to call the schools of my preference and inquire about the importance they place on re-taking the pre-reqs, since I've been away from academia for so long. Does it matter?? Apparently schools want to see if one can handle the load - my thoughts - it's all about the money!!
What has been your experience with a situation of this type? I'm assuming alot of us have not touched a science book in quite some time!!
Thank you!!

hello all -
So I am too on the same boat as a few of you :)
Am 36 yrs old considering finishing something I started 17 yrs ago and couldn't: med school in the states.
I currently hold a BS in Microbiology, minor in Chem, an MBA - before all this education I did do 1.5 yrs of med school in Colombia (17 yrs ago)!
My questions pertains to the pre-reqs. I'm considering signing up for the Berkeley review to prep for the MCAT. However, I was advised to call the schools of my preference and inquire about the importance they place on re-taking the pre-reqs, since I've been away from academia for so long. Does it matter?? Apparently schools want to see if one can handle the load - my thoughts - it's all about the money!!
What has been your experience with a situation of this type? I'm assuming alot of us have not touched a science book in quite some time!!
Thank you!!
Seems to me if you can get a good score on the MCAT and your prior gpa is strong you shouldnt have to retake classes. Still, no harm in talking to admissions depts.

I'll be 45 when I start.

The way I figure

• I'm going to by 65 someday whether or not I got to medical school. May as well follow me dream
  • I just have to take better care of myself and stay better preserved than the average person so that I have plenty of time to practice medicine
  • I have lots of life experience which will help me with the 'soft' side of being a doctor

If all goes as planned, I'll be 27 when I start. 27 may not be old but time sure does fly.

Old med studs rock. :) Keep at it, everyone!

Great drive and fortitude is seen in this thread!! I love medicine and would love a "do over" but I love retirement even more!!

Retired at 52 or work until I'm 67 with my genetics I picked the first one!! You guys keep it up though very exciting to see:D

I am interested in going to medical school.I am 34 now.I would also request those who posted to start med school in their late thirties, please update.

Anyone still active and can update us on their quest to go to med school in their late twenties or thirties? Those who posted they were starting and have completed or are matriculated in med school, a follow up would surely help future readers. :thumbup:

I am 51 and will be starting medical school in August. After three years of post-bacc work, I am pretty much over being the old guy in class. I knew my age would be a hurdle to getting admitted so I decided to kick ass academically to make up for it. Life is made up of choices and I choose to see myself as being seasoned and mature rather than old and used up. To those of you pondering whether it is too late to start in your late twenties or in your thirties, I say that you have no idea how much life you truly have in front of you -- live it to the fullest.

I am interested in going to medical school.I am 34 now.I would also request those who posted to start med school in their late thirties, please update.

If I get in off a waitlist I will be 35 :scared:

. To those of you pondering whether it is too late to start in your late twenties or in your thirties, I say that you have no idea how much life you truly have in front of you -- live it to the fullest.

Right. When I look back at all of the things that I have accomplished after I turned 30, I realize that even though years pass quickly, so do events. You can accomplish a lot in a short time. A friend of mine entered politics at age 33 and was speaker of the Oklahoma House before he was 45.

I am 40 and just took the MCAT in March. Scored a 31R, so possible entry into medschool after I turn 41.

dsoz

I'm so glad I looked at this thread. It's so easy to feel too old. The dental forums don't have a "non-traditional" section so I decided to come here out of curiosity.
I give you all a lot of credit, especially knowing that you will be in school with a residency/specialty much longer than I will.

I just turned 39, married with 2 young boys. I decided I want to go to dental school. I will apply the summer of 2012 and if all goes as planned I will will be 45.
I'm about to quit my job (and it's a good job) so I can go to school full time and get my pre-requisites and my bachelor's in biology. I'm so scared and of course I'm having second thoughts and questioning whether or not I want that responsibility. I am almost getting in my own way. I will be registering next week and then it's official.
I will then have to drop the bomb at work and my family and I will subsist on bologna sandwiches and less time with mom. This is the hardest decision I have had to make and it's eating me alive but the answer keeps coming back.........I must try.

From the statistics I've been reading, the average age for 1st year medical students hovers around 23-24. Is that figure creeping up? I'm applying this round at 21, and if I'm accepted, I will attend shortly after turning 22.

I guess there's a reason that more and more non-traditional students are gaining acceptance: the older you are, the more stuff you've had time to do. Assuming similar academic performance, older applicants have a time-dependent competitive edge on younger applicants.

I spent hours on the personal statement / work experience section of the AMCAS, knowing that, as a young'n, I need to make my ECs look awesome.

Hi everyone!

I was 26 when I decided to quit my job and pursue medicine. I matriculated at 28, turned 29 shortly thereafter, and graduated last May at 32. I'm now 33 and well into my intern year in general surgery. I'm also in the Navy; the GME situation being what it is, I will be taking a 3-year hiatus from my residency to be an undersea medical officer. I currently plan to return to a gen surg residency (either civilian or military) afterwards, but who knows what the future will bring...

Your story is AWESOME. Giving me hope. I have been having this sick feeling about just working a job to pay the bills with no fulfillment and being a doctor is always what I have wanted to be, just got discouraged through out the years but that desire has always been there. No more. I am going to be a doctor, Damn it!